“Nice makeover of old pub” 4 of 5 stars

01843 603040
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Charles Dickens is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 101 Restaurants in Broadstairs
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Ramsgate
“Nice makeover of old pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had eaten in this pub in its old guise, and it was pretty awful. The food was not very good and the decor very sad. Since it has been taken over by Thorley Taverns it has been given a complete refurbishment, in a nice modern, light style, and the food on offer is a cut above the average bar meal. We had a midweek lunch on this occasion.
The menu is quite adventurous, but still includes some standard favourites, such as fish and chips, and sausage and mash, but even these are very well presented as well as being excellently prepared. The bar is well stocked, and includes at least three cask ales. Staff are friendly, polite and knowledgeable. The coffee is better than at some of the well-known national chains. Prices are higher than in some comparable pubs, but overall the quality is worth it.

We have previously had a Sunday lunch here with a large family party, including a number of small and very lively children. We were given our own restaurant area on a mezzanine floor, where the kids could make as much noise as they liked without disturbing other diners, and where it didn't matter if they ran about a bit. We did not have a fixed menu, but all of the party were pleased with their choice of food, its quality and presentation.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Rainham
“Preferred the Old Charles Dickens”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Been using this pub for years and have to say I prefer the Old Style Charles Dickens under the previous owners. It has now gone all modern and as a result is so busy it is difficult to move. Obviously it is very popular but I am not so keen. I also prefer the old style menu and ordering system.

Visited August 2012
Ramsgate, England, United Kingdom
“Food that fights back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Since the refurbishment last year, this place now has a passable vegetarian menu, which pleased the wife (who is not easily pleased). We both looked at her plate when it arrived and remarked upon how nice her food looked. It looked as though it had come from a kitchen, wherein resided a chef.

Is it possible that the same chef could have cooked my lunch? My steak and ale pie with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables? No i don't think so. My meal must have been thrown into the microwave (an apprentice microwave at that), and my lunch blasted to within an inch of its life.

My potatoes were canonballs capable of breaching a 12" thick hull. Their skin, hard and leathery, resisted all attempts made by my knife to get at their interior, until i perfected a downward stabbing motion. I cannot think of any cooking process that would create a hard skin on a roast potato. I almost wish i'd asked, just to satisfy my curiosity.

But, compared to the Steak Pie, the potatoes were novices in the art of self defense. The top crust was quickly broken, but that was as far as i was able to advance. I was thrown back by the hard chewy lumps of beef. I barely escaped with my teeth.

The waitress was very sympathetic and i felt for her discomfort. She took it away and persuaded me to have something else. I tried the pork belly which was a little, but not much better. (it's very difficult to overcook pork belly, due to the quantity of fat......but they tried). To the restaurants credit, they did not charge me for my food.

The Charles Dickens used to be a regular haunt of my wife and I, before they spent a fortune on refurbishment. The food used to be reliably good...Perhaps i caught the staff on a really, really bad day. Looking at some of the other reviews, perhaps that is the case. But we won't be back....i'm not sure i could afford the dentist bills after.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Faversham
“Stylish in every way with the best view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here after a drive to Broadstairs. It's not really a pub unless you don't consider Gastro & Pub an oxymoron. It is a really nice restaurant. Old world yet not dated style. The oak furnishing is lovely. We sat upstairs so that we could make the most of the view. We arrived just gone 1pm and it was abuzz. I had the broccoli & Stilton soup which was delicious. Served with crusty bread & toasted almonds. For mains I had the chargrilled aubergine which is served with risotto. My wife had a club sandwich which should not be ordered if you fancy a starter as it's a meal all by itself. She said it was delicious. She really liked it because her bacon was crispy. Our tummies rebelled when we looked at the dessert menu & so we settled with a couple of coffees which are served with Maltezers in a tall shot glass. The friendly service is as crisp as the waitresses uniforms. If I wanted to impress visitors without breaking the bank this would be at the forefront of my mind. Food plus coffees & three pints between brought the bill to £35.

Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Great Expectations - and not without reason!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I went here for lunch a few days ago. It really was excellent. My fish dish was gorgeous! beautifully prepared and very fresh. Paula and staff really know their business. It was very clean and the staff were friendly and attentive. I would certainly recommend thius restaurent on a number of counts - food (obviously!), atmosphere, service and view. Lovely!

• Visited February 2013