“Fantastic stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Antonio, TX
“Fantastic stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I spent 3 nights at Zuleta with my 17 yr. old niece and had an incredible visit. The horses are superb, the food delicious with generous portions, and our room was extremely comfortable. The house is full of history, and it is a privilege to experience it. The scenery is absolutely beautiful; a photographer's paradise. There are several activities including visiting the cheese factory (very interesting), but just wandering the grounds is fun. We enjoyed meeting some locals in the village and also visiting with the other travelers. We didn't leave the property except to walk to "town" or go horseback riding, but never wanted to. The riding can add quite a bit to your tab, so if you are a rider, be sure to budget for that. All in all, I felt it was worth the money (especially since our room was upgraded at no additional cost!) and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We love when guest enjoy their stay with us, I personally love it when guest take the time to try our horses , one of the key features of our Hacienda. Our horse tradition goes back centuries ! we love horses and we take good care of them, we don't hesitate to provide them with all they need and more.
We will be waiting for you and your niece and all your family and friends !!!

Please recommend us !

Thank you from all the staff and myself. Come back!!

Fernando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at Zuleta. The only sad part was that we were only there two days. I would most definitely recommend staying a minimum of three nights. Two nights just were not enough.

For us the trip to Zuleta was something we had wanted to do for years. My husband's grandmother worked at the Hacienda in the 30s/40s and his mother was born there in the village nearby. My husband really wanted to see it and we really wanted to take our son. We had extremely high expectations.

I can say without any hesitation that Zuleta did not disappoint. Everything was fantastic. The hacienda is beautiful. The people...all of them...are amazingly warm and welcoming. The food was outstanding and the scenery of course is spectacular.

Perhaps our favorite part was our host, Vinicio. He was super fantastic attending to our every need. With any luck we will be back next year and we will be asking for Vinicio!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Gracias por escribir TAN lindo review!! It was an honor receiving you and your family at our home, we feel honored that you wanted to stay here and I hope you liked the book about my grandfather, I hope it did not add to much weight to your bag!

Please come back and send us your friends and family. Please feel free to write to me directly so I can help you in any way possible in your next visit to Ecuador and hopefully to Zuleta.

Gracias nuevamente de parte mia y de toda nuestra familia y colaboradores.

Gillette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Hacienda Zuleta was a wonderful experience. The grounds and surrounding Hacienda properties were extremely well cared for-----you can see the pride they have in the care of all things. Rodrigo took me on an all day ride that was magnificent. We were there after some rain, so some of the roads were a bit slippery, but he took great care of me and our two horses. As for the food, all the meals were well prepared and absolutely delicious. We did appreciate hearing from Fernando who told us about his family and the projects on going at the Hacienda. The Condor facility is wonderful too. Thank you Fernando.

Room Tip: I had no 6 and it was a wonderful quiet room with a nice view....loved the fireplace
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you JD , you are more than welcome !! And YES were are all extremely proud for what we have achieved , Zuleta has been in the making for decades , it is all a question of excellent team work and lots and lots of love!!
I hope you will return someday , thank you for your review!!

Fernando and all the Staff
Kent, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed the tranquil countryside, but did not experience any "hosting" by the family. A young Ecuadorian, Sebastian, ran the hacienda while we were there and seemed very busy, constantly rushing about. We saw Fernando for a couple of minutes when a group of us returned from a tour of the cheese factory, but that was it as far as contact with the family went. The walks and horseriding were great and it was a nice relaxed way to end our 4-week trip, but the service was more impersonal than we had anticipated, which was rather disappointing given how the hacidenda is marketed on its website.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Guest ,

I am VERY sorry that I or any of my family members where not able to spend sometime with you, and specially that you felt the service was impersonal. Please accept my excuses , this last 3 weeks I have been attending to my parents that where visiting and had been away traveling with them , In top of all that my kids had theyre final exams ! I love to be with my guests and we pride ourselves in spending quality time with them! One of aunts , who has at last move to live to the hacienda has agreed to come aboard and help us in this key element of the Zuleta experience. There is no excuse for the impersonal service that you felt and we deserve the very low marks you have given us.

All the staff and my self thank you for spending the last days of your holiday at Hacienda Zuleta and please accept OUR excuses again and again.

The best to you and your family.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed here in June of 2013, and thought it was fantastic. We were made to feel very welcome right from the greeting at the airport. The bumpy end to the drive was well worth it as the Hacienda was gorgeous. We loved the hacienda and had a good wander around it. We checked out a lot of the rooms as we knew we would want to return. Each room we saw was great -- they were all slightly different. We had a great time hiking, riding, wandering in the village, and taking a few trip farther afield. Every staff member was great, and incredibly helpful. The food was very hearty and the meals, eaten at a communal table, were great fun as we met some great people. My only regret is that I didn't write this review sooner to let other people know about this gem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Paul,

As they say: better late than never!

We all thank you so much for your review, we are very happy that you still remember us and the want to encourage other to come visit us. We are here always ready to welcome you back to Hacienda Zuleta. Sadly the bumpy roads are know being paved , we think that by December all the roads will be paved. The community road will not be paved ,so you will always feel you have arrived to a very special place, where going slow is better than flying by! where we choose to stop and feel our surroundings rather than reading about it in the Internet! We love slow and we love to feel.

Thank you again for remembering us!

Fernando and all the Staff.
Silverthorne, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is a very special experience. You feel like you are private guest in this lovely hacienda that was owned by a former President of Peru. It is still owned by the family and I felt like a guest of the family.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Milton,

All our team at Hacienda Zuleta thank you for such a perfect review, you understood what we like our guest to feel when visiting us! we love when guest get it! This feeling is the same I felt when I was a kid and arrived to the farm to visit my Grandparents, warmth, home and excellent food!

From all of us , THANK YOU!

Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is one lovely hacienda. The food is excellent...we ate so much excellent cheese! The rooms are cozy. We had a standard room which was heated by a fireplace only but it retained heat well and we were never cold. The farm setting is perfect. There are well marked hiking trails to explore.The condor rescue center is a must-do. We spent so much time hiking that we never got to walk through the village. We stayed 2 nights but decided we should have stayed at least one more!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you from all us for your review , we loved that you enjoyed your stay , our cheese and the warmth of your room. Indeed I think Zuleta is a three night stay, that the ideal , but sadly sometimes the ideal is not possible for some. I hope you can come back someday! We will give you a special rate !!

Thank you again and take good care.

Fernando and all the Staff

Been to Hacienda Zuleta? Share your experiences!