“Time stands still” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Melbourne, Australia
“Time stands still”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I remember the first time - more than 20 years ago - that I stepped out of my comfort zone and climbed the stairs to Thy Thy 1. I was a bit shell-shocked at my first sight of the very basic facilities and no-nonsence approach of the staff. But once I sunk my teeth into that magnificent Pho, I knew I was hooked.

Since then I've eaten at dozens of Vietnamese restaurants, but I've never found one to beat Thy Thy 1 for taste and value. When I want a seriously good meal at an incredibly cheap price (without the need to impress anybody) I head back there.

I was going to add that nothing had changed in all the time I'd been going there but on my last visit, I noticed another fluro tube had blown.

• Visited December 2012

Rome, Italy
“You can't miss it. Must go for it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Australia is a land of mix cuisine, one is Vietnamese food especially the noodle. Even I am thai person who always eats thai noodles. But Vietnamese noodle is something so so nice.

The soup and the taste are unforgettable . It is not expensive, the dish size is big, so to be save order medium not large size. There are various beef and pork.

I must say I still miss it, it was long time ago that I ate it. You don't need to eat only this shop, you can try in any vietnamese shop even in footcray area where is biggest area for vietnamese.

Not only noodle which is nice, also other dish go and try it. But you need to go to restaurant.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Pre Game Nosh Up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Love this place for a quick easy and especially delicious meal before heading off to AAMI Park for the rugby.

Upstairs you go - now get me wrong - its not ultra modern or anything like that - really basic tables and chairs etc - but in my opinion that all adds to the ambience - you go there for the food. Very reasonable and super quick. Service is always great and the tastes are fantastic.

• Visited July 2012
melbourne
“Awesome vietnamese food and cheap”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Fantastic food great service,byo, food comes out quickly, prawn spring rolls are the best in melbourne

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne Australia
“decent, cheap and average Vietnamese food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Thy Thy is one of the pioneer Vietnamese retsuarnst in Vietnamese-dominated Victoria St and we must have eaten there nearly a hundred times over the past three decades. its still decent standby with good low prices, a generous BYO policy (like most Vietnamese places) and fast service. But it can't really compete any more with the better new places that have opened up in the Street over the last ten years. But still worth a visit.

Visited June 2012