“Great hospitality and scenery not to mention the Brunello” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Il Cocco Winery

Il Cocco Winery
Podere Il Cocco | Wine Tasting Only by Appointment- Degustazioni Solo Su Appuntamento, 53024 Montalcino Montalcino, Italy
+39 347 080 9712
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 41 Activities in Montalcino
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Organic farm that produce Brunello, Rosso di Montalcino, IGT Toscana, Grappa amd Olive Oil. Wine tasting with the producer to see the secrets of my wines. For any details please contact me and book a wine tasting. Have a nice day full of wines! Giacomo
Melbourne, Australia
“Great hospitality and scenery not to mention the Brunello”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our visit and was personally taken around the Vinyard by Giacomo himself. We got to experience from Vinyard to bottle and see the whole process and care taken to create such exceptional wine. Total recommend please pay Giacomo and his two dogs large German Shepard and small dog a visit.

Polcenigo, Italy
“Wonderful Tuscan experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I took a wine tour here with one other couple while visiting Tuscany. This quaint winery had a wonderful down home feel to it. We were greeted by Giacocmo and his faithful dog as we arrived. He led us to the vinyard and we tasted the juicy sangiovese grosso grape off the vine. They were surprisingly sweet and delicious though it was a month before harvest Giacomo explained. "Not quite ready to be brunello yet" he smiled. He was very personable and likable and easily detaileded the grape growing/wine production process in a way we could understand. Excellent wines!! This winery is a gem, tucked back in a wonderfully quiet, scenic corner of Tuscany. We will definitely go back and stay at this winery/agriturismo! The best we visited...

Visited September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Incredible find if you can find it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I took a one day trip from Florence to Montalcino with a small tour. They brought us to this well hidden gem in the hills. A tiny family owned bed and breakfast and vineyard in the most idyllic setting unfolded over the hill. We were greeted by young Giacomo, son of the family owners, and chief tour guide, wine maker, grape picker, bottler and entertainer. I was there at the end of October days after the grape harvest. The crushing room had a fabulous aroma of freshly picked grapes. We had a marvelous detailed tour, education about wine worthy of a degree, and then a wonderful tasting of Brunello, Rosso, cheese, and Grapa. I loved the Brunello and ordered a case to be shipped back to Boston. The price was fair, the wine arrived in excellent condition, and I am actually drinking a glass of the delicious 2004 as I am writing this over 2 years later. I expect I will order more over the years, and I certainly plan to return.
Bottom line is simple: If you are looking for a truly SPECIAL place to visit up in Montalcino, this is the one. You can then hit one of the 'biggies' and remember I told you that you will like Il Cocco better!

Visited October 2012
Chicago
4 attraction reviews
“Met the entire staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife, infant daughter and I visited Il Cocco in Montancino as part of Angie's Tuscan Wine Tour in Sept 2012. It was a week before harvest and the vines were heavy with grapes. Its funny that we met the entire staff, because winemaker Giacomo does everything!! I'm sure he was very busy, but he gave us a wonderful unrushed tour of the facilities, vines, and a tasting. The wine was delightful and he was accommodating to a family with a small child. We had bought some bottles at an earlier winery and he held them to ship to us along with the bottles that we bought from him--it was cheaper than sending two shipments separately and it was appreciated. The wine arrived a little later than expected because of a holdup getting one bottled labelled and when I emailed him he was quick to expedite the shipment with an apology. The wine will likely age some more here, so no big deal. Overall, really enjoyed ourselves. Great example of a small production winery run by one man start to finish.

Visited September 2012
San Francisco, California
6 attraction reviews
“Il Cocco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited Il Ccocco as part of Angie's wine tour. It was a great choice to stop here. The host was gracious and gave a great tour. The wine was excellent. If you have the opportunity don't miss this one.

Visited October 2012