“SUPERB DECISION” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 59 Restaurants in Montalcino
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Friendly local in Montalcino a few steps from the central square. Tuscan cuisine with homemade pasta and grilled meat of choice. Pizza for lunch and dinner.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“SUPERB DECISION”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

There is an excellent choice of restaurants in Montalcino,which makes choosing difficult,what appealed was wide choice of dishes,reasonable prices and we noticed it was busy at lunch

What a great decision,food was excellent,my choice of Wild Boar |Stew and polenta was excellent,we drank the house red wine and it was superb

Staff were very friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed,although the restaurant was full service was excellent

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

California
“What a let down. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went here for dinner and was terribly disappointed. Ordered two starters, and a large beer. Got a SMALL beer, drank it, our secondi plates came but the starters never arrived. Got the bill and was charged for a large beer and had to correct it. A mess. I felt as if they wanted to seat some locals waiting for our table of three. This place has great reviews historically, but there were to many routine mistakes for me. By the way, no one ever apologized for forgetting to serve the entire first half of our meal. I will find a different place to spend my euros.
Ciao.

New York City, New York
“Must try restaurant in Montalcino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Although we stumbled onto Il Grifo by accident, it ended up being one of the most memorable meals on our entire trip to Italy. It is a traditional Italian trattoria that served simple and classic dishes. The pasta was fresh and truly outstanding, especially the local pinci pasta. The pizza with fresh buffalo mozzarella was also delicious. And prices were incredibly reasonable. Though the restaurant does not have many views of the incredible Tuscan backdrop behind it, the food was exceptional. Read more about our recommendations in Tuscany on our blog, http://chezcateylou.com/2013/08/09/tuscany-montalcino-and-montepulciano/

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Fresh, Local Ingredients Make For A Tasty Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Il Grifo was one of my favorite places I dined in all of Italy. While spending a few days in beautiful Montalcino, the owner at our B&B recommended this place for their delicious pizza. Let me tell you, she didn't steer us in the wrong direction! The pizza here was amazing. I ordered the fresh buffalo mozzarella pie and it was insanely delicious (see my photos, the thing was loaded with fresh cheese, basil and tomatoes). The cheese on the pizza was served slightly chilled which was unexpected but delightful to my taste buds! My husband ordered the local specialty, a giant t-bone steak. The steak in Tuscany is served very rare with salt, pepper and olive oil. That's it. Why? Because the meat is so tasty it doesn't need anything else! We also shared an appetizer portion of housemade fresh spinach and ricotta ravioli with a light butter sauce, the daily special, and it was very fresh, simple and good. Friendly, unhurried service and a comfortable atmosphere. Try this place, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Borås, Sweden
“Superb restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Among the best food I've had in Italy! Really rustic well made Tuscan food, very nice staff, superb service and good value for money. Lots of locals! Hope I can return one day!

Visited August 2013