“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 23 Restaurants in Matlock Bath
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely night's stay at the High Tor Hotel this weekend as part of a KGB deal, our room was small but perfectly adequate with all the modern facilities. The Hotel was very clean and refurbished to a great standard. I do agree with a previous review that the dining room is a bit bland and could do with more personality though. We received a very warm welcome, breakfast was lovely with very helpful staff. Would definitely stay again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Worksop, United Kingdom
“very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

we went yesterday for the afternoon tea deal from groupon,the food
and service was very average and not a patch on others we have had
also the offer said salmon sandwiches were available,we were greeted
with ( is cheese spread ok)
also they say millions have been spent on the building,but after a lifetime
in the building trade.i would not have paid the joiners and decorators
in buttons,very poor standards making the place look cheap and tacky.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea.. NO THANKS!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Brought a deal on groupon, afternoon tea for two. Think we should of taken the hint from the vomit in the car park and stayed away! But thought hey we've paid for it lets give it a go!! WHY WHY WHY Did we go in?!?! Not exactly sure what the afternoon tea was apart from DISGUSTING!!! Avoid at all costs. I've eaten in some places but this place is bad! Didn't even bring it home to feed the husband.. now thats BAD!

derbyshire
“An experience never to be repeated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I went with my daughter for the afternoon tea on the 8th November 2012, I have never been served food quite like this and I have eaten in a lot of places around the world, I have to say even sweetcorn brought from a old lady at the side of the road in the middle of Sri Lanka tasted better. The ham sandwiches were full of fat and gristle, the bread soggy and wet, the cakes dry and some of it was difficult to tell what it was supposed to be. Even the coffee was undrinkable, I would not recommend the food to anyone including my dog.

Matlock, United Kingdom
“New....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My partner and I ate here for dinner about a month ago. She had persuaded me to give it a go as she remembered it as an old stomping ground many many millennia ago. It's been renovated in the past year in a local press frenzy of "2 millions pounds" and much hyperbole. I was very interested to see it to be honest.
The downstairs is very well appointed and the tradesmen who were responsible need congratulating. The designer, however, doesn't. It's so bland and "magnolia" coloured that I kept lapsing into a nightmarish vision of what living inside a scoop of cheap ice cream might feel like. Whomever has ordered the renovation is obviously not short of a bob or two as I noticed the sound system (something I know about from a previous professional musical lifetime) was not cheap and was a bit of overkill for the size of the place and the quality of the music which I was subjected to - the worst of R&B). The fittings throughout went like this -cheap, cheap, average, expensive, average, lottery winner, average, B&Q. It is very, very odd. If I were a betting man I would wager that the owner is a young(ish) affluent male. To the meal...

The staff are very helpful and smiley, and polite in all the right places. The dining room is awful. It's devoid of anything interesting except the sound system which by now I was convinced was the single most expensive fitting in the whole place. The menu was the usual gastro, nouvelle, copied dishes, stuff that you'd expect - chicken, lamb, all with a distinct southern European feel to it. I don't like tomatoes very much. There, I've said it. Only one dish appeared to not contain them - chicken something or other - so I ordered it. Starter of smoked salmon too.
The salmon was beyond reproach. Smokey, no big fat veins, it was well sourced even if it didn't come from the river derwent the other side of the road, as befits the current foodie fashion. I really enjoyed it. The main was a challenge. It came as a chicken "joint" with the small bone scraped back. OK, it was pointless, but it did add attention to detail to my list. The "sauce" it was sitting in was oily and tasted, oddly, of chemicals. I was making the best of the whole affair while trying to look interested as my partner regaled me with stories from 30 years ago until I saw raw chicken. It was close to the bone. Now I'm not one to panic at this sort of thing, even though I had campylobacter, caught in marrakech, for a month, and I like all my meat rare to bleeding, but it wasn't right, Coupled with the chemical sauce and weird over fried diced potato, I gave the dish a thumbs down.
We didn't try pudding.
I'm not feeling angry about this meal, so don't get that idea (even though I felt it was a tad expensive for what it was). I'm more angry that they've "blanded" up the place to the point of misery. I'm absolutely certain the chef has some skill, even when displaying it to an empty dining room. I hope the owner reads this and decides to fill the place out a bit with things which detract from the "barrett home" feel of the place, good though the workmanship is.
I'd like this place to succeed. It's within walking distance and is an imposing building in it's own right.

• Visited September 2012