“Great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Melbourne Australia
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I have been to Baby twice, mainly because I received a voucher from my family as a recent Birthday present. Even without a voucher I will continue to go back there - a great formula; smart, great easy to understand food to share or have on your own and staff that obviously like their work. I know you can't book but I'm getting used to that! As long as I can have a drink or two while I'm waiting. This is not a 5 star Italian restaurant and does not pretend to be - just go and soak up the great atmosphere. These places are noisy so I make a point of only going there with my wife or 1 other couple - probably an age thing! Good on you Chris Lucas, another great success

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Can't go wrong”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I love baby!
We mostly go for breakfast although we do like their pizza's for dinner too. Great place to take someone from out of town as it always has a great vibe and is always busy.

Great wine list too.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Bustling..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The renovation has created an expanse replete with the 'blonde hair and black dress' set~even at 30o...
Bustling kitchen and floor gives off an enjoyable vibe...an extensive menu to satiate most palates~ orecchette could have done with a little more flavour.

An easy establishment to go back to..

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Mi dispiace, baby...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Much is to be expected for this newish dig that replaced the long-standing Pearl, more so after it got the nickname of "Italian Chin2". When we came here for dinner on Thursday night, the place was packed and we only got seats at the bar (unless we wanted to wait for 1.5 hours). So far, so Chin2.

Unfortunately, the food turned out to be far less exciting than Chin2. We shared the dishes (1 entree, 1 pizza, 1 pasta), and the best thing was the entree of a cheese trio (burrata, mozzarella, and scamorza) - each one was distinctive and flavorsome. The Funghi pizza had a good base and taste, but toppings were sparse. I think D.O.C and Ladro have better pizzas. The pasta (orecchiette con fava e piselli = ear-shaped pasta with fava beans and peas) was bland.

At this point, I would've given an Average score. But then we ordered three desserts - tiramisu, a selection of gelati, and a panna cotta - and none of them hit the mark. As a dessert person, I was disappointed. Especially the tiramisu which almost didn't have any coffee flavor in it. Where's the Italy in that? Please, Baby, improve this department.

Service was OK, with mostly Italian (or Italian-speaking) floor and kitchen staff. Even at that level of busy, we didn't have to wait long for the food, or had trouble calling the waiter (but we were sitting near the kitchen).

Baby has that "cool factor" and I think it will continue to be frequented by fashionable South Yarrans. But for me, the (potential) stress of getting a table and standing in long queues has to be balanced by highly satisfying food. I'm happy to do this for Chin2, but not here (yet).

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Love This Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Been here a few times now. I have had lunch, morning tea and breakfast at different times. Always had a great meal, I have sent a number of people here and they have always had good feedback. The coffee is brillant and have tried a few of the pizzas and always been impressed.

The service is also very good. I would highly recommend.

• Visited January 2013