“Anniversary weekend away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Broadstairs
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Anniversary weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel as I have spent many a holiday in broadstairs as a child. We stayed in room 26 amazing seaviews very clean and a lovely size. Food was great service and staff were perfect and after 33 years of marriage we had a amazing weekend and have booked to go back next year, well done to all the staff and the manager what a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Room 26 has lovely seaviews and is a nice size
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed here while he was on business nearby. There really isn't much in the area so when we found this we were very thankful! However, on our first night we were in room 33, which is normally a family room. Although the decor is lovely the bed was terrible, and when you are paying for a 'bed' it really doesn't go down well. It was very soft and all the springs on one side had completely gone (I am guessing from children jumping on it) and were sticking into my husbands back all night. We didn't realise until we got into bed at 11pm and were both so very tired and knowing that the hotel was fully booked didn't see much point in telling reception. In the morning however I did tell reception who told they would tell housekeeping. In the end housekeeping just moved the mattress upside down!

We then moved to room 15 (as this was advertised as a king room - and apparently the best in the hotel!) It was a lovely room to look at and wonderful views across the sea, very romantic. However my problem with this room was that as a king room you are expecting a king bed, and not two single beds pushed together. Therefore when you are in bed and you have a cuddle you are falling between the two beds!!!! Another problem with the room was the very musty damp smell in the bathroom, it was quite awful and I even had the bathroom window open full for a few hours but to no avail. On a lighter note the breakfasts are lovely, and the staff lovely also.

When checking out I received the bill I was surprised to see a charge for our morning papers. When checking in we were asked what papers we would like each morning, with no mention on cost. As a seasoned traveller and when you are paying way above average for a room (200 pounds for room 15) you normally receive a paper included in your room charge. I raised this issue and the lady went to get the general manager for me. How do I put this nicely, he was a very rude young man who thought my complaints were not valid. As myself and my husband would be in the area every week for a few days for the next few months I thought he might want some repeat business, he obviously doesn't need it! Now what really made me laugh was that they wanted to charge me 1.10 for The Times which is only a pound to buy, apparently this is company policy! In the end he took the 2.20 off the bill reluctantly and shouted as I left the hotel "sorry you didn't like us"!

Either way, we will not be staying here again and would thoroughly recommend finding yourself a small B&B in the area who are personal and care about their customers.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dartford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

stayed in broadstairs a few times and always said it would be nice to treat ourselves one day and stay at the royal albion. lovely place to stay, prime location, good food and very clean.
.Great views over viking bay even though it was at the end of november, we pushed the boat out and opted for a superior room with a sea view (room 12) which also had doors opening on to a shared terrace with table and chairs.Very nice comfy bed in a very clean room with all the usual tea making facilities. breakfast is very good and plentiful

Room Tip: opt for a room with a sea view, worth the extra money
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I suprised my boyfriend and took him to broadstairs as this is where him and his family use to holiday . The hotel was amazing , very luxurious . Food was amazing . Room amenities where perfect.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Broome, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

My wife & I stayed here along with another couple in late August 2011. Initially we were surprised with the reception area just inside the front entrance. It was very small and seemed quite old but at the same time when you looked around the foyer area you were immediately struck by the fact that the hotel is historical. It dates way back to Charles Dicken times and even before that. He stayed here for some time prior to him purchasing Bleak House which is visible situated on the headland along to the left from the hotel.
We were taken up to our room on the 3rd floor. We had requested a sea facing room and were not dissapointed. You can view the whole promenade of Broadstairs from the window.
Upon entry the age of the hotel struck home. The floors are uneven and slope to different quarters of the room. The bed was queen size and very comfortable.The bathroom was more than adequate and the shower efficient. All of this added to the enjoyable historical flavour of the hotel.
There is also a terrace area at the front of the hotel facing the sea. This is frequented all day and provides meals.
We opted to include breakfast. This was available in the main dining room. There was a large selection of buffet food inlcuding cereals, rolls, bread/toast, juices etc. Much to our great surprise we were also presented with a full menu to select a wide and plentiful selection of fully cooked breakfast. This was in addition to the buffet. When it arrived it was huge and certainly set you up for the day ahead.
You can walk out along a pier to the left of the hotel and enjoy all kinds of seafood, fast food and snacks.
We also enjoyed a very good meal for lunch one day at the Pavilion also to the left of the hotel along the beach front.
Staff within the hotel were very capable and made us feel very welcome. Check in and check out was fine and we had no dificulties. Car parking is available free of charge but it is in an open air public car park about 50m down the main street. Vouchers are provided by the hotel.
Enjoy this hotel and dwell in the atmosphere of history still in the making.

Room Tip: Request a seafacing room. It is worth it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We booked here for our anniversary, and although the room was small, the decor was lovely and the view amazing. The staff were great (especially the cleaning ladies who could not do enough to help, and showed us other rooms as we spoke about coming back again). The bar staff and breakfast staff were lovely too.
Broadstairs is lovely, lots of ice cream parlours and places to eat and drink coffee!
We were ready to book for next year when we checked out but the prices have jumped up for 2012 and the woman on reception was terse and slightly disinterested that I wanted to book again. I didn't - which is a shame as she was the only person who made us feel unwanted.
Overall I recommend this hotel and for somewhere to eat, it has a great atmosphere and amazing surroundings.

Room Tip: Room 14 is very compact. Try and book room 15 it has a roll top bath & a balcony area.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed here in a twin room for three nights and it was all super. The staff were smashing, the room was lovely and the location is fantastic. At the rear of the hotel is a terrace and patio garden overlooking Viking Bay and the beach where you can have all meals including breakfast, or a drink, or just sit and admire the view.
You can get good drinks, snacks and meals at anytime from the hotel's cafe/restaurant and even though not included they will happily provide a latte etc for your breakfast drink.
The room was very nicely appointed and clean with a light and spacious bathroom, all facilities were in excellent working order.
A great base for visiting the Thanet area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Albion Hotel? Share your experiences!