“Delicious and traditional” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Central American
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Delicious and traditional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

The location is now near the Bomberos, just around the corner from General Cordova I believe. We had dinner one evening which was excellent, two friends had pescado encocao (coconut fish) and camaron encocao (coconut prawns), another the fish ceviche (cold fish soup with sliced up green pepper, onions, tomatoes) which is a typical coastal dish, breaded fried fish with beans and I had rice with prawns. All of them were full of flavour and very reasonably priced compared to other options. It was the best meal we had in Puerto Lopez by far and we had the set lunch the next day for 3USD. Choices were fish or cheese soup as a starter and the main was either the coconut fish or fried fish. Big jar of juice was served with a free refill. Bargain. If you are ordering dinner, make sure you bring a bit of patience as it can take a while, but it's well worth it as everything is made to order and fresh. Lunch was served very quickly. The owners are friendly too. Best food option in Puerto Lopez in my opinion.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Delicious!!! Deffinitely Recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

After some confusing instructions from Trip Advisor we found it! It is now in front of Los Bomberos behind the Malecon as of 18 days ago!!! The food is typical from Esmeraldas and is fantastic!! My husband and Mother had encocado which is a coconut sauce and they had it with shrimp and I had guatita with calamari which was so amazingly delicious!! It was a generous portion of food and will deffinitely go back!!! Maybe tomorrow........

Visited February 2014
Puerto Lopez, Ecuador
“Mmmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I ordered the fried chicken thigh and it was so tasty. It comes with rices and beans a small salad ( like a cucumber salad) and 2 pieces of fried plantains. The beans were so good I could just get that next time and be happy. The server/ owner was so very kind and efficient. The prices are the most affordable I have seen in Puerto Lopez yet. My dinnet was $5. I will have to go back before I leave town to get somehing else.

Visited February 2014
Michigan
“Terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Apparently they have now moved because we found Dona Elsie's just off the plaza and around the corner from Patacon Pisa'o. I am so glad we did.

Absolutely fantastic. Great, friendly service and the best food so far in Puerto Lopez. I could have made a meal of just the beans, they were so tasty and so filling. I am not a fish eater and trying to find decent carne is Puerto Lopez has been a futile mission....until I tried the carne apanado at Dona Elsie's. Highly recommend this place.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hoi An, Vietnam
“Delicious! You won't be disappointed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

One of the best dinners we've had on the coast. The food was fantastic & worth the journey (it's now located a bit out of Puerto López - see directions bellow). We had Encocado de Camarón & another house speciality (a kind of fish soup) both were very tasty! The waiter, Humberto, was very friendly and his wife Elsie is the chef. The restaurant is hard to find (head to the northern end of Puerto López on Av. Machalilla and turn right on Via El Patal (at the Centro de Salud), follow the road for a kilometre or two and it's in the left hand side. The barrio is called Los dos Rios. Phone numbers are 0995619656 & 0989048559. You won't be disappointed!