“I'm impressed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castello di Velona

Save Saved
You added Castello di Velona to your Saves list
Castello di Velona
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Localita Velona | Castelnuovo dell'Abate, 53024 Montalcino, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Montalcino
New York City, New York
“I'm impressed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I definitely could not expect more! It was exactly what I was looking for! After browsing and browsing through the top-luxury and non-top-luxury castles & medieval villages in the Montalcino area I picked Castello di Velona.

Not only it met my expectations, but it completely exceeded them! I will definitely go back! Hope soon because places like these are a must see in a life time! They don’t come cheap for sure but you will not regret it!

I was trying to stay away from traffic and crowds of tourists and I was also a little lucky to have vacation days in October, a perfect month for food lovers. It’s the end of the harvesting of the grapes and olives but the beginning of the mushrooms, truffles and game delicacies. No more rushing after the crowded August months and September busy months! The weather can be sometimes little tricky but I was lucky too and temperatures in Tuscany are not so cold usually in October.

When I picked Castello di Velona I was also considering Castiglion del Bosco and Castello Banfi, all beautiful properties, all very popular places also for the price tag but I expected them to be a little overpriced for my budget and also a little too touristic and fake may be. I chose Castello di Velona because I expected it to be a little more remote and quiet. I got so lucky as in fact that's how it was. A lot of privacy and all in a very authentic Tuscan style! The perfect place to relax after a full day on the roads, after visiting some of the most famous wine cellars and medieval villages like Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico d’Orcia, Bagno Vignoni.

After all day out it’s the place where you really want to go back at night and…you don’t want to leave in the mornings!

During my stay I was also considering to spend a few nights in the San Gimigniano and Siena (Chianti) area but Castello di Velona was too appealing for me not to stay there the extra nights and eventually take short daily rides by car to Siena, San Gimigniano, Cortona etc. That worked perfectly too.

I found Castello di Velona to be a very authentic Tuscan resort and the perfect mix of old or rural and contemporary architecture.

The Hotel consists of a main unite with towers where the more traditional and cheaper rooms are and a lower and newer area with the more expensive and larger rooms, surrounding the lower walls of the fortress, and communicating directly with the SPA and the Pools.

All views from any room are amazing. The newer rooms also offer an open garden deck with table and chairs if you would like to enjoy a nice glass of wine while enjoying the 180 degrees views of the Val d’Orcia valley, it’s vineyards and the Amiata Mountain.

All staff proved to be all very kind and professional and made my stay even more pleasant. From Guido at the reception to Ciro, Simona and all the other personnel that worked during my stay.

Breakfast is excellent and is served in a very cute room with fire place near the reception area in the main tower.

Dinner was excellent too and was served at a lower floor not far away from the pool area. I had dinner there just one night simply because I was looking for a more "old fashioned" traditional Tuscan cuisine but the quality of food and presentation and service was amazing.

Another point in favor of Castello di Velona is that it’s near some of the best Montalcino wine producers like Biondi-Santi and Fanti are right there on the road to Montalcino downtown, and Argiano and Banfi and others are a few miles away.

The beautiful San Antimo Abbey is 2 miles away to, between Castello di Velona and Montalcino. They have a daily mass with Gregorian Chants for an unique experience and good start of you day.

A few tips for a better stay:

Rent a small car, you move better, and make sure you always have gas as sometimes at night there are no gas stations open.

Get a navigation.

Castello di Velona is in a town called Castelnuovo dell’Abate. Castelnuovo dell’Abate is easy to reach from Montalcino. You can’t miss the castle but you can miss the entrance to it!... as there are no big signs indicating it. When you get in Castelnuovo from Montalcino on route SP55 make a left and follow the signs to Monte Amiata. The entrance is may be 1 mile down on the right and on a left bend, you will see a brick or stone wall with an iron gate(at night illuminated by some COOL but low lights)! It almost looks like a privare residence entrance, that’s why you may miss it ! (I missed it!)!

Many cellars offer tours but you need to book in advance.

MALEDETTI TOSCANI!

I will never forget swimming in the pools of Castello di Velona with the sunset over those vineyards! OMG!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CastellodiVelona, Direttore at Castello di Velona, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Marco,
You cannot imagine how happy we all are reading your impressions about the stay at the Castello! We managed to exceed your expectations and this is the real success for us!
Sometimes the isolated location where the Castle stands can be considered as a negative element but I am glad you can confirm it is mainly a positive side for this means to be in a quiet, private, relaxing place and where you can come back at night after sightseeing and a full day on the road! As you outlined we are also surrounded by the best Brunello wines producers so that the agenda of tastings and winery visits we can suggest for our guests is simply…divine!
I am really glad you have enjoyed our services and the staff assistance.
I also thank you for the useful tips you kindly shared on how to reach the Castle!
Cannot wait to welcome you again to surprise you once more and let you live another special experience on top of our amazing hill!
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We first saw Castello di Velona in what photographers call the "golden hour" when the setting sun gives near perfect light. It was a vision of beauty high on a hill with the setting sun lending a golden hue to the cream coloured marble. It was gorgeous. The front entrance and reception enhanced the illusion.

It was a bit of a labrynth to get to the room located in the relatively new 19 room annex and then to find your around. The room was huge by European standards and the well lit bathroom clearly reflects North American tastes. It is all done in Italian marble. The kingsize bed is a little low to the floor for my taste. Garden doors lead to chairs overlooking the valley which was cloaked in low mist early in the mornings. Free WiFi reception does not work in the room for our Tab. It would only work in an area directly adjacent to the office. Others in our party had no trouble with their laptops.

We stayed for four days so we were able to get a good sense of the property. We were surprised to get a maid asking if we wanted more towels every night. However, when we showered in the morning, it became obvious. The shower does not drain and overflows the small lip and floods the floor. The caverous bath takes an even longer time to drain. We think they have plumbing problems. Whether this is new or dates back to construction is a moot point.

The small restaurant immediately across from reception is self-serve for breakfast and is very good. Service for coffee and table clearing is quick and efficient. We think it is open for lunch but we were never there at that time. The main restaurant opens about 8:00 pm and will be covered under a separate review. A short preview, in light of the other restaurants we visited, this was not the best example of Italian haute cuisine.

There are operational problems that irked a lot of people in our party. For example, we arrived back from a day's activities and planned to go to the bar. It was 4:30 and the bar hours show it is open to 6:30 "subject to management". Well the bar was closed at 4:45.

Every other hotel we stayed at in Italy had free bottled water which was continuously replaced. Not so at Castello di Velona. I think in the room, the small bottled water was 2 Euros and the larger one from room service was 6 Euros. Room service was good but 25 Euros for a club sandwich ( with sliced hard boiled egg???) was a tad steep. But then consider a bowl of soup in the restaurant was 20 Euros.

Once at Castello di Velona, you are stuck unless you have a car. Even then it is a drive down winding country roads to Montalcino. In short, this beautiful marble edifice is a stunning jail with expensive and comparatively mediocre food.

The pool and spa were wonderful. They are a hedonistic delight.

This hotel is ideally suited for young lovers, couples getting some alone time away from children and those seeking to relax away from the pressures of everyday life. If you fit in to these groups, then this is a must visit location.

Its not the best place to use as a base for exploration and sight seeing. Given the stairs and other obstructions, we would judge that it is not the best place for handicapped people either.

Room Tip: The plumbing problems are in the annex. Try to get a room in one of 49 castle rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
I wish to thank you for the review you have kindly shared and the detailed comments regarding your stay at the Castello.
I am really glad you enjoyed the facilities, the pools, the SPA and you also enjoyed the breakfast in the morning but I would have been even more pleased to read the same positive feedback regarding the other services and the overall experience at the Castello. Feeling like in a jail is not the impression we strive to give to our guests.
It is true that the Castello is quite isolated as the description on our web site mentions also. It is on top of a hill, surrounded by vineyards, 11 km far from Montalcino. We cannot deny the best way to reach us and to enjoy this area of Tuscany (as all Tuscany I would say) is by car, for sure.
I have to apologize also for the plumbing problems you experiences in your bathroom. We are working to debug these little inefficiency details still left from the recent renovation works.
We will concentrate on improving our bar and room service in order to cancel the negative perception you had of a unworthy service and offer. I hope you will decide to give us a second chance and be back soon to try a Club Sandwich again!
We are actually quite happy we managed to install a wi-fi connection in the entire wide property, pool terraces include. Inside the old part of the Castle, as per the kind of structure the building itself has (very thick walls) there are few areas where the signal might be whicker but it should be fine in the new wing. We will double check on this detail also.
I really hope there will be a chance of welcoming you again soon at the Castello, we promise we will meet your expectations and go even beyond them so that all glitters will be gold!
I thank you for the kind interest in our property and I send my very best regards
tommy rasmussen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

we stayed here 10 days in july - amazing place - great friendly staff - quite place - fantastic spa - can not wait to come back.
The nearby town Montalcino is cozy with lots of great restaurant and wine shops

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Rasmussen,
We cannot wait to welcome you all again! During your long stay we have felt a part of a big family and we are really pleased you have appreciated our friendly assistance.
Again, we are all willing to welcome you really soon and we thank you for sharing your positive feedback on your stay.
Lighthouse Point, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent three weeks in Italy last year and stumbled upon this hotel while driving around Tuscany. This year we went back and stayed there three days. This castle is visible from a distance, as it sits on top of a hill overlooking the countryside. As beautiful as it is during the daytime, at night when it is lit up, well, as one person already said, it is "jaw dropping".
The interior of the castle, and the rooms, are simple, and very unlike the "old world" decor that we had grown used to in the other hotels where we stayed in Venice, sorrento, lake como, and Perugia. The bedrooms are large and well appointed,(we stayed in the newer lower section which is on the ground floor). One plus or minus, depending on you, is that some of the rooms have a large window in the bedroom which looks directly into the shower/bath area.
The hotel staff is excellent and very friendly. They could not do enough.
The pool, both indoor and out, was gorgeous.
We ate dinner in the dining room and the food, we all agreed was excellent. (We did ask the front desk staff to show us a menu and we were perplexed when we were presented a different and more expensive menu in the dining room).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ms. Kelly R.,
I wish to thank you for the very nice comments you decided to share about your stay at the Castello di Velona. I am really glad you enjoyed our food and our facilities but I am also sorry for the inconvenience regarding the dinner menu versions misunderstanding.
As you have described in your feedback the new rooms are quite different from the “old world” décor you are used to find in other hotels but we are glad you liked them, even if they can appear quite bizarre in few design detail!
I am so glad you have appreciated our assistance and the constant availability of all of us.
We would be really happy to welcome you again soon, we look forward to welcoming you in the new year!
I thank you again for the kind support and I send my best regards
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had a lovely stay at Castello di Velona. The staff was friendly and very helpful before and during our stay, emailing us wineries prior to arrival for planning and making reservations for us as well as, offering advice while we were there. The views are spectacular, it was one of 3 original lookout towers in the area and you get a great 360 degree view. The rooms (we stayed in the newer part) were very, very nice, large, quiet and modern, we even had a little "backyard" looking over a valley. The castle itself is beautiful and an interesting mix of history/old and modern, the amenities are great. It's a short drive into Montalcino and to a wealth of good wineries. We can't stay enough good things about this place, it was our favorite stop on the trip - we didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: We stayed in the new part of the castle and had a lovely modern room with a fantastic little "b...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CastellodiVelona, Direttore at Castello di Velona, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Trinity,
It is not nice to say but we are happy to learn you were said to leave….this means you will be back soon!
Let me say that you have been so kind in sharing your feedback regarding the stay at the Castello. I am really glad you have appreciated our assistance from time of booking and during your stay.
I think the mixture of old and modern you can experience now at the Castello, after the 3 years of renovations, increases the spell this special location is able to create.
I cannot thank you enough for your mice and kind words and we all look forward to welcoming you soon again.
Orinda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

With jaw dropping views this castle was our favorite stay in Tuscany. The floors and walls are covered in Tavertine. The addition of the spa rooms three years ago has made this place a 5 star resort with infinity pools and numerous spa treatments and steam and saunas. The restaurant is a bit austere but the service is friendly and warm, and the food is good. The receptionist was helpful in every detail. Our junior spa suite was gorgeous with comfortable king size beds. We enjoyed the sunsets sipping our brunelo wine.
For a break of visiting the old towns head up to mt Amiata which has beautiful forests with hiking trails.

Room Tip: Get a room with sunset views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear nricks,
What an amazing review of your stay with us at the Castello di Velona, I thank you so much for it!
I am really glad to learn that you have enjoyed the facilities, your SPA Junior Suite and the view from the patio outside, the food and the assistance we have been able to give you during your stay.
We all look forward to welcoming you soon again and we hope we will be able to surprise you again and more!
With my very best regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We spent an amazing day at this hilltop historic hotel with great updated interiors and an amazing pool/spa area. The food was a bit "Americanized," but overall top quality. The views in each direction of some amazing winery fields and neighboring villages. We would eagerly return to this hotel. Relaxing, classy and worth the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a good view, balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Chet,
I wish to thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Castello. The positive impressions you had are an important instrument in order to evaluate and estimate our job.
Further to the food I can confirm you that together with the Chef we always pay a great attention in the choice of the courses that compose the restaurant offer but we will make our best to stress the local Tuscan accent even more.
I will be really pleased to welcome you again at the Castello and I thank you once more for your words.
With my very best regards,
Hotel Manager

Been to Castello di Velona? Share your experiences!