“Breathtaking views of Tuscany from thermal pool of rebuilt medieval castle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castello di Velona Spa,Resort & Winery

You added Castello di Velona Spa,Resort & Winery to your Saves list
Castello di Velona Spa,Resort & Winery
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Localita Velona | Castelnuovo dell'Abate, 53024 Montalcino, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Montalcino
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bucharest, Romania
“Breathtaking views of Tuscany from thermal pool of rebuilt medieval castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I don't know where to start: with the friendliness of the staff, the amazing views from any room, the spectacular suites overlooking the glossy green hills of Tuscan vineyards, the fabulous massages in the spa, the wonderful warm water from both indoor and exterior pools coming directly from the thermal spring underneath the castle? I came here for a surprise wedding party of a friend (bride was overwhelmed and overjoyed) and I am definitely coming back here for a proper holiday. One thing only: if you want to visit all the lovely vineyards around here you have to be a good driver and enjoy super twisted meandering roads - my husband and I do. Montalcino and Montepulciano are less than an hour away so you can do lots of wine tasting, also ship wine directly to your home - they deliver anywhere in the world.
I recommend Castello di Velona for a luxury holiday in a serene and superb setting. Mind you, it's a pricey relaxation you are in for ;-)

• Stayed April 2013
CastellodiVelona, Direttore generale at Castello di Velona Spa,Resort & Winery, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear “balaura” what should we ask for more? Such an enthusiastic review to start this new year with!!! A real optimism infusion and a great support for all of us!
We have been so happy for hosting the event you have taken part to, an amazing surprise for the bride but also full of joy for everybody, including us! We are so looking forward to welcoming you again for your holiday and we thank you so much for the kind words and the positive feedback you kindly shared.
We all send you our best regards and we wait for you soon!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This review is only for their customer service. The hotel is very nice and beautifully situated (although difficult to find and a bit outside of Montalcino)- they just need to work on their customer service. While we were checking out, one of our luggage bags was damaged (a handle was broken, which rendered the expensive luggage totally useless and ultimately we were forced to dispose of the bag and buy a new one at our next destination). There was a dispute as to when the bag was damaged and by whom and ultimately the hotel refused to accept any responsibility. Correspondence back and forth with the manager was pointless and her responses (and rationale) contained changing stories and all bordered on rude. Surprised for someone in the hospitality industry to behave this way. Their solution was to offer me some form of accommodation on my next visit. When I explained that we were visiting for a special occasion and may not be back for some time (not everyone just picks up and goes to Tuscany each summer) the manager did not seem to care. This left a poor taste in my mouth- they seem to not care about you once you've left the facility.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CastellodiVelona, Direttore at Castello di Velona Spa,Resort & Winery, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Mr. B E
I wish to thank you for sharing your impressions on our services and guest assistance. It gives me the chance to try to clarify once again the reasons I have been trying to explain through private emails.

Before explaining the kind of response has been given from our side, I cannot avoid an early assumption that, might be also interpreted as a presumption. In fact, the assumption is the complete trust in my staff, even when they do something wrong. When everyone works, errors can be made, and they know that it is always better to tell the truth and try to find a solution instead of hide what has really happened.
Who works can make mistakes either when they handle items and instruments they use in their job (glasses can be broken…) or objects belonging to the guests. This is one of the reason each hotel has an insurance that covers both cases.
This is something all the staff knows perfectly, not because they are entitled to cause damages but simply because if it happens by accident they must declare it immediately in order to allow the hotel to manage the situation straight away, possibly while the guests are still present. This is one of the aspect of the guest assistance.

Going back to your departure, what we have been able to verify listening to the detailed report of the bellboy who assisted you with the luggage is that while he was trying to load all the pieces in your car trunk, he took a bang hanger and tried to load it sprayed above other pieces but he stopped as per your instructions. He actually left it on the trolley since you liked to take personally care of placing it in the trunk.

Therefore, I felt like I had no certain data to declare how, when and where exactly the damage occurred and make the declaration to the insurance company.

Nevertheless, I felt so sorry and sad for the unpleasant episode you have experienced and I thought you could have appreciated the offer of a very special treatment on a next stay.
I can perfectly understand that you do not travel to Tuscany every summer. But at the end, what I was offering is a value that might have been used for a personal purpose as well as a gift, to anyone you would have liked to.

I really hope you will comprehend my position and the reasons I have been trying to highlight. As I have always done, I remain at your complete disposal for all further explanation and I truly wish you will change your opinion regarding our customer service attitude.

I thank you for the very kind attention and I send my kindest regards,
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The pools and the spa were incredible. We ate lunch a few times in the pool bar and it was fine, nothing special. The room was spacious and comfortable. We were there in August and it was super hot, but the a/c in the room worked perfectly. The breakfast was very good (fresh fruits and yogurts, tons of baked goods, hot breakfast items, etc.) and the staff who served it were very kind. It's a bit outside of town, but it's true to its advertising, a resort on a hill with a focus on luxury and relaxation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CastellodiVelona, Direttore at Castello di Velona Spa,Resort & Winery, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Carla,
I very special thank you for the kind words and good comments you liked to share regarding your stay at the Castello on last August. I am really pleased you agree with what is advertised about the Castle, the resort is high on a hill and is a perfect place to stay to relax and enjoy good wines and food and massages!
I am pleased to read you have also enjoyed our staff assistance, we all thank you for this.
It would be fantastic to welcome you again at the Castello, maybe in a different month so that you will be able to enjoy the fantastic colors of the valley that change according to the season.
I thank you so much for the very nice comments and I send my very best regards.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I definitely could not expect more! It was exactly what I was looking for! After browsing and browsing through the top-luxury and non-top-luxury castles & medieval villages in the Montalcino area I picked Castello di Velona.

Not only it met my expectations, but it completely exceeded them! I will definitely go back! Hope soon because places like these are a must see in a life time! They don’t come cheap for sure but you will not regret it!

I was trying to stay away from traffic and crowds of tourists and I was also a little lucky to have vacation days in October, a perfect month for food lovers. It’s the end of the harvesting of the grapes and olives but the beginning of the mushrooms, truffles and game delicacies. No more rushing after the crowded August months and September busy months! The weather can be sometimes little tricky but I was lucky too and temperatures in Tuscany are not so cold usually in October.

When I picked Castello di Velona I was also considering Castiglion del Bosco and Castello Banfi, all beautiful properties, all very popular places also for the price tag but I expected them to be a little overpriced for my budget and also a little too touristic and fake may be. I chose Castello di Velona because I expected it to be a little more remote and quiet. I got so lucky as in fact that's how it was. A lot of privacy and all in a very authentic Tuscan style! The perfect place to relax after a full day on the roads, after visiting some of the most famous wine cellars and medieval villages like Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico d’Orcia, Bagno Vignoni.

After all day out it’s the place where you really want to go back at night and…you don’t want to leave in the mornings!

During my stay I was also considering to spend a few nights in the San Gimigniano and Siena (Chianti) area but Castello di Velona was too appealing for me not to stay there the extra nights and eventually take short daily rides by car to Siena, San Gimigniano, Cortona etc. That worked perfectly too.

I found Castello di Velona to be a very authentic Tuscan resort and the perfect mix of old or rural and contemporary architecture.

The Hotel consists of a main unite with towers where the more traditional and cheaper rooms are and a lower and newer area with the more expensive and larger rooms, surrounding the lower walls of the fortress, and communicating directly with the SPA and the Pools.

All views from any room are amazing. The newer rooms also offer an open garden deck with table and chairs if you would like to enjoy a nice glass of wine while enjoying the 180 degrees views of the Val d’Orcia valley, it’s vineyards and the Amiata Mountain.

All staff proved to be all very kind and professional and made my stay even more pleasant. From Guido at the reception to Ciro, Simona and all the other personnel that worked during my stay.

Breakfast is excellent and is served in a very cute room with fire place near the reception area in the main tower.

Dinner was excellent too and was served at a lower floor not far away from the pool area. I had dinner there just one night simply because I was looking for a more "old fashioned" traditional Tuscan cuisine but the quality of food and presentation and service was amazing.

Another point in favor of Castello di Velona is that it’s near some of the best Montalcino wine producers like Biondi-Santi and Fanti are right there on the road to Montalcino downtown, and Argiano and Banfi and others are a few miles away.

The beautiful San Antimo Abbey is 2 miles away to, between Castello di Velona and Montalcino. They have a daily mass with Gregorian Chants for an unique experience and good start of you day.

A few tips for a better stay:

Rent a small car, you move better, and make sure you always have gas as sometimes at night there are no gas stations open.

Get a navigation.

Castello di Velona is in a town called Castelnuovo dell’Abate. Castelnuovo dell’Abate is easy to reach from Montalcino. You can’t miss the castle but you can miss the entrance to it!... as there are no big signs indicating it. When you get in Castelnuovo from Montalcino on route SP55 make a left and follow the signs to Monte Amiata. The entrance is may be 1 mile down on the right and on a left bend, you will see a brick or stone wall with an iron gate(at night illuminated by some COOL but low lights)! It almost looks like a privare residence entrance, that’s why you may miss it ! (I missed it!)!

Many cellars offer tours but you need to book in advance.

MALEDETTI TOSCANI!

I will never forget swimming in the pools of Castello di Velona with the sunset over those vineyards! OMG!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Marco,
You cannot imagine how happy we all are reading your impressions about the stay at the Castello! We managed to exceed your expectations and this is the real success for us!
Sometimes the isolated location where the Castle stands can be considered as a negative element but I am glad you can confirm it is mainly a positive side for this means to be in a quiet, private, relaxing place and where you can come back at night after sightseeing and a full day on the road! As you outlined we are also surrounded by the best Brunello wines producers so that the agenda of tastings and winery visits we can suggest for our guests is simply…divine!
I am really glad you have enjoyed our services and the staff assistance.
I also thank you for the useful tips you kindly shared on how to reach the Castle!
Cannot wait to welcome you again to surprise you once more and let you live another special experience on top of our amazing hill!
With our very best regards,
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We first saw Castello di Velona in what photographers call the "golden hour" when the setting sun gives near perfect light. It was a vision of beauty high on a hill with the setting sun lending a golden hue to the cream coloured marble. It was gorgeous. The front entrance and reception enhanced the illusion.

It was a bit of a labrynth to get to the room located in the relatively new 19 room annex and then to find your around. The room was huge by European standards and the well lit bathroom clearly reflects North American tastes. It is all done in Italian marble. The kingsize bed is a little low to the floor for my taste. Garden doors lead to chairs overlooking the valley which was cloaked in low mist early in the mornings. Free WiFi reception does not work in the room for our Tab. It would only work in an area directly adjacent to the office. Others in our party had no trouble with their laptops.

We stayed for four days so we were able to get a good sense of the property. We were surprised to get a maid asking if we wanted more towels every night. However, when we showered in the morning, it became obvious. The shower does not drain and overflows the small lip and floods the floor. The caverous bath takes an even longer time to drain. We think they have plumbing problems. Whether this is new or dates back to construction is a moot point.

The small restaurant immediately across from reception is self-serve for breakfast and is very good. Service for coffee and table clearing is quick and efficient. We think it is open for lunch but we were never there at that time. The main restaurant opens about 8:00 pm and will be covered under a separate review. A short preview, in light of the other restaurants we visited, this was not the best example of Italian haute cuisine.

There are operational problems that irked a lot of people in our party. For example, we arrived back from a day's activities and planned to go to the bar. It was 4:30 and the bar hours show it is open to 6:30 "subject to management". Well the bar was closed at 4:45.

Every other hotel we stayed at in Italy had free bottled water which was continuously replaced. Not so at Castello di Velona. I think in the room, the small bottled water was 2 Euros and the larger one from room service was 6 Euros. Room service was good but 25 Euros for a club sandwich ( with sliced hard boiled egg???) was a tad steep. But then consider a bowl of soup in the restaurant was 20 Euros.

Once at Castello di Velona, you are stuck unless you have a car. Even then it is a drive down winding country roads to Montalcino. In short, this beautiful marble edifice is a stunning jail with expensive and comparatively mediocre food.

The pool and spa were wonderful. They are a hedonistic delight.

This hotel is ideally suited for young lovers, couples getting some alone time away from children and those seeking to relax away from the pressures of everyday life. If you fit in to these groups, then this is a must visit location.

Its not the best place to use as a base for exploration and sight seeing. Given the stairs and other obstructions, we would judge that it is not the best place for handicapped people either.

Room Tip: The plumbing problems are in the annex. Try to get a room in one of 49 castle rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
I wish to thank you for the review you have kindly shared and the detailed comments regarding your stay at the Castello.
I am really glad you enjoyed the facilities, the pools, the SPA and you also enjoyed the breakfast in the morning but I would have been even more pleased to read the same positive feedback regarding the other services and the overall experience at the Castello. Feeling like in a jail is not the impression we strive to give to our guests.
It is true that the Castello is quite isolated as the description on our web site mentions also. It is on top of a hill, surrounded by vineyards, 11 km far from Montalcino. We cannot deny the best way to reach us and to enjoy this area of Tuscany (as all Tuscany I would say) is by car, for sure.
I have to apologize also for the plumbing problems you experiences in your bathroom. We are working to debug these little inefficiency details still left from the recent renovation works.
We will concentrate on improving our bar and room service in order to cancel the negative perception you had of a unworthy service and offer. I hope you will decide to give us a second chance and be back soon to try a Club Sandwich again!
We are actually quite happy we managed to install a wi-fi connection in the entire wide property, pool terraces include. Inside the old part of the Castle, as per the kind of structure the building itself has (very thick walls) there are few areas where the signal might be whicker but it should be fine in the new wing. We will double check on this detail also.
I really hope there will be a chance of welcoming you again soon at the Castello, we promise we will meet your expectations and go even beyond them so that all glitters will be gold!
I thank you for the kind interest in our property and I send my very best regards
tommy rasmussen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

we stayed here 10 days in july - amazing place - great friendly staff - quite place - fantastic spa - can not wait to come back.
The nearby town Montalcino is cozy with lots of great restaurant and wine shops

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Rasmussen,
We cannot wait to welcome you all again! During your long stay we have felt a part of a big family and we are really pleased you have appreciated our friendly assistance.
Again, we are all willing to welcome you really soon and we thank you for sharing your positive feedback on your stay.
With our very best regards,
Lighthouse Point, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent three weeks in Italy last year and stumbled upon this hotel while driving around Tuscany. This year we went back and stayed there three days. This castle is visible from a distance, as it sits on top of a hill overlooking the countryside. As beautiful as it is during the daytime, at night when it is lit up, well, as one person already said, it is "jaw dropping".
The interior of the castle, and the rooms, are simple, and very unlike the "old world" decor that we had grown used to in the other hotels where we stayed in Venice, sorrento, lake como, and Perugia. The bedrooms are large and well appointed,(we stayed in the newer lower section which is on the ground floor). One plus or minus, depending on you, is that some of the rooms have a large window in the bedroom which looks directly into the shower/bath area.
The hotel staff is excellent and very friendly. They could not do enough.
The pool, both indoor and out, was gorgeous.
We ate dinner in the dining room and the food, we all agreed was excellent. (We did ask the front desk staff to show us a menu and we were perplexed when we were presented a different and more expensive menu in the dining room).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ms. Kelly R.,
I wish to thank you for the very nice comments you decided to share about your stay at the Castello di Velona. I am really glad you enjoyed our food and our facilities but I am also sorry for the inconvenience regarding the dinner menu versions misunderstanding.
As you have described in your feedback the new rooms are quite different from the “old world” décor you are used to find in other hotels but we are glad you liked them, even if they can appear quite bizarre in few design detail!
I am so glad you have appreciated our assistance and the constant availability of all of us.
We would be really happy to welcome you again soon, we look forward to welcoming you in the new year!
I thank you again for the kind support and I send my best regards
Hotel Manager

Been to Castello di Velona Spa,Resort & Winery? Share your experiences!