“What a very pleasent suprise” 5 of 5 stars

High Tor Hotel
170 Dale Road, Matlock Bath DE4 3PS, England   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Matlock Bath B&B and Inns
Rotherham
“What a very pleasent suprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

On arrival I was met by a very warm and friendly welcome. I had the opportunity to meet the new director in the bar area - Sofia! Who was very forthcoming and friendly in her approach to all the guests staying at the hotel. It was my birthday, and the hotel amazed me by offering a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine on arrival! Both me and my partner had reserved the luxury room which was well worth paying a little extra for the upgrade. I have read earlier reviews on the tea and coffee facilities - this must have been implemented since the earlier reviews!! We did dine in for the evening meal and it was amazing, a bit pricey - but well worth it!! And spent the remainder of the evening in the bar - and enjoyed every minute...

I have been to many a hotel, and this is one that I would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Upgrade, it is well worth it!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed on the 28 September for 2 nights in Room No 4, at £120 per night, room very small.

No noise from road, however, the noise from downstairs in the bar and the telephone in reception can keep you awake. Also there does not seem to be any sound proofing in the rooms. This results in being able to hear other peoples conversations from the other bedrooms whilst in your room.

As we stayed there two nights - the cleaning of the bedrooms was not great, the hotel bedroom bin was not emptied. They offer free tea/coffee or bottled water free, which they bring up as part of room service, however, the glasses nor bottles were taking away nor washed up. They just remained in our room for the whole duration of our stay.

We only had breakfast which was included in the price of the room, however this was not great either. Food very disappointing. We did not have an evening meal within the hotel, however the menu seemed very expensive, and whilst we were there we only saw one couple eating in the restaurant.

I think if this hotel wants to remain in business, they need to reduce the price of the room, improve on the service, have special offers like dinner bed and breakfast and have a website.

To be honest we have had better service within a Premier inn then at this hotel.

HighTorr, Manager at High Tor Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear guest
We are very disappointed to hear that your stay at the hotel did not live up to expectations. We value all customer feedback and your comments will be fed back to the relevant staff members.

At the high tor hotel, we endeavour to offer an amazing customer experience and although newly established this is our main focus as a family owned business.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I visited this hotel this afternoon after buying a voucher on groupon. Must admit the hotel is very impressive as you drive up to it it looks smart and clean and inviting. Upon entering the hotel the standards are just as good it has clearly been recently refurbished and looks very impressive inside also. We were met by friendly staff who guided us to our table and within ten minutes were served with a beautiful afternoon tea which represented excellent value. Well done High Tor we shall definitely be going here again possibly for Sunday lunch as that looked very good too!:)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am always surprised at the huge discrepancy in the best and worst reviews for a place. I can only assume that there are those for whom NOTHING will ever be right, and they are just born moaners! My partner and I stayed on the 8th September. High Tor is a Grade 2 Listed building and is very attractive. It has been sympathetically restored, with the rooms we saw being of a very high standard. Lucy, the manager, and her staff were friendly and very helpful - we asked for a pot of tea at roughly 7.30am Sunday morning and within 5 minutes it was brought to our room. The evening meal was delicious - my partner had the lamb and I had the chicken - with a lovely mushroom and tarragon soup starter.
Nothing was too much trouble, and we had a lovely stay in a lovely Hotel, not hindered by being conveniently located about half way between Matlock and Matlock Bath in easy walking distance.
Minor gripes, mentioned before, are the lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room and, well, that's it really! Thank you to Lucy and her staff for a lovely weekend!

Room Tip: The 'bridal' suite is superb!!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I travel to Matlock regularly and have resided in many of the hotels on offer, I decided to give High Tor a go, and I was pleasently surprised! I stayed in a nice room, with a decent sized bed, which, might I add, gave me a fantastic nights sleep before a big meeting that i was dreading!
I had a proper breakfast with homemade bread! not many places offer that anymore! And everyone i came across approached me with a smile.
Thanks to all the staff, I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Just tell the staff your requirements and they will cater accordingly.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night over the recent bank holiday, with my 3 and 4 year old children and a cousin. We booked the family room and found ourselves in a gorgeously decorated clean bright room big enough for the children to run around in. The staff were superb, nothing was too much trouble them. I was worried about noise from the road below the hotel, with it being a very busy bank holiday.However we couldnt hear a thing and the children slept very well. The food was absolutely superb, the service first class,and the staff very helpful especially catering for the children.Overall a brilliant experience for us all. I would thoroughly recommend it, and will book again for christmas.Well done everyone and keep up the great work.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Booked a 1 night stay in a luxury room with either jet shower or luxury bath.Must have missed the small print.
We got an attic room with normal shower no headroom because of the sloping roof and a small bed.With traffic noise from the busy road below the front of the hotel.
Hotel had lift but only up to the first floor, rooms on the top floor accessed by what i found to be a steep staircase with no hand rail that was difficult to descend around the corner.
hotel full so could not be moved
staff good food good .
access to property up sloping road both entrance and exit very poor.
no designated footpath, no hand rails , very steep entrance road found it risky to walk up and down going to town.Perimeter wall that stopped you falling down to main road below did not seem to be finished to me, and a steep drop down a flight of overgrown concrete steps next to the entrance slope was not signed gated or fenced off, children beware.
Location great and staff great.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room on the first floor as the one we had on the second floor was small noisy an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to High Tor Hotel? Share your experiences!