“Overpriced” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
“Overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had a meal and drink I had to give beer back as was warm and changed for extra cold carlsberg and asked for money back as less expensive. The meal was like eating salt only and I did mention not to add salt when cooking. I will not return here in near or years later until management change.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Restaurant only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We ate here as a group of 14. The restaurant is in a lovely location overlooking the bay, The service was good, the food was quite good but the cost was more than it should have been for the quality of the food. All in all I wouldn't rush back to eat here again

Romford, United Kingdom
“A bit of posh nosh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

As the weather was warm and sunny we all decided to sit outside on the patio and enjoy the great view down to the beach and sea.We had an assortment of bruchetta's,sandwiches,thai chicken cakes with salad and chips We were served very quickly even though they were very busy and was a reasonable price,and very tasty.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Breakfast at the Albion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had friends staying for the weekend and we decided to go the the Royal Albion for breakfast on the Sunday morning. It was a beautiful morning with the sun shining and we had a table for five on the balcony outside - beautiful. Unfortunately, out of the five breakfast orders they only managed to get two right. I was impressed that because one of my party was a vegetarian they offered a vegie full english which was much appreciated but when it came items were missing. Unfortunately though on 4 out of our 5 orders items were either missing or there when they should not have been. Two plates had to go back to the kitchen twice. The fried eggs were glutonous and horrid, potates (if you got them) were hard and, overall, breakfast was a terrible disappointment. We informed the waitress that we were not happy about the food and the fact that it had been such a muddle, but we received no apology. I would certainly not take anyone there again. Certainly was not value for money.

I also rang a couple of weeks ago to enquire about hiring a room for a birthday celebration at the end of December. I spoke with the manager but was told quite curtly that at that time of year it was Christmas party time. I then suggested that it could be treated as a Christmas party but was told quite firmly that this could not happen and it was not something they would be interested in.

London, United Kingdom
“Solid all-rounder”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

INTRODUCTION
Ballards is part of the 3* Royal Albion Hotel. Last time we were there, Ballards lost points but it does seem to have redeemed itself to a considerable extent. It’s a good venue for casual dining.

SITUATION, AMBIENCE AND DECOR
The Royal Albion Hotel is in Albion Street (no, really, it is), just behind the promenade. Ballards itself has fantastic views over Viking Bay. The decor still needs attention. I noted stains on the blinds, which didn’t seem to have seen the inside of a dry cleaner’s in several generations. One solecism is that they allow dogs into the bar. This isn’t Europe. I really, REALLY don’t want dogs in an eating area or, for that matter, the sorts of people that insist on bringing dogs into an eating area.

SERVICE
Service was always with a smile and generally very good. You order your food at the bar and it appears (usually) pretty speedily. The one time that we did have to wait yielded profuse apologies. I got the impression that the chap was genuinely embarrassed. The members of staff all seem to have been put through some sort of customer care training course, as they all had the same shtick for the punters. That certainly isn’t damning with faint praise. I was delighted to see it and it was a pleasure to experience.

THE FOOD (’N’ DRINK)
The menu is a touch limited. However, a limited menu means fresh ingredients and dishes not pre-cooked and stored, so marks scored there. With the cod ‘n’ chips, there were too many chips but the beer-battered cod was excellent. The fish was moist and firm and the batter light as a feather. We also tried what amounted to glorified bacon and eggs (but was still quality) and the burgers. The burgers were outstanding, being quality beef, well prepared and cooked. As with all burgers, I’d cut back on the goo that accompanies them but let that not detract too much.

This time round, the bar actually had a selection of Shepherd Neame’s excellent ales – Whitstable Bay (pale ale 3.9%), Late Red (the autumn ale), Spitfire (‘nuff said) and Master Brew (stock bitter). I wonder about the cellarmanship, as on occasion, these weren’t quite right. Not unpleasant, just a touch lacklustre.

Ballard’s also does coffee and pastries. We didn’t try the pastries but the coffee is as good as you’ll find anywhere in Broadstairs, which is saying something.

VFM
This is pub dining. Consequently, it won’t break the bank. The bar, on the other hand, is rather dear - almost nine quid for a pint and a (single) G&T.

CONCLUSION
This is a vast improvement on our last visit. Even without that comparison, it’s a genuinely nice place to eat informally. The yardstick is that we ate there several times in the course of our stay.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere