“If walls could talk......” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 95 Restaurants in Broadstairs
Cuisines: Mediterranean, English, Wine Bar
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“If walls could talk......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have many happy memories of Harper's wine bar. If it could talk, it could probably give you a pretty accurate account of my adult life over the last thirty years. I have celebrated birthdays, both my own and other people's here, I have brought (nearly) all my girlfriends here, I have celebrated exam passes here, even the passing of my driving test, back in the 1980's. Now unfortunately, it doesn't seem so good. The last time I went there, with my wife, during Folk Week, entrance was through the side door, the music was deafening, and it was so crowded that we could hardly breathe, and we couldn't get to the bar to order any drinks. The time before that, it was almost empty, and the staff, who should have been serving, were all busy doing something else.

Having said all this, I have usually found the food to be very good, and the drinks the same. Maybe I just caught them at bad times, but oh, how I miss the Harper's of years past. Fun, friendly, discreet and reasonably priced!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had a lovely meal in Harpers after a long walk, it was just what the doctor ordered, I went in for a meal and it was such a good atmosphere I stayed for the Live Music, what an experience!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Pretty average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This bar/restaurant has a nice look with a cosy courtyard surrounded by ivy covered walls. Unfortunately the courtyard was spoilt by what felt like a constant stream of staff coming out to smoke and lounge around which was very unprofessional. Also the area is small and the smoke smell completely took over, the staff were unconcerned about blowing smoke towards us and we had a baby and small child with us so I was not impressed. The food was ok, some slightly odd combinations, portions were too big and the quality was average. I wouldn't go back there.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Broadstairs
“Good Food - Nice Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Very busy pub in the heart of town stocked with nice beers and service always with a smile no matter how busy it gets.

Visited June 2012
London, UK
“Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Went for dinner on a Saturday evening. Despite only being one of 3 tables, service was weak with staff spending more time smoking in the garden than being attentive to the customers. Food was OK although not a single vegetarian option for main course. For a wine bar, wine list had to be asked for and is not exactly extensive. Would not rush back.

• Visited June 2012