“Best holiday in years” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Cabuya
Brussels, Belgium
“Best holiday in years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 14 days. The first time was 3 years ago on a roundtrip trough costa rica. But i went back to this hotel for the beautiful walks trough cabo blanco natural parc. The hotel is a great place to relax. The food they serve is very good. And they sell the best hamburger of cabuya at hotel celaje. My personal favourite. I had no problems with the staff. Santino was very nice to me. Great guy and he was good on the job. My room was in perfect working order. And a great shower which we europeans and gringo,s will fit under. Had other experiences in costa rica. The room was perfect great hammock and good fridge for chilled drinks. The beachview at hightide is awesome. And i took a tour for watching whales. I can say wooooooow awesome to see a whale and so close. So great place to stay. And enough to do and see on the nicoya peninsula. Montezuma is a small town close around but really touristic. If you love nature and want to see nice animals like whales, monkeys, butterflys, birds, and a perfect place for fishing. I did some good fishing at cemetary island. And a nice island to visit. You can go by foot with lowtide. Great people in cabuya also at little chico the supermarket. On bad remark watch out for tourists on quads and the road just outside the hotel. The tourists on quads drive like lunatics. So drive your car slowly from the parkinglot. And about the setting of the restaurant. Really great you will feel like you entered a setting of pirates of the pacific. To all the staff thank you very much for giving me a great holiday with excellent service. Great job! A very happy tourist who has to save up for the next holiday. And i might considering comming back. Because great to experience this hotel. Much better then a hotel booked by a big touroperator where you get nothing what they promise you. At hotel celaje i got more then i could dream of. So it made it the best holiday in years.

• Stayed February 2014

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Ok, I think this place is overpriced and a bit overrated. If would rate this place much higher if it prices were to fit the quality you get.

I agree with some of the more negative comments such as the burnt lamp shades, noise, small bathrooms and sketchy restaurant ambiance (human skulls and animal bones everywhere). Oh and the lamps and power outlets in our cabin didn't work. Also, I went through some of the comments that the manager has written here on TripAdvisor...wow! Had I read these rude comments before and I would have avoided this hotel.

On the bright side. Cabins are OK, the food is good and some of the staff is very friendly. Beachfront location is nice at high tide.

Make sure you visit Isla Cabuya (cemetery island) on low tide. Also, there is a good soda (small restaurant) right next to Chiko Supermarket in downtown Cabuya, the lady there serves good food at incredibly low prices...this is why you see the locals eating there.

Room Tip: the farthest you can from the road!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
mandreamer, Manager at Hotel Celaje, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thanks for your review. Its all abouth money, discounts and cancelations that people dont want to pay.
How can people be that mean.
You did not want to pay for the nights you booked. And than had the complain that the bathroom was dirthy.
As i asked to show me there was nothing wrong and the only complain you had to invent was that you didnt like the bathtowel. Only 2 weeks old.
Than you blackmailed us you would post a bad review and you did.
Sorry you don,t belong in Costa Rica at least not in our hotel.
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Celaje for 3 nights. The cabin was clean and rustic. It had a small refrigerator which was sufficient. The hot shower works if you run the water on low because it has little electric heater and how it is designed. We enjoyed relaxing on the patio in the hammock. The swimming pool was large and clean with views of the ocean. The breakfast buffet was great with lots to choose from. This hotel is on a rocky beach so you can't swim in it but great views with tons of hermit crabs crawling in the night. Howler monkeys came to visit a few times as well. This place is gated and they lock the gate every night. The road is little bit noisy with ATVs driving by but we slept OK, bed was comfortable. I recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
mandreamer, Manager at Hotel Celaje, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your review.
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This hotel is out dated and in need of repair and maintenance. The owner of this hotel complained the few times that we seen him about his out of control staff and their lack of effort and untrustworthyness. He was only there once a day for an hour....maybe, then left for the day. When the cat is away the mice will play. We seen that full circle. The staff lounged around all day until they heard the owner's car, then they ran around trying to get things done in the least amount of time. The cleaning lady took about 4 minutes to clean our room. Our room didn't have any hot water and when asked to change rooms we were told none of the rooms had hot water, the screening on the windows were ripped and repaired with an elastic. We reserved 5 nights at this hotel and we had to leave after the 3rd night because we couldn't tolerate the staff's rowdiness and they made us very uncomfortable. The owner still charged us for 5 days even though he knew he had trouble with his staff but was quite content to leave his guests alone with them.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Manhattan, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Celaje for 3 nights last month and enjoyed the stay. The grounds were nice and in a forested area immediately adjacent to a rocky beach. The pool was very clean and refreshing, especially for those private late night dips. The cabana was clean, and a bit rustic in a good way with all the tropical hardwoods used in its construction. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was small but quite clean and functional, and it was fun to sit on the front patio in the morning and see the birds and the small family of howler monkeys that came through each morning.

The breakfast buffet (included) in the morning was quite good and satisfactory, but I can't comment on other meals there as we ate out during the days. The second evening we had some food that needed refrigerated and the small refrigerator in the cabana wouldn't work, so we told the staff and the proprietor Marco came by and attempted a fix with no success, then promptly got another unit for us that worked perfectly for the task. The only con for the place was that the road is close to most of the cabanas and it seemed there was quite a bit of traffic noise for an hour or so each evening...but then again, you have to keep in mind that the hotel is located in a very rural area and the road is gravel, so there really isn't that much traffic. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this place again. I enjoyed it!

Room Tip: If I had a choice, I would get one of the cabanas farthest away from the office/restaurant, as the f...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at the beautiful Celaje for two wonderfull nights of our hoilday. Our cabin was great with everything we needed . I really enjoyed my hours on the hammock reading. We saw monkeys in the trees right outside our cabin. The pool was great with loungers to relax in and had a safe shallow end for kids. The gardens are fantastic with a little pathway through the palm trees to the secluded beach . Marco the host couldn't have done more to accommodate us both. He organised a trip of a lifetime for myself and my girlfriend to go out dolphin watching . Went out on a great local boat with Marco and two local fishermen. He put on a spread of food and drinks for us all too. We had dolphins jumping up next to us on our unforgettable day out . On the way back I caught my first ever fish, a Dorado which we all had cooked to perfection that night in the lovely restaurant. I would highly recommend this beautiful place . Many thanks to Marco and his great team of staff at the Celaje.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel is really nice, especially if you're looking for a more quiet place than Montezuma. The cabins are lovely, just like the rest of the property. Only disadvantage is the beach, entering the water is kind of a challenge because of the rocks. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed our week in hotel celaje.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
mandreamer, Owner at Hotel Celaje, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thanks for staying at this special place.

Been to Hotel Celaje? Share your experiences!