“An amazing place” 5 of 5 stars

Angochagua, Ecuador   |
Stockholm, Sweden
“An amazing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hacienda Zuleta is a magical retreat. You can really feel the Century old history of the really vast hacienda and the old carefully renovated Buildings.
It is pretty expensive but well Worth it. Excellent facilities. Really nice bedrooms with an open fire welcoming you every evening after dinner. Really nice breakfast and good dinners. The dinners are not excellent but really good.
There are plenty of activities for you take part in. However, please be aware of that most of them cost extra. The horses and the trails are absolutely Amazing.
Our Group of 14 family members and friends stayed here for only two nights. We would really like to come back for a whole week and simply enjoy this relaxing Place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your review, I love to see families at our home, this is a family home per excellence, but also an ideal place for tranquility, peace and just enjoy nature. Perfect after or before Galapagos. We will LOVE to receive you entire family again for a week, we will give you a very special treatment! both in attention and cost!

Come back!!

Fernando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were staying in Quito for 4 days and wanted to take a day trip from there to see more of the country. We found Hacienda Zuleta online and it looked like a very special experience. I was somewhat taken aback at the price of $305 per person - $610 - a night, but thought it would be worth the splurge for a special experience. Let me say first that Hacienda Zuleta is well maintained and beautiful and the staff were so kind and helpful. Our room was nice but nothing special. Where I was disappointed is that at the price of staying, I had an expectation the quality of the food and services would be above average. The meals were plain, bland and boring. I had chicken that was fried and so dry I had to wash down each bite with water. And then on top of paying a high end price tag for staying, no other services were included. While I can understand the extra charge for horseback rides and tour guides, I was surprised to see they charge $26 to use a bike and $34 for an embroidery class. I am in the hospitality business, and know these types of services could and should be included within the price point they charge as a value to their guests. It is a beautiful location filled with history but in my opinion does not meet the quality of experience in relation to the cost.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry your stay with us was not worth the price you payed, you felt cheated and I can understand your feeling. I am very sad that this happen to you at Hacienda Zuleta, we take a lot of pride for outstanding service, and food is one of the main reasons our guests complement us! SO this review has hit me in the heart, I will check every complaint you have in your review, I will try to find your reservation, will check the room you had, and will talk to the host that was attending you, to see the food you and your party ordered. I have always wanted to eliminate chicken breast from our menu!! I will re check how they are doing it so this will never happen again, unless the guest wants a very fry and dry chicken breast!!

Sorry again, and if you ever plan a visit to Ecuador again please let me invite you again for one night and prove to you we can exceed your expectations.

Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I felt like a guest in a wonderful home, full of history with gracious people all around. I especially remember the kindness of the women in the kitchen who fixed me a special meal because of an allergy. I also remember two fantastic excursions, one around the ranch itself (for horse lovers this would be very special) and one to visit a condor rehabilitation center in the middle of nowhere, where llamas were grazing by the path and where the condors, majestic and intelligent birds, preened for our photos. I think the experience would have been even better had we not been there during a three-day rain which erased the surrounding scenery. I recommend the Hacienda highly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you for you generous review. I read your review in Sept. I was sure I had written a thank you note to you, but who noes what happened to it. Just wanted to say thank you from all of us, I hope you can come back some day and that you will recommend us to friends and family, we will be honored to attend to them with the dedication we attended you!

Take good care we send you ONLY good energy from our little piece of Ecuadorean Paradise!

Fernando and all the staff.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hello Everyone!
I wanted to express my thoughts on Hacienda Zuleta. My sister and I stayed here for 4 days at the beginning of July 2013. We took a 2 hour car ride from Quito and let me tell you was it worth every mile. Driving and coming upon Hacienda Zuelta was something that you dream of or see in the movies. The Gorgeous Majestic landscape accompanied by this old Hacienda and the surrounding town in which it resides. From the moment that we arrived the the moment that we left the service was exceptional. Now as you are reading it must have been amazing given that I am writing this all from memory and it has been over a month now. They offer delicious food, family style gatherings at meals, fantastic service and plenty of activities ( my favorite being the horseback riding some of the best trail riding I have done) All in all if you want to experience something Majestic with OUTSTANDING customer service this is your place. Thank you Zuleta for everlasting memories!! :) :) :) Till the next time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your review!! Thank you for up loding your pictures, I loved the one with Fito (my dog) !! I do this very often with him, we just sit at Condor View and just feel the energy of the valley and the views! I love that you loved Zuleta!

Thank you again, please send us all your nice friends and family!!

The best for you and your family in this new year!!

Fernando and all the Staff
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hacienda Zuleta is one of those places you go and the memories linger long after the journey home. The staff is so helpful, accommodations are so exquisite and the meals so outstanding it is hard to identify what part of Zuleta I liked best. We hiked, rode horses, toured the trout farm and cheese factory, all of which are on the property . Fernando, the CEO, personally greeted us and his gracious style permeated his entire staff. Plan on spending at least two or three days there for maximum enjoyment...you will be glad you did

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely..we stayed in a standard room which was perfect
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Hola from Zuleta!!

I thank you so much for your review, I love the title!! Zuleta is indeed a SPECIAL place! I am so happy you felt the energy of this place! And your pictures are great, the one I loved the most is the romantic scene at Condor View!! now we will call it the Lovers view point!! :) Sebastian picture in the Cheese factory is to laugh for hours! I will send the link to him!

Take good care and thank you again from all of us at Hacienda Zuleta.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. It takes time to get here but is well worth the effort because you are so well looked after, the landscape is highly photogenic and you can do as much, or as little, as you want to from the huge range of options - the condor rescue project, spectacled-bear spotting, a visit to the cheese factory, horse-riding, exploring the extensive grounds, walking the marked trails, enjoying the local embroidery, going further afield to markets and the edge of volcanoes, or just relaxing. The sense of peace and of history here is almost tangible. It fosters a great sense of well-being. The family and staff are all very friendly, helpful and very good at chatting both formally and informally about the history and work of the hacienda. Our room was not the largest but the bed was very comfortable and the view of surrounding verdant mountains and pastures through the window was wonderful. We are used to altitude and cooler temperatures so were happy to forego the fire and hot water bottles after our first night! The cheery staff were a bit bemused when we turned down their kind offer of extra heating!! Food was plentiful and home-cooked, with tasty fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden. [It was a lot better than much we ate in other haciendas.] Hacienda Zuleta is an ideal place to enjoy Ecuador's countryside at your own pace.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Propietario at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for a beautiful review, I am very happy you had a great time, that you were able to control the heating system in your room!! :) .... we like everybody to be happy, well fed and warm!
You can always come back to do the other great activities we have and will have.

Please recommend us with your friends.

Johns Creek, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights and two full days at this wonderful property and feel that was just the right amount of time. I don't have a lot to add to prior reviews.
Extensive grounds with a lot to see and do. We tried to do some of each-hiking, biking and horseback riding.
The food, mostly harvested from their organic garden, was quite good and we enjoyed that they were local recipes.
Amazing hospitality. All the staff is very helpful and cordial. Fernando, the CEO, was very giving of his time, speaking to us on several occassions despite having a large group of family members visiting.
If I may give one word of warning, however, is that no activities are included in the price of accomodation. I was surprised as this is not an inexpensive place, esp in Ecuador. The rate covers room and meals only. All other activties cost extra. I had not seen this mentioned in other reviews nor could I find this on their website. In fact, even my travel agent told me all was included when I had asked. My agent made good on their commitment but it would have been good to know in advance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Doug,

I, and all the staff at Hacienda Zuleta ,thank you for taking the time to write a review about us, and specially for a very generous one! I am very worried and sad that you had the impression that everything was included in our per person rate. I have re checked the info , both in our web and the one we send to all our travel agents, and it states very clearly what we include. I have asked our reservation and in house hosts to re read all the info to see if we can be more specific, specially on what is NOT included and has additional costs for our guests. We are launching our new web and we will make sure that this is VERY clear for you , our guests, the prime reason we are in this fantastic business of making people HAPPY!

Thank Doug for this comment, it is this comments that help us be better, and always strive to be the best that we can be. But always with our guests and family in our minds.

Take good care and hoping you and your wife are well, and that you took beautiful memories about our little paradise in the Ecuadorean Andes!!!

Fernando

Been to Hacienda Zuleta? Share your experiences!