“Doing yoga in paradise is beyond my wildest dreams come true!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sanctuary at Two Rivers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabuya
The Sanctuary at Two Rivers
Beach Road, Cabuya, Montezuma 5361, Costa Rica   |
“Doing yoga in paradise is beyond my wildest dreams come true!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Participation in a yoga retreat at the Sanctuary merged calming energies & individual growth. Meditating to the sounds of the vibrant, living jungle made real my personal paradise. My sensory taste horizons were broadened in lovingly delicious ways through flavor pairings I never imagined, but now embrace. Every possible detail to ensure comfort is attended to in such a subtle way it simply blends into the wild jungle surroundings. Wild jungle visitors, Howler & Capuchin Monkies, stroll by in treetop paths at perfect viewing distance. Resident yoga dogs provide quiet, gentle affection to those of us missing our own pets. Jeff's easy, go with the flow manner helped bring relaxation to another plain. He leads by his values as he gives us a glimpse into eco-conscious living in the unparalleled beauty of Costa Rica that we will treasure forever.

• Stayed January 2013

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Avon, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have just returned home from an amazing week at the Sanctuary at Two Rivers, and I am still glowing from the experience.

As the co-leader of a Yoga Retreat, I was impressed by the professionalism of the owner from the moment we decided to bring a group to his facility. Putting together this retreat hundreds of miles from home was nearly effortless because of his incredible communication and attention to detail. By the time we arrived, we were absoluely blown away by the beauty of the facility, from the Treehouses where we stayed, to the pool, to the Yoga Pagoda. All were incredible. We were greeted by all kinds of jungle sounds...monkeys, birds, insects. We were surrounded by a feast for our eyes...lush vegetation, flowers, unusual fruits, interesting birds and animals. I have never had the opportunity to practice yoga in a more beautiful space as the Yoga Pagoda. We never used music in classes. The jungle provided plenty.

The food was perhaps the best I have ever tasted. I could not believe the combinations of flavors and textures we were treated to. There was a lot of food, and we all looked forward to the creative works of art that we began to expect on our plates. We took pictures of our food because it was so beautiful! The chef prepared everything with love. In fact, we felt as if we had been welcomed into someone's home the entire time we were there.

The four dogs who live at the Sanctuary were friendly and delightful, and they brought the entire group a lot of happiness. They became part of our retreat family, and we enjoyed the greeting we received each morning! The smallest one led us to yoga in the morning and often hiked out with us to the taxi that took us to excursions. He would be waiting for us when we returned.

The excursions were excellent, fun and easily arranged. The Sanctuary website was clear, accurate, and we used it extensively as we planned our trip.

Thank to the owners of Sanctuary for a truly unique and incredible vision and for helping us to make our retreat a truly memorable and transformative experience for our retreat participants. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I co-lead a yoga retreat here Dec/Jan 2012/2013 and what a fantastic retreat location. We absolutely loved the eco-accommodation surrounded by lush vegetation, the smell of ylang, ylang, the colors and sounds of the jungle.

The food was absolutely stellar - top of the line gourmet vegetarian and vegan. The coffee was strong. The staff were flexible about moving meal times to accomodate our retreat.

The yoga pagoda was stunning...beautiful hardwood floor, incredible views, overhead fans. It is quite simply one of the most spectacular places I've ever taught yoga.

Jeff and Perrey the owners were gracious and interesting. It was fascinating to hear how they manifested the property as labor of love and an exercise in making your dreams come true while acting in harmony with the environment.

The fact that the retreat center is completely off road was a total bonus. We loved that it was completely isolated and feel this is a huge selling point for a retreat location. I didn't leave the property for 7 days and after about 3 days felt a very big shift in my nervous system. I became very relaxed and felt notably more spacious. The rejuvenative effects of time fully immersed in nature cannot be overstated.

The pool was an added bonus and it was lovely to have a poolside massage from a wonderful therapist at a very reasonable rate.

We hiked to an amazing waterfall - about 35 mins through a river feeling like we were in the movie Avatar as went! Totally, totally gorgeous and mind blowing.

There is another, smaller waterfall on the property. Perrey was particularly helpful in guiding us to both.

All things considered this is a fabulous retreat center. And it is a RETREAT center, not a luxury resort. They don't do meals on demand, or even snacks. There is not wifi through out (but Jeff will let you connect through his phone up at the meal area) and it's completely off road (you can go down to the beach/nearby towns for surfing and exploration and will be pretty much on your own in terms of walking up and down through the river, although Jeff will organize a taxi for you once you're down) - as a seasoned retreat participant and leader, these are all bonuses. I go on yoga retreat exactly because I want to get away from being constantly online, always in the hub of things, for a time of less stimulation, reflection, relaxation and rejuvenation.
The Sanctuary offers all of these and more. Go there. Just remember it is a yoga retreat center, not a resort, so leave your high maintenance self at home and dive in!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chappaqua, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was perhaps the best vacation I have ever taken. I travel a lot and have found myself caught up in the doing of things. See this....see that.... This vacation was totally different. Firstly, I did not go on a group retreat. I went all by myself and was very comfortable with that.I was in Eden: a serene, tranquil retreat with beautiful private waterfalls. I had never practiced yoga previously and was concerned as I'm a little older and with arthritis I wasn't sure I could master all of the positions. Every morning, I had a yoga class that was tailored to me. The food was fabulous and although I have eaten more than I ever have in my life, I did not gain weight. I was offered trips off of the grounds, but found myself wanting to stay and swim under the waterfalls, hike to the mountain top to watch the sunrise, and gawk and photograph the amazing howler and white faced monkeys. I had a lot of emotional issues before coming: family, work etc. but found this so restorative and left with a huge smile. Hospitality, beauty....it's all here in the jungle. One last thing- Max taught me the ukele and I just bought one and am having a blast with it. Jeff, thanks for all. It was truly amazing.

Room Tip: I was in the treehouse with the big king bed. Just lovely.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Sanctuary at Two Rivers is amazing! I spent a week here for a retreat and my experience was perfection. From the accommodations, to the delicious healthy food, friendly staff, beautiful surroundings I could not have asked for a better time. The Sanctuary at Two Rivers is like living in paradise. I felt like I was in the movie Avatar...from the beautiful waterfalls, hikes, outdoor open living accommodations, local surfing, wildlife (literally cute little monkeys swinging in the trees right outside our treehouse), I did not want to go home. The yoga pagoda is gorgeous and serene and the pool is awesome. I highly recommend taking a trip here...I will be back very soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Sanctuary at Two Rivers was an amazing time! So special and one of kind healthy, inspirational and relaxing experience. The best retreat, I have ever been to which have included many! Beautiful tree houses (breathtaking waking up and going to sleep looking out at jungle!), five star organic meals (photos taken by everyone of Marcella's masterpieces before being devoured!), wonderful yoga (Jasper was the best each morning!) and awesome surfing Richard and Elijah, so cool and nice getting me up!). Jeff and Perrey, the owners were incredible to get to know and learn about the time and detail they dedicated to the building of the Sanctuary. Respecting and adding to the growth of the environment, along with hiring local workers to help bring their dream to fruition. I am so fortunate to have experienced their dream firsthand and hope you will too sometime in 2013 - whether alone, with your significant other or good friends!

Mountain View, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This place is amazing. I've been on vacation in a lot of great places, and this is one of the very best experiences I have had. The accommodation is outstanding quality given its remote location in the jungle. The hospitality and care of the owners and staff is unsurpassed, and the food is healthy and delicious. Every meal is like eating at a top restaurant. I am recommending this place to everyone I know. It was a great place to go to relax and rejuvenate and also to improve my surfing skills.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Sanctuary at Two Rivers? Share your experiences!