“Nice area away from the city centre” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne to your Saves list
Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   649 Bridge Road, Richmond, Yarra, Victoria 3121, Australia (Formerly Rydges Riverwalk)   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Richmond
Kerang, Australia
“Nice area away from the city centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Booked this accommodation as it was a late decision and there wasnt anything reasonable closer to the city for a flight the next day. The taxi fare was a bit steep but if you like to get up and go for a jog or a nice long walk it is a great place along the river. Didnt have time to look at the shopping in Bridge Rd but will do that another time. Accommodation very neat and compact with a balcony that we did not use, but at least nice and quiet without a function on below. Shower screen a bit on the short side with water going all over the place and once again the toilet roll holder in a very tight spot, not planned very well for use. The buffet breakfast was nice and easy and we also dined on the night we arrived. Not a fan at all for the steep surcharge for using a credit card, this is a rort with many Hotels and should not be allowed. They do tell you that you will be charged the 3.5% I think it was and if you dont have cash handy then you dont have a choice. Staff were pleasant, although we did not require any assistance as it ws only one night. Would I stay again???? It is probably just that bit far from Southern Cross and Skybus for the usual travel requirements and the taxi fare a bit expensive.

Room Tip: Maybe check and see if there is a function on so you can request a quiter option but we did not have...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
tim_bilston, General Manager at Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Jenny,

Thank you for your review of our hotel Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne. We are pleased that you had a good experience. We take your feedback on board & we will attempt to improve based on your comments.

The 75 & 48 trams both go direct to Southern Cross Station, where the Sky Bus can be caught. This may assist in future.

Again thankyou for your valuable feedback.

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here fot a night on a Sunday its the second time ive stayed here, its a nice place the rooms are clean, beds are comfy had a great sleep. Staff just need to be a bit more happier, maybe welcome guests a bit more.
There was a function on the night but wasnt to loud didnt hear much, just make sure you get a quiet room if there is a function.Other than that a great stay. Will stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne. These reviews mean a great deal to our team here.

We will certainly take your comments on board & we were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you again soon & look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at the Amora Riverwalk for 3 nights on business. The room was generously sized, with a balcony & big bathroom. It was definitely value for money & I'd recommend it for those who need to stay out of the CBD on the east side of the city. I did feel it lacked ambience & as with many hotels in Australia they seriously need to reconsider the prices of extras like Internet, breakfast etc. Overall a comfortable stay & would come again for business.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Emzie,

Thank you for taking the time to Review the Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We will certainly take your comments on board also.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Very tidy and clean hotel. Check in was pleasant and the young men on the desk were friendly and helpful. Rooms were a good size, comfortable beds, selection of pillows, good toiletries available.
Close to a very busy road, but rooms were quiet. This hotel also has conference facilities but you are almost unaware of them. Very close to the city and excellent tram service, easy to use for those that may not have used them previously. A walk along the river is a lovely way to start the day. Failing that cabs are very reasonably priced. Bridge Street shops down the road which were also a treat.
Breakfast was expensive and just average - that would be the only negative; but good range of cafes very close to hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony if possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lily,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We will certainly look at breakfast as per your comments.

We do hope to see you again soon.

general Manager
Rozelle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Hotel is about 10 minutes out of city, direct tram up Bridge Road and tram stop out the front. Checkin was really smooth, I found that the room was what expected for the price, good bathroom, standard size room. Very comfortable bed, dark black out curtains. I did not use any other facilities. The bar and desk staff were friendly and happy to suggest local restaurants. Would stay again for right price.

Room Tip: Higher the better from street noise
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for reviewing the Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We were expecting a real retreat by the river but the ridiculous design of the building means you wouldn't even know the river was there. Room was dark and dingey. Location is good but no better than anywhere else in the Melbourne inner suburbs. As a tourist I asked for some sightseeing information at reception and the staff had no ideai

• Stayed June 2013
tim_bilston, General Manager at Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne.

I am sorry that our property did not meet with your expectations.

I will certanly follow up on your comments regarding our staff not being helpfull with regard to site seeing information.

We would like you to stay with us again. We could allocate you a room closer to the River & O'connell reserve, or a Riverview Suite.

Kind Regards

NT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed at the Amora Riverwalk during June 2013 for a friend’s wedding. Several of us were here and I have to say I was, not, in the least amount impressed with this hotel.

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 9am after flying through the night from Darwin. The reception staff didn’t seem to notice us for a moment but we were finally called over by a young lady. We gave our name to check-in and she seemed to have some trouble finding us. We, in the end, produced our confirmation in which she said “oh! You were meant to check in last night”. I calmly explained that, no, we had an early check-in booked, and I had already mentioned this. She carried on about her business and gave us the room key to a room on level 2.

As we rode the elevator, I said to my partner that I thought this was strange since we had a deluxe courtyard king room booked and it was a nicer room; not usually on the lower floors. We walked into our room, had a look around and I sat down on the small couch. Looking at the bed, there was NO WAY that was a king size bed, let alone a queen – it was actually a double. I rung down to reception and mentioned this. After a moment, she said “oh yes, that’s correct, can you
please come down to reception and we will give you the correct room”.

So we packed up, and headed back downstairs. We then received a room key for a room on level 4. Walking in, we could see it was a king bed and happily put our things down. We headed to the window to have a look at the view and were shocked! Our balcony was not even a balcony! From what we can tell, every fourth room had a “balcony” which was perhaps a metre by a metre in a triangle shape – one person could barely fit out there, let alone two!

Having travelled all night, my partner had to go to a suit fitting but he said he would mention it to downstairs while I went to nap. My partner then spoke to somebody downstairs. When he went downstairs to query the balcony they tried saying that some rooms have the smaller balcony, and some of them don’t, and stating that the room we were given was the correct one booked. After a few minutes of standing around, my partner used his mobile and went to their direct website and looked up the room type. The internet page clearly showed a balcony with a minimum square meters (we can’t recall what that size was and it has now disappeared off the website), but he showed that to them and they say “Oh, ok then, we'll move you into another room with a balcony.” In the end, we went down after midday and asked them not to bother and calmly explained that we didn’t want to wait for another room to be cleaned – the man we spoke to was then affronted by the fact we weren’t accepting their kind (forced) gesture.

Essentially, for having the rating of a 4.5 star, I would have expected a lot better service from all the staff, not as many mistakes as there was with our room (friends of ours also had problems), and the rooms to be a lot nicer. Our tv was old, and the one time I did turn it on, it had a large red streak down the middle of it. The bathroom was spacious and lovely but not very practical; the shower wall wasn't long enough so water went all over the floor, the toilet roll holder was too low, and too far back on the wall to be comfortable, and all the rooms were terribly dark. We could also hear people out in the hallway; every. single. word.

The reason we stayed at this hotel was since we were part of the wedding party and our friends were staying there. Considering the business we provided for the weekend and the service we received, there is no way I will return and there is no way I will be recommending this hotel to clients of mine since I work as a travel agent.

However, the food was great (we had dinner there after the wedding rehearsal and the service staff were quite good) and the breakfast at $15 per person was well worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I sincerely apologise that we did not meet your expectations on your recent stay.

I genuinely believe that we are a quality 4.5 star hotel & that we get it right 99% of the time. However it appears that we clearly did not deliver a good quality experience.

Your room allocation was messed up & clearly we "dropped the ball". I take full responsibility for this and again I apologise.

We would love to get you back into the hotel and I am confident that we can meet & exceed your expectations. Please contact me directly & I will be happy to offer you a significantly discounted rate for your next stay. If we do not meet your expectations on your next stay, no doubt your will not stay again. However I am confident that we can give a you a great stay.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Tim Bilston

Been to Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne? Share your experiences!