“Weird, yet wonderful.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Restaurants in Spean Bridge
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: You will also find The Eagle Barge Inn on http://www.fortaugustus.org/invergarry/foodanddrink.php
Staffordshire
“Weird, yet wonderful.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Totally unique experience.

Good selection of Scottish ales, did not eat but food looked nice.

Were treated to the whole ‘Basil and Sybil’ show, highly amusing!

We wish we had found it earlier in the week, as it is definitely worth a return visit.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cosy floating pub and restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Unusual pub. floating on the canal. Very small and cramped and they do not take cards. We ordered 4 basket meals which were very poor standard - right out of the freezer and costed about £7 each.
But the area is nice, and the barge is a bit of a novelty, but the owners are a bit "special".

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Zurich, Switzerland
“lovely atmosphere and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Also we didn't reserve a table (you should) we were welcome and could choose form different dishes. The couple running the place was very polite and lovely. I see foreward to visit it again....

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The Kazakhstan of restaurants”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

It all began well enough; a friendly welcome from the lady behind the bar, and we tasted one of the real ales, which was ok (Loch Leven Blonde) if a little warm and flat. We ordered three soups and some chips and sat down on deck to wait. And wait. And... about 15 minutes later I risked a query to one of the youngsters helping run the place what was the progress with our soup; numerous signage (always a bad sign - gedditt??) told us how all the food was freshly cooked and nothing was kept hot, but were they making the soup fresh? Ok..... 5 minutes later the owner? arrived with a plate of soup; I noticed the 'fresh bread' was actually a hamburger bap, and said 'oh, that's the bread...' whereupon the owner said mildly, "Is there a problem?".

Tiny alarm bells sounded in my inner ear and I smiled and said no, not that was fine. The chips looked absolutely normal, as if they were slightly embarassed about the state of the soup, which, readers, was dire.

To begin with the appearance: imagine Nitromors without the clarity; the glutinous ooze had a greenish tinge as though it had come from the probe in "The Andromeda Strain" or else footballer sputum. There were ghostly images of vegetate matter suspended in a gloopy syrup with powdery streaks in it. Despite this I was hungry and slurped some of the horrible liquid.

I gagged like Lady Gagger. My mouth revolted and cried out in fear, as my stomach tightened for an all-out strike, whatever the occasion. The taint was as if from a long-fetid desert well, bricked up by nomads, and left to fester with carcasses for decades. The aroma was sewer-like; dank, deathly, mordant. The texture was that of a sinewy limb torn from a rotted and filthy etc etc. - you get the picture.

One of us finished his. He is under 24-hour medical observation in an isolation unit in Dounreay. I hope the owner reads this and switches to the water treatment business, because his oeuvre is at the other end of the consumption process.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great location but that's about it really !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I visit the Eagle as I'm up the area quite a lot ! The other reviews about the owners are pretty accurate I'm afraid, if the Eagle had a couple who had a good customer service skills it would be a better place ! I use it as its the only place on the canal at Laggan unless you go to the Great Glen water park a mile or so up the canal east, the bar and restaurant have just been taken over and the lady I met seemed very welcoming ! So in all honesty the foods not too bad, good selection of real ales, location is beautiful but the owners spoil it ! Just pretty rude and unhelpful really ! But make your own mind up ! I think if they like you your ok ! If not its the cold shoulder.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere