“Not as tranquil as expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maremonti

Save Saved
You added Maremonti to your Saves list
Maremonti
Calle San Francisco s/n | Colina central, junto a la Terraza, Puerto Lopez 00, Ecuador   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Puerto Lopez B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Not as tranquil as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had been looking forward to this place that looked amazing and tranquil in the pictures. Unfortunately, I didn´t get into a relaxed kind of mood. During daytime you can hear the noise of various vehicles (especially motorbikes) rushing along the road downhill. Sounded like motorboats cruising the ocean but right next to you - not relaxing at all. Late in the evening, other guests may be talking on the verandah without lowering their voices - not relaxing either.

The room rates are reasonable though the magnificent breakfast turned out to be very very basic as well as my room for single use. The sliding doors don´t close properly. Since there is a huge gap between them I got numerous mosquito bites.

Marianella and Mauro are very friendly, offer good advice and even give you a lift whenever possible. Since many tuktuk drivers refuse to go uphill to La Terraza (close to the Maremonti) especially at night (frightening the first time I had to do the hiking part at night), I would stay at the Malecón next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
maremontiBandB, Propietario at Maremonti, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Whatever opinion we can receive of course will be welcomed and taken into consideration, but obviously if it is well foundamented, in a serious way. 2 months before your arrival you sent me maybe 10 emails regarding our place and I was absolutely clear regarding that we are in a hill, not near to the sea and that going to the beach takes near to 20 or 25 minutes if you walk. IF you take the motos only 3-4 minutes, just for USD 1,oo. I have many taxis that work/cooperate with us, so transportation is never a problem. Maybe the problem is people like you, that try to find a "BUT" to whatever, everything you see is negative. With your attitute here with us also with the other guests, WE DID NOT feel good because when you arrived to breakfast never say GOOD MORNING and never SAY GOOD BYE, NO COMMUNICATION AT ALL, so try to reflect first of selecting a place and remember that you travel alone, but will be always sorrounded by people! even if you do not like it.

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
St. Gallen, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

A bit out of town (maybe 25 minutes walk to the beachfront with all the shops, restaurants, etc.), this B&B is a good place to stay. The owners picked us up and brought us to the city whenever we needed. Marianella and Mauro are great hosts with great italian cooking skills. Try the bruschette or the spaghetti, you will love it! Our room was small and basic but with a great seaview and a nice small terrace. For the 42USD we paid maybe a bit overpriced for such a small room but the atmosphere is very good. Unfortunately our room had a moskito net instead of a glass window so we could hear the noisy main road nearby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Puerto Lopez, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I'm heading back again for the unique experience offered by Marianella and Mauro. This time my wife will be with us and I am anxious for her to meet this wonderful family who are raising elementary school age boys while at the same time they have opened three rooms in their huge house for guests for guests to enjoy their bed and breakfast. What a wonderful experience for my brother and I who were traveling the coast of Ecuador in November/December 2011 and needed a place to stay in Puerto Lopez. There is no doubt that we chose the best accomodations. Being located up the hill, the views of the coast line were spetacular. And at night the lights of the city shined so brightly it was amazing! Each of the private rooms has a deck to enjoy the views and privacy. Our wonderful hosts arranged for our trip to Isla de la Plata and provided other information for tourist activities as well. Yes, this family home is highly recommended! And this time of year we are planning to go whale watching. Can hardly wait!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
, Co-Propietaria at Maremonti, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thanks Mr Doug!!!.... We also enjoyed your company and hope to see you soon and meet your Wife!!! Best wishes!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

On walking into our room we were shocked to be given a two bedroom apartment with a great view of the beach. We soon realised how accommodating Marianella was and anything requested was quickly and pleasantly done.

I was two weeks into my trip and was craving home-cooked food, someone up there heard me as then we met Mauro, Marianella's husband. Wow what a chef, we ate there every night that we stayed and I have requested a recipe..!

I would definitely recommend this place as the only place to stay in Purto Lopez, for the whole experience, they're a lovely family and you get value for money..!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Marianella and Mauro were excellent hosts. They were both very warm, friendly, helpful at the same time being discrete. They made us feel at home and any requests were met immediately, always with an honest smile. Marianella is a natural hostess talent and she does it so effortlessly. Mauro was also great and i strongly recommend you try his dishes. There is no way you can taste better food in Puerto Lopez (or in the Ecuadorian coast..). The rooms/appartments are very spacious, with big terraces and fantastic views.

Room Tip: the appartments have big terraces and great views
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Marianella went out of her way to help with our stay! I met my family in Ecuador to celebrate Christmas/my brother's birthday. Marianella was very quick to answer e-mails full of questions before our stay. She went above and beyond call to help with flight arrangements, taxis, tour guides, and even e-mailed a menu ahead of time. Our apt. was very spacious, beautifully decorated, and had an amazing view of Puerto Lopez (beach and boats). I would recommend this place to everyone- you can not go wrong. Very affordable~ This little B&B also serves dinner- we had fresh fish and awsome music we all sang along to! :) My only regret is that we did not have more time to stay. Puerto Lopez is a cool little fishing town with a slower more relaxing pace of life. We will go back one day! Also- take advantage of some of the day excursions like Isla de La Plata, and go to Aguas Blancas, and Los Frailes beach. Be careful at the beach- don't swim out too far. I did and I think I got stung by jellyfish. The taxis driver said it was aguas malas- felt like a jellyfish to me. Price check as well. We found it cheaper to rent a taxis for the day to go places instead of using a tour guide- we paid U.S. $70 for the day- for 4 people. Our taxis driver took us to Aguas Blancas, Los Frailes, and to the airport for that amount.

Room Tip: The apt. we stayed in had a sitting area, bathroom, 2 bedrooms, and a deck. The deck had a rocking c...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Maremonti? Share your experiences!