“THE best winery in Oliver!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 32 Activities in Oliver
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
Vancouver, Canada
“THE best winery in Oliver!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

...but I hesitate to tell everyone because they make such a small amount of wine, it may all be gone!

But seriously, the wine made here is unlike anything else in the area; fruity, fresh and original. This is our second year to Oliver and our trip would not be complete without a stop here.

They have beautiful grounds and allowed us to tie up our dogs in the shady area by the roses. So pretty:)

Visited July 2011

Vancouver
“Great wines with a very rude sommelier”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I had a very good friend visiting from Israel and decided to show her what BC was all about. Having worked in the wine industry, both in wine shops and in cellars in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, we passed by Silver Sage to try a little something different. As usual, the wines astounded with their uniqueness and volatility. The server was an older man with a very dry sense of humour, which was charming at the beginning, until things took a sour turn. Mumbling, he notified all the tasters at the bar to drink "The Flame" in three sips. My Israeli friend, whose English comprehension is a little rusty when someone mumbles, took the small portion in one swallow. She was brought back by the spiciness of the wine, and the server decided to get angry at me for it, calling me "ignorant" and telling me that if she ever did that again then we would never be allowed back into the winery. After repeatedly assuring him to calm down, he did not, but instead proceeded to insult me and my friend. When I couldn't take it anymore, we pushed our glasses towards him, and told him not to worry about us ever coming back here. We left, and I'm certain the other groups at the tasting bar followed, because there were just as surprised and disgusted as we were.
Under further investigation with friends I have in the industry, this one staff member is notorious for his temper tantrums and his cynical views on life and his job. I really hope the ownership of Silver Sage takes a good look at who they are hiring and realize what one sour person can do to the value of their reputation and of their wines. I was so disgusted, I can't even drink any bottles of Silver Sage that I already had in my cellar.

Visited September 2010
5 attraction reviews
“Delicious, unique wines and fantastic staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We had a great time visiting Silver Sage winery. The staff were very entertaining and knowledgeable about their wines.
Definitely taste "The Sage", and if you're brave, "The Flame". The only spicy wine I've ever encountered.

Visited May 2011
Vancouver, Canada
15 attraction reviews
“YUMMY!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I heard about the unique wines from this winery so it was on our list to visit. I thought I might taste a few and buy one bottle, but I ended up buying SIX different wines from Silver Sage because they were all so tasty (here's the caveat: I like sweet and unique wines so these might not be for the true wine connoisseur!). The wines I bought: Gewurtzraminer, Pinot Blanc, Sage Grand Reserve (flavored with sage!), Sunset (flavored with cranberry and raspberry), Flame (flavored with chile pepper) and a Peach Desert Wine.

We were there in a quiet, off-season time so we didn't get to see the gardens in bloom but it looked nice anyway.

Visited April 2011
Sherwood Park, Alberta
“A Definite Keeper in our Wine Cellar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

We have thru good friends who are also family friends of the Sage Winery have been able to enjoy Silver Sage's Wines. Having been there the summer of 2008, we can only express what a pleasure it was to be there and sample their wines, and order many of them. It is a MUST on your wine tour in Oliver! We enjoyed the way the owner's introduced us to their wines and made it very casual and humourful!
Good Luck Silver Sage for 2009 and the years to come!