“Oxygen vs Rancho Pacifico” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oxygen Jungle Villas

You added Oxygen Jungle Villas to your Saves list
Oxygen Jungle Villas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino de Suenos | 1,5 km NE del Catarata de Uvita, Uvita, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Kansas City, Kansas
“Oxygen vs Rancho Pacifico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I'm sure that many of you who are researching this area are also looking at Rancho. I'm not going to get into the details of the roads up the hills and whatnot as that is fully covered. My wife and I stayed at both Oxy and RP last Feb. They are different. Overall, Oxy is more laid back and more hip in my opinion. RP is more refined and stylish. We stayed in one of the least expensive rooms at RP and while it was nice (great bathroom) it was a bit of a letdown from our room at Oxy. While everyone at RP (owners, staff, guests) were very nice, it just felt a little pretentious at times. Most guests here are staying at very expensive villas (very nice if you can swing it) and, at least while we were there, these guests seemed to all be members of a club we were merely visiting. That may sound weird but it's the only way I can describe it.

If we were to return, I'd pick Oxy over RP. It is not only a better value, it just feels better. The food at RP gets a slight edge (breakfast is great at RP and included) and the service at RP is slicker, Oxy just feels better.

One last difference, the staff at Oxy is pretty transparent. I mean this in a good way. Very accommodating and then they leave you alone. That's the way we like it. If you need people fawning all over you all the time then RP might be a better choice.

Room Tip: Try and get an ocean room as far to the right as you look down from the pool area. The first few ro...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

My husband and I were looking for an adventurous yet relaxing vacation for our 5 year wedding anniversary and our trip to Oxygen was exactly what we needed. We were able to have some adventure by driving along the coast from San Jose to Uvita, and by zip lining and waterfall repelling. The hotel itself was so different from anything we have ever experienced. From the moment we arrived, we felt like family. They gave us a refreshing complimentary drink and some cold towels to wash up after our journey as our luggage was being taken to our villa. The villas are like nothing we have ever seen before. We had a beautiful view of the ocean to awaken to every morning. It was also amazing to be awoken by the sound of howler monkeys and birds daily. the bed was very comfortable and the floors and bathroom were pristine and pretty.
We stayed during the transition from the rainy to the dry season. It rained daily, but mostly in the afternoon, at which point we were ready to relax in our villa anyway. It did rain for one entire day during our trip, but that forced us to relax more and enjoy the view from our porch. We did get a couples massage our third day, right after waterfall repelling, and that was the perfect way to end the day. My husband and I chose to eat at Oxygen all 5 nights of our stay. The five course surprise dinners were amazing, the food was so fresh, and it was easier to stay and eat than to drive up and down the mountain in the dark and the rain. My husband and I can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: Ocean view is amazing. I recommend Villa 4
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

First, the staff is excellent. When you get there (not an easy thing to do) you are greeted as if you're a regular with a handshake, a smile, and a signature cocktail. For your entire stay, all of the associates make you feel like an old friend. We especially liked that there was never any bills for dinner, cocktails, or even any discussion of money until you check out. It makes you feel like royalty and everything there is especially for you and your partner.
Second, their chef is extraordinary! We would urge anyone considering a trip to Oxygen Villas to secure reservations for dinner early and every night they are staying. He mixed the local and international ingredients expertly and rivals some of the best restaurants we've been to.
Third, the property is beautiful. Thanks to the glass walled villas, there are stunning views everywhere you look yet, surprisingly, you still feel like you have sufficient privacy to, umm, enjoy your honeymoon.
That brings me to my final point, while I could see any couple enjoying their stay there, its especially romantic for honeymooners. There aren't a slew of distractions or screaming kids running around like the big resorts. Just you and your partner enjoying the beauty of the scenery and each other's company. There are beautiful beaches and things like horseback riding within a few minutes drive but the town of Uvita remains relatively undeveloped as far as the usual tourist clutter. I guess the point is that it this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if slowing your pace a little and taking time to enjoy your stay is what you are looking for. It's not likely you will find anywhere else that will rival Oxygen Jungle Villas.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Yes, it's a tricky place to get to, but these folks want to help you get there. As you book and plan, they immediately respond to inquiries about activities, costs and directions. We chose to land in San Jose and spent then night, then drove to Oxygen, where we spent the next 5 days. Just be patient and enjoy the adventure that is driving in Costa Rica. That hill is something else, but the owners' directions are spot on and easy to follow.

We stayed in Villa 3, which has a great view of the ocean. The villas look close together as you pull up, but they are hidden from each other with a clever layout and lots of natural cover. We had a couple of ants bunk with us the first night, but they didn't hang around. The green toilet was interesting, but not as bad as the Grand Canyon (where you gotta pack it out with you). The glass walls are a nice touch, as are the privacy blinds you can pull over to cover them up. The air kept the room comfortable.

We wish we could give the service 6 stars. Upon arriving they unloaded our car and gave us drinks next to the pool. They offered to book trips and tours for us. They invited us to the evening dinner. They never ask for cash or a room number. We felt completely at home.

Starting with the tours: we did the zipline canopy tour and the whale watching. Both were wonderful. Oxygen has a good relationship with the local guides and businesses. They make a call and arrange everything--you just have to show up. The zipline guides gave a quick ecology lesson while taking us up to the platforms. I don't like heights at all but had a great time. The whale tour was beautiful. We saw some humpback families (they didn't jump out--we were told they mainly do that in the rainier season) and large turtles. The whale tour ended with some snorkeling above a little reef with some huge fish darting in and around it. Beautiful.

We spent another day on the beaches, which were incredible. At low tide there is a huge beach with hardly any people on it. We got fried and a little lost, but it was wonderful.

Enjoyed a morning hiking around the reserve and an afternoon relaxing by the pool. They pipe in some mellow trip-hop/electronic music into that area. It's soft like background music and they have speakers in the water so you can hear it when you go under. And the view from the pool area, as well as from our deck, was gorgeous.

The food was great. I'm a picky eater, but the evening meals, though pricey, are excellent and well worth the extra money. The breakfast and lunch is a little more regular, but also very good. The staff also know all the other places to eat, from the burger shack to the open air pizza joint where you can bring your own booze (and which is also draped in vines and flowers).

This place is different, but we were only too happy to have tried it out. The people there are wonderful. I reckon we'll be back there again one of these days.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed at Oxygen last May, and really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are beautiful, and private, even though they are close together. We loved the open air seating and glass walls. Oxygen doesn't have the Costa Rican feeling of so many other hotels in the area. The staff was European and American, and the resort had a European feeling. Our only complaint was some of the aspects of the room were not working 100%, like the shower handle coming off in our hands (ok, that was a Costa Rican thing :-), and the villas, pool lounges and restaurant tables were a little too close together. We had two dinners there, and one was to die for, the other, pork chops and red cabbage, missed the mark. I think you are better off going into the town for lunch or breakfast. We walked down the hill from the hotel to the highway, which took about an hour, and was a fun walk. The Uvita area is a fun and beautiful place to visit, and is easy to get to, now that the highway has been improved. I'd recommend Oxygen for a romantic, but somewhat isolated place to stay.

Room Tip: If privacy is important to you, ask for one of the more private villas. Ocean view is not necessari...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our week long honeymoon at the end of September. We have both traveled extensively and cant say enough good things about our experience. The staff, unique setting and unbelievable food definitely set this place apart. The staff were very attentive, friendly and knowledgeable - they felt like friends by the end of the week. The setting is unreal. We loved the trek up the mountains - no problem in a 4x4. This just added to the adventure. The River Trail is gorgeous - we hiked all the way up to the waterfall and got some of the best photos of the trip. We loved our Villa and spent many nights out on the porch taking in the gorgeous view - Ocean view is the way to go. And our favorite part of the day was dinner - we ended up eating at Oxygen every night of our stay and we still talk about our favorite meals. Overall, OJV provided to perfect mix of relaxation, seclusion and easy access to lots of local attractions - we tried surf lessons (ask for Tito!), mangrove tours, whale watching, ziplines, and horseback riding - all recommended and set up by the awesome staff. Thanks for everything - we WILL be back! :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at Oxygen for our honeymoon in September. After searching almost all hotels in Costa Rica we decided Oxygen looked like a pretty amazing and unique location which offered the things we were looking for: Seclusion, Relaxation in an upscale boutique setting.

Oxygen did offer a total seclusion...so much that we could not find the hotel on our first night of arrival (in the middle of a huge rainstorm and after over 12 hours of traveling). A major part of the problem was we did not have directions. We requested them via email days before our arrival however never received them. As you will see hotel management mentions in other reviews it is impossible to find Oxygen without directions and this is very true. So be sure to request directions ASAP upon booking your room or you may run into the same problem we did. To our luck there was a Uvita tourist office open and they were able to provide us the directions to the hotel. After driving ten minutes up the unpaved bumpy road to the hotel we found the first bridge we had to cross was completely flooded with water...maybe 3-4 feet of water rushing over the bridge. Unfortunately it was just not safe to cross so we had to drive back into town and find another hotel for the night and we checked into Oxygen the following morning. Oxygen did not charge us for this night. Since the bridge flooding continued to be an issue over the next few days resulting us in waiting over an hour on multiple occasions for the water level to go down in order for us to cross, Oxygen did have someone dig out some rocks under the bridge allowing the water to pass under rather than over.

The 15 minute drive up and down the unpaved road got pretty old after the 3rd day. To me it was such a chore that once we left in the morning we did not want to come back until we were totally done for the day to avoid multiple trips up and down. This also meant we were constantly traveling with all our important belongings in case they were needed during the day (passports, a few hundred dollars cash, camera, camcorder, IDs, credit card). The hotel activities were very limited when we arrived back for the evening. Your options were to eat the 4 course dinner, read a book, swim if it wasn't raining (but generally was a little cool to swim after the rain), or rent a dvd from the front desk to watch on a mini handheld dvd player. If the power went out (which happened to us 3 times during our stay) your options were even more limited all though dinner could still be served in this instance.

We ended up checking out three days early because we were bored and also wanted to be closer to the airport for our departure.

Tho sleeping rooms were very average. They have an open inviting feel with all glass walls and a minimalistic decor. Once we spent a night in the room we began to notice the shortfalls. My biggest complaints would be:

1. The quality of the bedding which seemed old and ratty as if it had been washed a million times before. The bed itself and pillows were very comfortable.

2. The toilet facilities disgusted me. I do appreciate the "green approach" that oxygen has implemented which is that you may not flush toilet paper but instead put it in the trashcan. Unfortunately the glass enclosed toilet facility smelled like a similar to a port-a-pot. Every time I used the bathroom I was practically gagging. I had to take a bar of soap in to smell every time I entered to prevent from getting sick. It didn't seem to bother my husband as much...maybe I am just overly sensitive to smell. I think a better system would be to put the toilet paper in some sort of chute that was stored outside in a enclosed container until emptied by staff.

3. The hot water heater for the sink and shower was extremely loud anytime you turned the water on.

All the staff was absolutely wonderful! They were very knowledgable of the area and so helpful in booking tours. Also, they were always so kind and made you feel very special. They would be standing at your car door with an umbrella anytime you arrived during rain, they carried your luggage to your room, would engage in friendly conversations, gave you clean towels before you left to go to the beach for the day (without even having to ask). We really enjoyed talking to all the the staff that worked during our stay.

The four course surprise dinners were spectacular! We only ate there 2 times in a week as it was a little pricey but the meals were VERY delicious and fresh! Expect to spend about $64 for two people before drinks. It takes 2.5-3 hours from start to finish to get through the four courses. This is much longer than we wished to be eating for...I was almost falling asleep be the end of dinner both times. Again, the food was always very delicious so its really a matter of preference on price and time...the dinner is guaranteed amazing in taste!

The nature trail and waterfall was really pretty. The grounds are well maintained and the plant life is just beautiful.

Overall I would rate Oxygen a 3 out of 5 or average. Although very a unique and beautiful setting, good dinners, and excellent staff, this hotel is missing the mark on the items I mentioned. Being very active this hotel was a little too low key for us. If you are looking to explore the area, go on tours, etc., the location of Oxygen may be more troublesome than its worth. We found we would have preferred to be somewhere with easier access to the main roads and activities. If you are looking to stay put at the hotel for total peace and quiet and to spend your vacation reading, swimming, tanning, and relaxing...maybe some spa and yoga during the day....Oxygen may be the perfect place for you.

Room Tip: Villa 3 looked like the best view of the ocean. Villa 12 looked to be the best for jungle views and...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Oxygen Jungle Villas? Share your experiences!