“"Stylish value for money"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manor Guest House

You added Manor Guest House to your Saves list
Manor Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   43 Viljoen Street | PO Box 991, Lydenburg 1120, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Lydenburg B&B and Inns
budapest
“"Stylish value for money"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Lydenburg lies at the heart of a farming community. It is an historic yet unpretentious (and not very lovely) town on the edge of the low veldt country and famous old gold-mining district, an area of breathtaking vistas. After a drive on a main road from the motorway that has more potholes than a Swiss cheese it was a true delight to reach this delightful guest house, a largish house set in a wonderful green garden with rooms (rather like horse boxes, even with doors in 2 sections) along one wall. The beds are handsome and comfy, there are lovely little touches to the rooms and a big tub to bathe in. To a European a town like Lydenburg has its surprises - such as no street lighting (other than shop windows) - and barely any restaurants except a busy, cheap, excellent value but extremely noisy family-orientated fish one (another oddity as Lydenburg is several hours inland). If touring this under-rated and beautiful part of South Africa I cannot recommend this place too highly. Breakfast was a delight and the managers (and owners) were all very friendly and full of useful local information.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in late April and stayed 3 days. We paid $40 per night, an absolute bargain. The rooms are clean and well equipped, the service is friendly and professional, the breakfasts are included and expertly prepared to your order. Hilda, the manager, is the best manager anywhere. While we were sitting in the beautiful and large garden after a full day of sight seeing, she brought us coffee and whiskey cheerfully and promptly. She is from a farming family in the area and very knowledgable about what there is to see and do. There is a pub, a pool, a restaurant, and it is walking distance to everything in town.

I will be back. The garden is delightful, the service is so good, the restaurant serves food too good to pass up. Because the hotel is so well run, it is frequently full, so book early and prepared to be coddled.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Hands down the best guest house I have been to.
Well kept, great value for money, awesome breakfast!
I would definitely recommend this venue for any couple or family looking to spend a peaceful weekend (or week) away in the Lydenburg area, while having a luxurious and comfortable place to sleep and wind down.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nelspruit, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My company booked me at the Manor Guest House. I went with trepidation after reading the "deadbeat" review. True, the establishment is no five star but the rooms are very clean and comfortable. They also make up for that with the warmth of the owner and her staff members. The food is also very good. I will stay at the establishment any day when I'm in Lydenburg.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the entrance slightly noisier due to traffic
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I don't like writing negative reviews, but do feel it's fair to warn people that Manor Guest House is not a luxury establishment, nor one that I would consider 4-star.

We asked for early check-in at 10am so I could work in the room while my husband was working on site and were told there was no problem. When I arrived a little after 10, nobody was aware that I was coming and I had to wait while they hurriedly cleaned the room.

The property is on the main road in town, which means that it's very noisy. There is a constant stream of trucks passing by. I was very thankful that the room we were allocated wasn't the closest one to the road, although it was still noisy, even with all the windows closed. I guess that if traffic doesn't bother you, it's a convenient location to walk to the shops, which are 5min away.

Everything in the room functioned fine, including the Wifi (thank goodness), but the place lacks the attention to detail one expects from a supposedly upmarket establishment. There was hardly any toilet paper, the plastic lavender plant on the vanity needed a good wipe down, the skirtings had been eaten away by termites, the air freshener bottle was empty and there was still masking tape on the walls, which are obviously in the process of being repainted.

Later in the afternoon while I was working, a staff member knocked on my door and without waiting for a reply came into the room. She replenished the toilet paper and put two rusks into an empty jar on the tea tray before leaving again.

There was a heater, a kettle and an electric blanket (for which I was very grateful), but because there are not enough plug points, to use the electric blanket one must crawl under the bedside table and unplug the bedside lamp. You can't use the kettle / lamp / electric blanket / other electric appliance at the same time. This could be quite easily be fixed by providing an extension lead with additional plug points.

While there is tea and coffee in the room, you have to ask at reception if you want milk, which is a pain if you want a cuppa after hours.

We knew there wasn't a great selection of restaurants available in Lydenburg, so we had also asked beforehand if we could use the braai (BBQ) facilities advertised by Manor Guest House and we were told it wouldn't be a problem. When we reminded the owner about this, she said it was fine, but she would charge us to use her wood or firelighters. We had purchased charcoal, so we assured her we wouldn't need her wood, but asked if we could use her matches. She said she didn't have any in the house and that we should walk into town to purchase a box. She was very friendly and pleasant, but didn't seem ready to go to any trouble for her guests.

In the end, we purchased braai tongs, paper plates and serviettes, as it was clear we weren't going to receive any help from the guest house. Thankfully, one of the kitchen staff, KB, came to our aid after watching us struggle and brought us some proper plates to use.

On the plus side, when my husband said he would need to leave very early the next morning to be on site, they organised a packed lunch for him to take with him, which KB brought to us while we braaied.

I ate breakfast the next morning at Manor Guest House and it was very pleasant. While I was eating, however, the owner came through and asked for my room key. She wanted to give it to the person who would be staying in the room that night before he left for a business meeting.

This meant that I had to get someone to unlock my room with the master key and then showered nervously with my luggage pushed up against the room door in case someone decided to knock and enter without waiting for a reply again.

When I went to reception to settle my bill, the owner had gone to town and I had to stand around and wait 10 minutes for her to return as the staff member on duty couldn't assist me. This annoyed me as they knew I would be checking out before 10am and could have waited until then to go to the computer store.

While killing time in the foyer, I did notice that the AA rating certificate (for Superior accommodation) expired in 2010 and that the 4-star grading from the Tourism Grading Council expires in September this year.

Manor Guest House is not a bad establishment. It's just not what we were expecting from the images on the website, the reviews we read (bar one very negative one) and the 4-star grading.

If you are a professional working onsite near Lydenburg who will just need to eat and sleep at the guest house rather than spending any time there, and you're not bothered by traffic or lack of attention to detail, Manor Guest House may suit you just fine. Personally, I htink there are much nicer places to stay in Lydenburg.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the main road!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed at the Manor Guest House on 12 th June. We booked well in advance and paid in full. We were en route for a short break in the Kruger. There were confirmations and we also called twice on the way to confirm arrival arrangements. On arrival we were rerouted to the owner's house where there were two rooms in the back. One towel for two people. Used bars of soap. A cracked heater and above all, an unprotected wall adjacent to the veld. The worst part of this is that we dealt directly with the owner (Caroline) who at no time told us she was fully booked and actually presented this alternative as if she was doing us a big favour. It was rubbish. Clearly when you decide to stop in a mid journey "dorp", take care that you ensure you know what you are in for.

In the event of a challenge to the accuracy of the above we have the photos to prove it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Overton, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

We stayed at the Manor Guest House in Lydenburg originally because we oculd not get rooms in Pilgrim's Rest. What a pleasant surprise. The Guest House is a nice 1920s villa with lovely gardens and a refreshing oudoor pool, within easy walking distance of the centre of town. The rooms are clean and confortable, breakfast is excellent and everyone really friendly. Unlike several of the small towns and villages in the area, Lydenburg is a 'real' town, bustling with life and with plenty of shops. It isn't a pretty town, but then it isn't full of just tourists either, and it does have an interesting museum. Perhaps just as importantly, for those who like their roads scenic, mountainous and twisting, it is at one end of the famous Long Tom Pass, 50 or so km of fun - a great way to start or finish your day. Stay here and take in the tourist spots in the daytime.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Manor Guest House? Share your experiences!