“Amazing hosts” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Montalcino
Ashland, Oregon
“Amazing hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Robert and Lucilla have a lovely home and are the perfect hosts. Their home is beautifully decorated. Breakfasts are made with local eggs and cheese and Lucilla's home made jams. I guess the best part was my father was not feeling well and they were perfect hosts to him while we were encouraged to tour the area. They both were able to make restaurant suggestions for us and Robert has a wealth of information about the region USE HIM WHEN PLANNING YOUR ITINERARY! We look forward to a return trip to Italy with a homebase in Montalcino next time! I miss them already.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel was great. The service lacked the friendliness I had elsewhere which was a shame, but they were pleasant. I was in the apartments, which were really good. The little touches made it really special. I think this is an expensive town to stay, and this was really good value for money. I also ate there one night which was very good.

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms in the main building, but the apartments were excellent. Mine was above a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Read in other reviews very positive things so decide to try it. Looking in trip advisor the average cost is between 70-100 euros a night in the hotel, we were charged 135 euros. This was the most expensive rate we paid in the six cities we have stayed in on our trip so far and has been the worst experience. The room and bathroom are fine in size and stocked with what you need. The bed has been the worst, extremely hard, uncomfortable, with a major roll to the middle. The walls have no soundproofing. We heard some kids laughing and screeching until late at night. At 10:30 someone started blasting the radio. The owners were very friendly to people they knew yet very rude to guests. Value for the money was not there at all. Frankly there is really no reason to go into the town at all. Nothing to do or see that is worth while. You are better off visiting the various wineries you will have a better experience. The wine stores in town are all owned by just a couple of people using different names on each store so the prices are very much the same and many charge for the tasting unless you buy. We bought plenty but would still suggest if you're on a tasting trip go to the separate wineries and enjoy the experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We loved this little boutique hotel! My wife said she felt like Rapunzel in her tower! Absolutely fabulous views, a comfortable room, and a warm and inviting reception area. Also, one of the best breakfasts we had on our trip. Regretfully, the restaurant was closed the first night of our arrival, and we opted for eating elsewhere the second night--wish we had tried the restaurant because it generally has very positive reviews. The staff was pleasant and accommodating but not overly warm, which seemed in keeping with our overall experience in Montalcino. We will definitely stay there again, but will reserve Room Number 1 well in advance, if it is available, since it is the only room with an outside terrace!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Twain Harte, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Spent much time in planning our trip to Tuscany and staying in the hill towns. Wife and I spent all four nights at Il Giglio Hotel & Restaurant. Could not of been happier with our choice. Boutique family run hotel and restaurant in the middle of this amazing hill town. We spend a couple of day trips seeing the other hill towns and with each town visited, we said that we stayed in the right town and right hotel. Very clean and wellappointed room. Bed was firm, but just the way we like them! View out the window was breath taking! Breakfast spread was fantastic. Homemade coffee cakes and pastries amongst the choices. Dinner is the restaurant should not be missed!!! Amazing food and wine suggestions/pairings are super. We ate two dinners here during our stay. Michelle (the son) is a sommelier and is very helpful in suggesting wines to taste and wineries to visit. Thank you Mario and Anna!!! You made our stay in Montalcino very special! We will brush up on our Italian better for our next trip! :-)

Room Tip: We had room #2 and had a fantastic view of the valley below out our window.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had dinner here and a young lady helped us which choosing courses and matching wine, a work that she managed in a splendid way. The starters, pasta, main course and above all, the cheeses where perfect! Try to get a table near the window, the view is very beautiful. The best restaurant in Montalcino in my opinion!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Beaufort,SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Spent one night and was offered a room in the main part of the Hotel, or one of two apartments about 50 meters away in a separate building. The apartment is really 4 circle's worth, but because of how tough it is to get your luggage there I would speculate other reviews might not be as generous on overall rating. You cannot park at the front door. Steep cobblestone alley way and lots of steps to the apartment. I simply unpacked what I needed for the night and parked the car in the public area. Not a problem. If you are elderly and have a tough time with stairs or climbing, stay in the Hotel. The son, Michele speaks very fluent English, studied at Berkley, and would answer any questions you might have.

Apartment was very comfortable, warm,.spacious, well appointed - with good hot water and plenty of volume for a shower (no tub). Well thought out IKEA kitchen, and there is a washing machine if you can figure out the cycles... caution, there is no dryer!

I reserved the other one BR apartment but the couple decided to stay another night, so Michele and his mother offered me the larger apartment for the same price. The Hotel room they offered was small in comparison, but a panoramic view of the Val d'Orcia. For the difference in nightly rate, I chose the apartment. They are in the process of adding another apartment; it was under construction. Based on what I experienced, I'm quite sure the additionaly apartment will be just as nice as the one I stayed in.

Did not do breakfast (8 Euros), but a deal compared to most. Beautiful setting along panoramic windows for morning coffee and Prima Colazione. The owners are cordial, polite, and very business like. But in defense of most businesses in Montalcino, the owners were no different than most. Montalcino is not the friendliest or easiest place to visit. Brunello is good, but compared to Chianti Riservas, the merchants in Montalcino should at least try to be friendlier.

Il Giglio Hotel Lobby has a very inviting atmosphere with a wonderful fireplace. One small log at a time in Italy seems to be the norm. Had there been three logs, would have camped out for a bottle of wine, cheese and or Bruschetta. Had it been offered. would have been glad to pay and imbibe. Michele, when asked, did bring a glass of wine - complimentary with the breadsticks of the area. Very nice touch...

Good accommodations, apartment was very good value for the stay - but Hotel room was pricey for what was offered. They have a restaurant, but did not eat there. Went down the alley way (to the right and on the right about 300 M) and ate a very good restaurant. Great pizza and salad Very reasonable. For coffee in the morning go to the Piazza and visit Cafe Leggio. Owner is very nice, smiles immediately and welcomes you regardless of where you are from. I walked out and forgot to pay, returned and reminded her in my broken Italian of the mistake - she laughed and said no problem, and graciously served me another Macchiatto. This time I paid, bought several items and really dont think she charged me for the first one. She and her friend sat next to me at the restaurant the night before and I remember them smiling and saying Buona Sera as they left the dinner table. Small world as she greeted me the next morning with Buon Giorno. Cafe Leggio is a must for coffee. Locals meet in the morning for town gossip and politics. Fun and interesting.

Room Tip: IF you can handle the steps, the apartment is the way to go for space and value.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Il Giglio Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!