“Fabulous food, great wine list and lovely ambience.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous food, great wine list and lovely ambience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I met a friend there for lunch, and was most impressed. The wine list was interesting and the waiter most helpful.The duck salad we both had was absolutely delicious and I need to go back and have it again!!!

• Visited March 2012

melbourne
“A long wait for a less than special experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

The food when it came was OK but nothing was really special. My crab risotto was a good flavour, but poor value ($30). Meat mains likewise ($39). I don't like to hark on the price, but when you are paying nearly $ 40 for a main I would like t think you get something more than so-so and you do not have to wait for over an hour for it to arrive. Hard to assess drinks, we all drank wine by the glass. The Pinot Noir was inferior ($14.50), The Shiraz was good (12.50) and the White was OK ($ 10). The ambiance was nice, I liked sitting there. It has simple bentwood chairs and tables without cloth. The glass ware was very nice—I like a good glasses, they make the wine taste better. However as the restaurant filled the noise level rose making conversations difficult. The waiter was good enough, he was attentive to taking he order, but when it became apparent that we were unhappy with the delay he was a little hard to locate. I score restaurants on a 25 point scale. Union Dining gets 16.5, Food 7.5/10, Drinks 2/3 , Value for money 2/5, Ambience 2/3, service 2/4.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“One restaurant's loss was another's gain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

After being told by a notable city restaurant @ 6pm that our wait would be 2-2.5 hours, we decided to venture into Richmond & discovered Union Dining - what an incredible experience. To be greeted, in a Melbourne downpour, at the door by one of the owners, our night was just a superb experience & one that I would highly recommend. Exceptional service & gorgeous food, my only very tiny criticism was what appeared to be an inconsistent pouring level of our delightful Mornington Peninsula sparkling - confirmed by the table next door who received what I would consider to be the norm when their sparkling was poured. Nice touch to pour straight from the bottle at the table when ordering by the glass & fantastic wine list. Overal, an experience I can't wait to repeat! PS no chance of loosing your coat or umbrella, they allocate your table number - nice touch

• Visited November 2011
Melbourne
“A must try”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I had Sunday lunch at Union Dining with 9 friends. It was $55 a head, a set menu which meant rather than bill splitting and thinking about ordering we could just catch up. The food was AMAZING - and the portions were very generous. The owner advised us on wines and the service was seamless. I can't wait to go back in the week. You should book or call before you go - this place is very popular. A real winner for locals and visitors. Yum!

• Visited July 2011
Melbourne
“Great way to have a meal before or after a concert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We live in the country and when we go to Melbourne like to dine before or after concerts. Union dining has quick access to the Monash freeway and is less than 10 minutes away to the CBD. But what about the experience? Great food and an excellent wine list including some half bottles. We didn't have time to try a dessert but the entrees and mains we had were excellent with attentive but not obtrusive service. We find many trendy restaurants that have the "buzz" literally are very noisy and as such avoid them but at Union Dining the noise level was excellent. Overall, the food and value were as described in the other reviews and we will be back.

• Visited July 2011