“Hardest working waiter in Italy” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 61 Restaurants in Montalcino
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Hardest working waiter in Italy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

Food was great and service was outstanding. The lone waiter worked his but off. Our food was great and the wine was excellent.

• Visited October 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“il Conto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

On 26 August 2014 I rode my rented Vespa from Montepulciano to Sant' Antimo Abbey to hear the monk's chant. I had attempted to visit the Abbey on 2 previous visits to Italy but didn't make it. This time I did but arrived just as the 12.45pm prayers were ending.
So I rode back up the hill to the village and decided to have lunch at Locanda. I was seated in the shade outdoors next to a large group of Canadian cyclists who were, by all the chat, having a great day. I ordered tagliatelle al cinghiale, a pasta dish I place high on my 'favorites' list' and 1 litre of acqua frizzante. The pasta was excellent, the frizzante refreshing, the ambiance very enjoyable and the service by a young male, with better than basic English skills, was first class.

I asked for il conto and waited, and waited, and waited, asked the young male twice again for it and it still did not arrive. I gave up and walked inside where a large male (let's call him il proprietario) behind the reception desk was having a loud,animated conversation involving a great deal of hand waving, with a female customer. As far as I could make out, she was attempting to pay with a credit card that was not accepted at this establishment. Again I waited as il proprietario took no notice me. After about 5 minutes the young male approached the reception desk so I told him I wanted to pay but was being ignored. He spoke to il proprietario then asked me for 10 euro, that was 3 euro less than my bill. I thanked him for his assistance, told him my meal and his service were both very good but the service from him, pointing at il proprietario, was very bad. There was still no acknowledgement or words from il proprietario to me so I left.

Most of my restaurant experiences in Italy on this and previous visits had been great but I had experienced this il conto problem in Rome earlier in the month. How do people who carry on like this, which I consider it very rude, stay in business. They don't receive repeat custom from me.

I have rated this review very good as everything except il conto was very good. A pity there is no place to rate the actions of il proprietario as this could only be terrible.

The monks provided a metaphysical experience for me at 2.45pm and should not be missed. You do not have to be religious to be awe-inspired.

John Mead
New Zealand

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cumberland, Rhode Island
“Happy Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This restaurant was a great surprise for my wife and me. We had been biking most of the day when we decided to stop at the Locanda Sant'Antimo. The people at the restaurant could not have been more accommodating and welcoming to two tired and sweaty cyclists who did not speak much Italian. For most of our vacation we had been eating at restaurants geared towards tourists. It was nice to get a more authentic Italian experience.

The food was outstanding! My wife ordered a fish dish that was fresh and delicious. My pasta was tasty and homemade. Sitting in the courtyard in the shade was a pleasant experience and the service was excellent.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St. Jean Cap Ferrat
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were booked here during a hiking vacation through Tuscany. While the rooms were clean, they were right out of the 1950s. The owners behaviour varied between sheer rudeness and indifference. Also, the owners were constantly bickering with each other and the atmosphere was not pleasant. I felt sorry for the children who were helping serve us in such an atomosphere. The food was very basic. We were glad to leave in the morning, having had the impression of staying in a pressure cooker which could blow any moment. The only friendly entity here was the family dog 'Wally'. Perhaps he should be put in charge?

• Visited July 2013