“Lovely views - as long as you are looking away from the hotel!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Relax Hotel Aquaviva to your Saves list
Relax Hotel Aquaviva
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Localita Aquaviva, 53031 Casole d'Elsa, Italy   |
Ranked #6 of 13 hotels in Casole d'Elsa
“Lovely views - as long as you are looking away from the hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here overnight towards the end of July this year.

First impressions were of the beautiful surroundings, it really is situated in a lovely spot with fantastic views.

Unfortunately that's where the positives end. The hotel is very, very dated. It was like stepping back into the 1970s.

The attitude of the staff member I encountered was also a throwback to less sophisticated times. They really weren't friendly at all, dismissive and arrogant . You can get a flavour of this by reading their responses to the negative reviews below.

The room I stayed in was very basic with an ancient floor standing air-conditioning unit that simply didn't work properly. I checked in late afternoon and went more or less straight out again as I was attending a wedding reception. When I got back to the room around midnight, the temperature within was unbearably hot. The aircon unit was making a right old racket and was blowing out warm air despite being on the coldest setting! I ended up having to switch it off and opened the window to try to get any sleep. When I woke up the following morning (after a terrible night's) I was covered in mosquito bites!

The bed was very uncomfortable too and creaked very loudly every time I made the smallest of movements.

The TV in the room was ridiculously old fashioned too without even a remote control! Thankfully I wasn't around long enough to feel the need to use it.

I was up and off very early in the morning so thankfully my stay in this place was relatively short - but it was plenty long enough for me!

To be fair only having actually been in the hotel for a few hours, I didn't try out any of the facilities that weren't in my room (pool, restaurant etc.) so I can't comment on them but everything I did experience was very poor.

So to summarise: dated, expensive with unfriendly staff. The people who run the place need to realise that times have moved on and people expect better than this. Avoid if at all possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Relax Aquaviva ... C, Direttore at Relax Hotel Aquaviva, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
We have received the review of his friend and now we read you.
you do not made ​​a great effort, except for some phrase and it was enough to make a copy and paste. Regarding our staff I hope that other people follow your suggest because the other reviews, fortunately, speak well.
I suggest you the same advice that I gave to his friend, better read the information before you book a hotel and then you will see that it will be happier and will have no surprises.

Each of our bedrooms has independent air-conditioning which, obviously has to be switched on. Unfortunately a completely silent air-conditioning unit has yet to be invented. Turning the control knob would have sufficed, as you were seemingly incapable of doing this, the reception – which is manned 24 hours a day – would have done it for you.
As for your problems with bed, never having had a previous complaint, we are at a loss to imagine why exactly you only managed one hours sleep, or what you could have been doing to make il creak so much.

Regards

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night in July 2013 and had one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had.

Our room had a broken aircon unit which only pumped out warm air, and made a loud ratting noise. The beds in our room were wretched - uncomfortable and made awful creaking noises whenever you moved. As a result, I had a about one hour's sleep.

Also this hotel is in the middle of nowhere, trying to get a taxi was virtually impossible.

On the plus side, the view from our hotel window was quite nice though.

All in all, an awful stay, I hope never to visit this hellhole again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Relax Aquaviva ... C, Direttore at Relax Hotel Aquaviva, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
your review seems you have stayed in a different hotel and not by us and probably, after an evening gone bad, someone has to take the blame.
What you define a “hellhole located in the anything.....” I want to inform you that our hotel is visited by thousands of people and that our country (ChiantiShire but I really don't know if you know what is this ..) is , every year, besieged by MILLIONS of tourists.
Next time you book an hotel, carefully read the information of the area where it is and where will be easy to find a taxi. For the rest I think that the absurdity do not needs comment.

Best Regards
Alessandro
Brussels
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel has a very nice location / great starting point to visit Siena, Florence, ... Casole d'Elsa is a nice town to visit / have dinner.

The accommodation is correct (clean, nice outdoor pool, parking, ...), but old / cheap (plastic chairs, uncomfortable, rusty, ...). The service was very basic (hard to call the staff friendly, not sharing lot of info, do not really see work, have to wait long, ...) and the breakfast was a real disgrace (limited offer, canned fruits, horrible bread, cold eggs/bacon, tasteless, full of flies, ...). I used to backpack a lot & in many hostels the food / service was actually better!

So, okay to stay there, but manage your expectations & use it mainly as a starting point to do daytrips...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Relax Aquaviva ... C, Direttore at Relax Hotel Aquaviva, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Sir,

I'm not so happy concerning your review but I take a note expecially for the breakfast (for the other things is your opinion even I don't know how the plastic chairs can be rusty) and also I really do not undestand what you mean when you say " hard to call the staff friendly, not sharing lot of info, do not really see work, have to wait long" ....... which staff reception, waiters ...??

After that you howewer you suggest to stay in this hotel ....... Perhaps you was not just one night and these problems got them just one morning ?

Sincerely.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Aquaviva hotel might not be the top of the range hotel but it's a nice place to relax near the swimming pools, enjoy all that Tuscany has to offer from the splendid view from the hotel rooms to the food from the numerous restaurant not mentioning the wine.
As French and former Italy resident, I was looking forward to come back to Italy. I was not disappointed, friendly staff and people, good food and fantastic country side.
the location of the hotel is ideal to visit the major cities of Tuscany (Pisa, Florence, Sienna, ..) all in a range of 1 hour driving from the hotel.
to summarize, my partner and I had a lovely week in Tuscany and the relaxing atmosphere of the Aquaviva certainly contribute to it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. David,

thank you for the nice review and I will take in care the wine choise because in Tuscany can offer much more.

Hoping to welcome again in Tuscany and I hope also at Aquaviva, I take the opportunity to send my best regards.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A beautiful hotel surrounded by the green hills of the tuscan countryside. Rooms are very comfortable and have a great view. Staff is very kind and helpful. Restaurant is very good. We had a lovely week in Tuscany.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pinchbeck, U.K
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed some years ago at their 'sister' hotel Gemini at Casole d'Elsa and had been recommended to try the 'new' Aquaviva. Gemini has been quite stylish- a quiet haven in simply stunning Tuscan countryside. Imagine our disappointment then to come a few kilometers down the road to Aquaviva. The countryside is still stunning but we were greeted by the noise of yelling youngsters in the pool which seemed to dominate the whole hotel. The interior furnishings were modern but certainly not elegant. My husband's comment was "rather cheap." The front of the hotel seemed to have the air of a roadside motel- such a shame! If you're looking for a romantic stay- forget it! This is a hotel for rowdy families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Relax Aquaviva ... C, Direttore at Relax Hotel Aquaviva, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Customer,

you can understand our surprise when reading his comment almost a year from the date of last stay, but to be fair, we wish to clarify a few things.
If you stayed at 'Hotel Gemini will certainly have noticed that the paintings, furnishings, furniture etc.. of 'Hotel Aquaviva are exactly the same and therefore we do not understand the negative negative comments, same thing for the pool ... in the Hotel Gemini there were no children? And then ... Hotel Gemini does not facing on a street with a lot more traffic than the street next to the Hotel Aquaviva? Why we should be compared to a Motel than the hotel Gemini despite having the same characteristics that you confirm saying that the countryside is even beautiful .....
With great respect, we can not share his comments, but we'll take a good note.
Yours sincerely
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We found this hotel 6 or 7 years ago when it was newly opened. Looking for somewhere to stay, we happened to see a sign pointing it out, and were amazed to find something so smart and comfortable off the beaten track. Having enjoyed our stay so much, we went back this October, and were not disappointed.
Good-sized room with ensuite shower/jacuzzi bath/wc. Large bed with sprung mattress. Plenty of wardrobe space. Friendly staff, excellent food, free wi-fi, fabulous views, heated indoor pool, unheated outdoor pool (too cold for October use). Centrally located for exploring the area; one day we drove to the West coast and took a boat to Elbe. Plenty of interesting hill towns nearby and within easy reach of Sienna, San Gimignano and Volterra. We'll be going there again.

Room Tip: The views are from the front