“Perfect "Real" Costa Rican Adventure” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 3 Attractions in Cabuya
More attraction details
Owner description: Solo Bueno Tours specialises in offering immersive tours to small groups in tranquil locations. Our tours are for people who prefer to venture down the road less travelled. This is a locally owned and operate company. Our bilingual guides are expert fishermen, divers and tour guides and want nothing more than for you to experience the real beauty and spirit of Costa Rica. Our tours are all based out of Cabuya and best appeal to adventurous sprits. We offer tours of Cabuya Island, Fishing, Snorkeling, Kayaking, Horse Riding. Cabuya is a beautiful town that has retained it's true Tico spirit. Cabuya Island. Discover Cabuya with Solo Bueno Tours.We work with the hotels in Montezuma and Cabuya. A day trip to Cabuya is also a fun thing to do if you're staying on the other side of the peninsula in Mal Pais or Santa Teresa.
Pittsburgh
“Perfect "Real" Costa Rican Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My partner Jonathan and I went to Costa Rica for 7-day trip this month. We rented a car and stayed in multiple places (Punta Leona/Jaco, Montezuma, Malpais, San Jose). While we were in Montezuma we saw a ton of travel companies stationed in the downtown area, but none of them really "wowed" and had a cattle-like factor, so we decided to keep on with adventuring on our own. We decided to head down to Cabo Blanco Nature Reserve (not knowing that CB is closed on Mon/Tues), so we were quite disappointed to get down there and find that it was closed and decided to head back into town (Cabuya). As we were driving into Cabuya, we noticed a sign for "Solo Bueno Tours" and decided to stop and I asked for the tour operator. This tour HQ is actually the home of Jeffry (the owner), and he was there enjoying a meal with his family. I didn't want to interrupt, but he seemed more than happy to welcome our inquiry.

I quickly learned more about Solo Bueno Tours (which is just Jeffry) and what kind of tours he offered, and within a second he proposed a customized tour for the tour of us based on our interests (which was a little bit of everything - hiking, swimming, and snorkeling). He dropped everything and within minutes we were on our way. We hiked through the edge of Cabo Blanco, hiked to secret Cabuya Waterfalls and went for a swim, spotted exotic monkeys/birds/, picked limes. The entire hike Jeffry shared stories about growing up in these lands (this was his "backyard" so he knew the area very well...in fact we were often WAY off the actual trails) and gave us ecological lessons along the way. We even found ourselves up in the hills of an old farm, and before we knew it we had a dozen cows parading us. That was pretty funny....

After the hike we went back to Jeffry's house to get ready for the next portion of our day - Isla Cabuya (Cabuya Island). During low tide, you can actually walk there, so that's exactly what we did. This beautiful island houses a cemetery (including Jeffry's grandmother), and Jeffry knew the stories of nearly all of the deceased who lay to rest there. After that we went snorkeling off the island (he provided us with snorkeling gear), but unfortunately we didn't see much of anything as the recent rains made the water pretty cloudy)...in any case, it was fun! After a little while of swimming and snorkeling, we walked back to the mainland.

After our adventure we drove back to Jeffry's house and hung out a while with him and his house guests (in addition to running a tour company, he also rents out a room via airbnb.com). He highly recommended we check out Cabuya Bakery and cafe for lunch (which was probably the best meal we had in Costa Rica). He gave us tips for the best way to hike to Montezuma Falls, as there are 3 different swimming areas, which many folks don't know about (and we ended up going there after our tour). He also gave us some other recommendations (Vista de Olas hotel and restaurant in Malpais), where we ended up staying the next night - and it was GREAT.

This is an adventure we couldn't have had with another tour company. It was spontaneous, personal, intimate (just us!), highly educational, adventurous, and affordable. Beyond the tour, he also gave us tips (NOT in the guide books) that were essential in helping us chart the rest of our course in Costa Rica. We spent the whole day with him...and we felt like we made a new friend, too.

I can't recommend Solo Bueno enough. We literally showed up at his doorstep, and he took us on with no notice, and showed us the best day we had in Costa Rica. If you're looking for the "real" Costa Rican adventure, look no further!

Visited August 2012

Fort Collins, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
“Best day of our whole 11 day trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was by far the best thing we did our entire trip. We HATE large groups of people on tours – that is NOT fun! If you are adventurous and like personalized attention, this tour company is for you! Jeffry specializes in small group tours. In our case, it was myself, my husband and our 8 year old daughter. I happen to find his company just by chance. I was looking on Trip Advisor at things to do in the southern Nicoya, as we were staying in Mal Pais. I noticed that there were companies that did snorkel trips to Tortuga Island out of Montezuma. However, I also knew that those were what my husband and I like to call “cattle boats” – tons of people on them! Snorkeling elbow to elbow with other people is NOT fun! I saw some positive reviews for Solo Bueno Tours and Googled the company to see if I could find a web page. I then inquired about prices. I corresponded via e-mail with Tara. She was super helpful in answering all of my questions. I told her that we were definitely interested, but that we didn’t want to book until we got there, as we didn’t want to be on a rigid schedule. She gave me Jeffry’s number so I could call him once we were in Mal Pais.

We called him up and met him in Cabuya at the bakery, which by the way, has a delicious breakfast! He was on his motor bike with Carlos who was carrying all the poles and spear guns. We followed them down to the Cabuya fishing village. Our plan was to walk out to the island at low tide. However, when we got there the tide was still high. Jeffry saw that my husband had free dive fins and realized that he was an experienced free diver, so we decided to get a boat. Carlos drove us around in the boat. My husband and Jeffry spearfished while my daughter and I snorkeled. We had a great time swimming around and saw lots of stuff. My husband speared several fish and they also got lobsters (YUM!!!). In addition, Jeffry got scallops. He cut them open right on the boat, put some lime on them and we had ceviche in the boat!

After we got our fill of snorkeling/spearfishing we went onto the island to check out the cemetary. It’s really pretty cool. Jeffry knows a lot about the history of it and is happy to share. He also busted open a coconut for us, so we could eat it for a snack.

We had the BEST time with Jeffry.To be honest, if we had done this tour earlier in the week, we would have probably come back again for at least another day of it or another tour. It was that FUN! If you want to have a more personalized Costa Rica experience, then give him a call! Skip the big tour companies in Montezuma – I assure you that you will not get the same experience!

Visited June 2012
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

I did the tour about 2 years ago
Heard about it through other travelers
I stayed in montezuma 9 nights and went on tours with Jeffry 7 times after the first day
Jeffry will take you to some of the most beautiful places that not many others would see in montezuma
The snorkeling and fishing is unbeliveable we caught the biggest fish I've ever caught it was huge 20kgs
Tara and Jeff are your tour guides but they end up being your friends too,So much fun to hang around with .
Jeff will make sure you have a feast of seafood caught right then and there once you are finished
Had the best time,And I'm going back there again next year and doing it all again
All equipment is top of the line
I highly recomend this tour
Leig

Ahsahka, Idaho
“Great trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Jeffry and his wife, Tara, were awesome working with us. We spent a day with Jeffry kayaking, snorkeling and fishing. His knowledge of the area, water, and sincere interest in making sure our trip with his was great far exceeded our expectations! His equipment was top of the line and well maintained. Great guy, go out with him, you'll love it!

Visited June 2011