“Would stay here again if they made the necessary updates.” 2 of 5 stars

Clonea Strand Hotel
Clonea Road | Clonea Beach, Dungarvan, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dungarvan
waterford
“Would stay here again if they made the necessary updates.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stayed last night at this hotel as we were attending my cousins communion.

Could not fault the communion meal, food was excellent, staff were brilliant and we wanted for nothing. The communion party then went bowling and I have to say the facilities are excellent. Then went back to the bar and were told the only food available was pizza, which was very nice, if a little overpriced. Me being a teenager, I was very disappointed that the wifi was broken. As we had a few drinks, at 10pm we decided we'd see if we could check in for the night. The lady at reception was lovely, and gave us a discounted rate as it was very late when we decided to check in. I went up to the room and was taken aback at how outdated it was, bedding was clean and warm, but they could probably do with some bedding from this century. I decided to have a bath, and after having the hot tap on for ten minutes, was unhappy to see it had only filled an inch of the bath. I didn't have the patience to wait for it to eventually fill. Was also unhappy to find out that the TV wasn't working. The bed was very comfortable, and it was nice to wake up and see the sea from our window.

Joined the rest of the communion party for breakfast and we sat at a big table in the corner. There were only really tiny "shot" glasses for the juice, and I was told there were no other glasses available. As we were a large party I asked if I could get a jug of juice for the table and I was told I wasn't allowed. The breakfast was a joke, the beans were the cheapest of cheap, and we had to ask about three different people for toast. There was no cutlery set out on our table and no cups for our coffee, so we had to rob them from other tables. As we were a large group, we soon ran out of toast, we asked a waitress if she could get more for us, and she said she couldn't as she was only there to lay tables.

Decided to check out early and head home. This hotel has a fab location, and has amazing potential, but is desperately crying out to be updated.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are amazing
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
CloneaRep, Director of Sales at Clonea Strand Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thanks for your expansive review. I am delighted to hear that both the Food and Service was excellent for the Communion Lunch.

I appreciate the time you took to write it and I am glad that despite the issues you raised that you will return and hopefully further visits in the future.

Please accept my sincere apologies that these small incidents happened and invariably I find that it is the addition of small items like these that add up to one large negative impression.
I am aware of your booking as you decided to stay and check-in very late at 11pm, Kathleen our Hotel Manager gave you a special rate of €70 for two incl Breakfast. Thankfully from this information I can see which room you stayed in I shall check the bedroom issues with Housekeeping but we have not been made aware of any such problems to date.

It is always best to highlight these during your stay while you are here so that we can quickly resolve them so that you have a smooth and enjoyable stay with us.

Please contact me personally when you do decide to return and I will ensure that you have a very enjoyable stay the next time.

I am contactable at cshfrontdesk@gmail.com

I trust that this is in order.

_________________________________________________________________________
The Clonea Strand Hotel & Leisure Centre employ a team of local and dedicated staff at our Waterford Resort who are focused on delivering an authentic customer experience. We actively seek and welcome genuine, constructive feedback. Each member of our Resort Team are aware of all genuine posts on TripAdvisor and we are proud to say that we do not in any way advocate or engage in posting fake reviews. It is our policy from April 2014 to protect our on line reputation and we will investigate each review and take the necessary steps associated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I purchased a deal on deal rush for two nights with breakfast, wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised lovely hotel and staff, breakfast was lovely we were given a see view room which was just lovely as there was a fireworks display on the other side of the loch which we could see perfectly from hotel room. Made great use of swimming and steam rooms. Would stay again, just a lovely old hotel in a lovely area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
CloneaRep, Director of Sales at Clonea Strand Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us, I appreciate you taking the time to voice your comments to us. We pride ourselves on our traditional 'old hotel' values and we believe this counts for making the Clonea Strand the 'homely and quality hotel' you we strive to be.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your Deal Site Voucher with us.
It was great to have you stay with us and I look forward to you returning in the future.

Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We,very recently had our sons Communion Lunch at the Clonea Strand Hotel and all I can say is that from start to finish we enjoyed every minute of it.It started with check in at 1pm which was fantastic to have it so early,a very pleasant lady I think called Margaret who it was blatantly obvious had years of experience welcoming guests,checked us in with ease and made us feel instantly at home!We had a lovely corner family sea facing room as requested,the rooms were basic but clean and very spacious,definitely in need of an update but this did not take away from our stay!We had some drinks in the bar with the 30 plus of our group and then proceeded to the Fountain room for our meal.This is a beautiful room laid out with 4 round tables to suit our group to perfection.Our food was served by the nicest people and it was enjoyed by every one of the group,which is a rarity with such a big group!!We proceeded to take photos outside the room which was in the path of the staff going in and out of the kitchen but not one of them even looked funny at us they actually apologised to us for getting in the way!
A great time was had in the bar where music was provided for the evening and finger food was served with compliments- a really nice touch.Later in the night as we younger ones ordered pizzas from the bar,my older parents who would not eat pizza were kindly offered a cup of tea and the fantastic bar lady Laura kindly brought out what was left of our Communion cake to cut!
After a good nights sleep we had a scrumptious breakfast and chilled out in the lobby for a couple of hours before checking out!Highly recommended for service,food and location!And may I add that I dealt with Mark Knowles and he definitely knows his profession,he ensured we were looked after brilliantly and had a word for the small ones which makes all the difference!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
CloneaRep, Director of Sales at Clonea Strand Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for this wonderful feedback and thank you also for choosing our Clonea Strand Hotel recently. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time whilst here. Your very positive feedback regarding the welcome you received, the fantastic quality of the food, the team and indeed the hotel itself is most encouraging. Our Hotel is a standard Three Star Property, priced accordingly offering what we believe to be great value. I have passed your comments on to all on the team.
I am pleased to hear that you will definitely return.

We look forward to welcoming you back here to the dramatic West Waterford Coastline again in the near future.

Tipperary, Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Clonea Strand Hotel on Friday last the 2nd May and we both found this Hotel very very comfortable and the views are to die for over looking the Ocean. Our room was lovely and warm and clean...bathroom had a lovely Jacuzzi Bath which was a lovely added bonus...The food was very good...the reception staff of Breda, Kathleen and Mark were lovely....the girl in the bar was a lovely and friendly girl...will defo stay here again....

CloneaRep, Owner at Clonea Strand Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The Clonea Strand Hotel. We really appreciate all guest feedback that we receive here at the hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our attentive Front Office and Management Teams made your stay that more special. Rest assured that all staff mentions are met with great appreciation from each member.

I am pleased to hear that you will definitely return.

Clare, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Not sure why I'm bothering to write a review on this hotel as all negative reviews seem to be answered by a very unprofessional manager and doesn't seem to want to hear anything negative. All hotels (even the 5 star) have room for improvement and who better to tell you?
So I'm actually basing my review of this hotel from reading most of the reviews from past guests who even dared to leave their honest opinion of this hotel.
As any normal person would do just before booking a hotel break for a few days, I decided to have a quick look at the reviews of this hotel and I was get surprised to find such mixed reviews but I was also appauld to find some very rude and insulting replies to customers. Any negative reviews you never held your hand up to investigate or improve the situation.I personally would not now book into your hotel as dare I find anything not to my liking during my stay I would be afraid to report it to you. Which is a pity as I have been on day trips to your location and it is beautiful! Wishing you luck in the future!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
CloneaRep, Director of Sales at Clonea Strand Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Without Prejudice
It is very easy to hide behind a pseudo name, I for one will always reply openly and transparently to genuine posts on this forum signing my name to all replies. Our company as proven to Tripadvisor before reviews are posted for very different reasons and in some cases to undermine a business. We have had false postings removed for this forum on several occasions.
I would suggest that you contact me direct on info@clonea.com to discuss your grievance with our property.
Please remember posting of fact on such forum may leave you open to rebuke.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kilkenny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

What this hotel severely lacks in finish, the staff and location make up for in abundance. Ladies on reception are super, helpful and welcoming. We were short a towel and couldn't believe it when room service had to us in 30 seconds. You walk out the door and you are on the beach. Nice! A gem of a hotel if a little money was spent updating. Lucky owner having staff like them.

• Stayed May 2014
CloneaRep, Director of Sales at Clonea Strand Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your beautifully written review, it certainly brought a smile to all our faces and we really are so delighted that you enjoyed your time in Clonea. In particular, I thank you for you kind comments to both Kathleen and Breda, We are glad that you enjoyed all aspect of your stay & hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Clonea really soon.

Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My fiancee and i stayed last night in the bridal suite with a view to booking our wedding there next year. we are happy to say we have booked the hotel for our special day.

The first reason is the location the hotel is located right beside the beach which will be lovely for photographes and our room had a private balcony with decking looking out onto the sea, there is an adjoining balcony to ours where our guests will be staying and we can all meet up and join each other on a lovely summer evening in July.

We were shown by the manager a few different rooms where we could hold our Civil Ceremoney and we choose a lovely quant room to the back of hotel that has 3 arches and can be transformed into the perfect venue for our intimate gathering.

The reception room can be divided depending on size of guests.

We initially met Mark a few weeks ago to discuss wedding packages in "The Gold coast golf resort" Mark is Resort Director and yesterday we met Kathleen Manager of Clonea
strand hotel who was so helpful and friendly and i feel after speaking to both Kathleen and Mark planing our wedding will be made easy as they are so accommodating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review, we are delighted that you choose Clonea Strand Hotel for your stay and really appreciate you taking the time to compliment the team & the service at Clonea.
We wish you the very best of luck with the planning of your forthcoming weddings & your honeymoon and certainly look forward to welcoming you back for the big day in the not too distant future.

_________________________________________________________________________

Been to Clonea Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!