“consistently high standard” 4 of 5 stars

dale road, Matlock Bath, England
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 23 Restaurants in Matlock Bath
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Matlock, United Kingdom
“consistently high standard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

regular attender of this restaurant - friend books the 'buffet' as part of a group of up to 15... always consistently good food and service. excellent VFM and never a problem with extra dishes etc., saag paneer is very good for vegitarians. Dishes are always same and a bit predicable but always good quality.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Matlock, Derbyshire
“Old Faithful, Nowt Wrong With That”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My whole family (of 5) have been coming here since it opened about 15 years ago and it is the only Indian restaurant worth visiting in this part of Derbyshire.

Indian restaurant food is rapidly becoming outdated because of the determination of so many outlets to insist upon using the tried and tested formula of the 80s curry house. The Matlock Bath Balti (Matlock Balti? Eh? It's in Matlock Bath opposite the station!) has prospered not by departing from the formula but by deploying its familiar constituent parts extremely well.

Here's a list of what I think are its positive attributes: the onion bhajis are the best I've tasted anywhere in Great Britain; the nan bread is very, very high in quality, soft and delicious; the lamb dishes are superb because the meat is marinated before cooking and so has a marvellously soft texture; the kulfi is beautiful; the service is fantastic (more of which anon); the consistency of performance is exceptional: we eat here maybe 6-8 times a year and not once have we seen the standards slip: not once. Finally, the small dining room adjacent to the bar is a very, very pleasant place in which to eat: it's small, but intimate.

So, look, as they say these days, if you're a tourist or you're a local, if you want "an Indian" that follows a traditional menu, and you wanted to be treated right, respectfully by really nice people who really care about the standard of food, of service and who care about the customer, then you want to go here.

Now the downside: having been to a couple of exceptional small sub-continental restaurants in London (Whitechapel, Goodge Street), I'm always on at the guys who wait on to vary the menu. I'd particularly like the option of the fantastic tandoori lamb chops you get at the Nadoo Grill in Whitechapel and the other place around the corner with the massive queues all week long whose name I can't recall this second. I'd also like to see them (as I would like every other "formula" Indian restaurant) just boosting up the flavours a bit more, pushing things in the direction of home made food. For the price, they should be able to do it.

The other downside: prices. This will sound somewhat paradoxical: the main courses are priced too high as far as I'm concerned, and have been for some time. But, because they're pretty generous, my wife and I always share one. In fact, we share everything: side dishes, a single nan and an onion bhaji (though not starters if we have them or papadoms) (call me peculiar but I love an onion bhaji - minus the salad - with my main course). So, the bill comes out at around thirty quid once a beer and my kulfi has been added on to it. Fifteen quid a head is good value to we punters who don't have all that much money to spend on eating out. In fact at the MBB, it's exceptional value.

Overall, though, this is a restaurant which we always enjoy using. The staff are so nice the experience of eating there is always very, very pleasant. We always feel very relaxed and totally welcome. And we remain very grateful for that.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing Indian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was recommended by my B&B (Manor Farm Dethick) and the food was some of the best Indian food I've ever had. I live in Chicago very near the famous Devon Avenue lined with a wide variety of Indian restaurants and this was the equal of any of them and superior to most. Service was very thorough and friendly. Waiters serve with white gloves and make the experience special. The portions are enormous as well and I had enough food for three meals.

Visited May 2013
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Very good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Was recommended this restaurant by Sue @ the Birds Nest apartment, and it was a good recommendation! We went as a group of 4, on a saturday evening.
Staff made us feel very welcome, nice wine, good tasty food, and we all came away with a doggy bag!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Notts
“How has this place got such good reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went here with my wife after reading the takeaway-menu said it was the best masala in the world what a disappointment we both agreed it was the worst Indian we had ever had it was so bad it was hilarious after we had seen their claim to be so good even the rice was rubbish and that must take some doing for a so called Indian chef to be able to make such a mess of avoid this restaurant like the plague

• Visited May 2013