“City flat...off the beaten track” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Stables

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Magheralin
The Stables
You added The Stables to your Saves list
70 Drumnabreeze Road, Magheralin, Northern Ireland   |
sussex
“City flat...off the beaten track”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Something quite extraordinary, this one. Imagine a luxury apartment – the kind you get in the posh suburbs or a nice city block – then transplant it into the middle of the Northern Ireland countryside. You've got 'The Stables'.

I stayed there for the best part of a week, to get some studying and writing done. Now my main problem was my brain – it just wasn't working. But there was no problem with the setting. I couldn't have asked for more peace and quiet!

The apartment came with all mod cons – fully fitted kitchen with washing machine and dryer, and a beautiful bathroom with a generously sized shower cubicle and heated towel rail. The one drawback was the telly – I could only get the main terrestrial channels. Maybe I just wasn't using the remote correctly, I don't know. I couldn't even get RTE.

Location, of course, is everything. 'The Stables' is actually part of a vast facility called Edenmore Country Club. This is a popular golf course with gym, spa and award-winning restaurant. The food mainly comprises traditional dishes – but done well.

You'll need to take your car, by the way. I was more or less stranded as I'd been travelling around using public transport. Going out for a walk is possible, but not always advisable. The country lanes aren't very lonely – tractors and trucks thunder past at an alarming rate. If you do go out for a trek, wear wellies because you'll often end up in the ditch to let vehicles by.

The surrounding area is beautiful. Moira is a pretty village with regular trains to Belfast. Magheralin itself is a tiny place with the pièce de résistance – the deeply atmospheric ruins of an epic medieval church.

Edenmore's managers Kenneth and Cherry Logan are extremely hospitable. Nothing is too much bother for them. I can only imagine this place will go from strength to strength. I even got all my washing done!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

1 review from our community

Been to The Stables? Share your experiences!