This place is beautiful. The sounds of the jungle, the trees, the birds, the scenery and the buildings themselves are all lovely.
For us, particularly when paying this kind of price, we want more out of a resort than just great scenery. We've been lucky enough to stay at some amazing boutique resorts around the world, so maybe we're just spoilt, but I found this place to be lacking in some important ways.
We felt there were many things that could be improved. I will list a few of them here:
- Management: the resort's manager sat near the pool everyday, working on his laptop. He also conducted business meetings every day in the same area. I heard all about staff issues, invoicing issues and even witnessed a meeting about a villa sale - including all the contractual points & prices, including profits & how profits might be improved!! I thought that was really unprofessional and was the last thing I wanted to hear when relaxing around the pool on holiday.
- the villa: Perhaps I expected too much, but before arriving I imagined a villa surrounded by jungle, private & secluded, quiet & peaceful. This wasn't what we found. Our villa was within a few feet of the car park & within a few feet of the next villa. At night & early in the morning we were bothered by car headlights shining straight into our room and could hear the conversations of the people exiting their cars. Luckily the people next door to us were very quiet, but we heard them chatting a few times, just because they were so close.
- Service: although the staff are sweet and are trying their best, they obviously lack experience at this level and often seemed out of their depth with simple requests.
- Food: during our stay, food options were very limited. Whether breakfast, lunch or dinner, there was no menu and options were given to you verbally only. This may just be a personal preference, but I like to sit and look through a menu. For me, that's part of the experience of having a meal. Also, and I think this is particularly important, you are not given any idea of the cost of the options until you check out & pay the bill. There were a few unpleasant surprises at that point for us. Particularly when, because the options were very limited, I often found myself having something to fill me up, rather than something I'd really enjoy. The standard of the food ranged from average to very good.
I don't enjoy finding fault with our stay because Costa Rica is a beautiful, friendly & amazing place, but Tripadvisor is an invaluable tool for me when booking holidays & I hope this review is helpful to others considering staying at Oxygen Jungle Villas.
On the plus side, we enjoyed the gorgeous pool, the lovely little trail into the jungle, the good coffee, the wildlife, the jungle sounds and the comfy beds!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oxygen Jungle Villas is a small-scale and exclusive Balinese style boutique hotel. Located in Uvita, in the middle of the Costa Ballena, Costa Rica’s South Pacific hotspot. We guarantee individual and personalized service and a maximum of 24 guests (adults only) at all times, staying in one of the only 12 one-bedroom villas on the Oxygen estate. All this only minutes from some of the most pristine beaches in the world and centrally located between Costa Rica's most beautiful National Parks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Oxygen Jungle Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Hotel Uvita
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Costa Rica/Uvita