“the best yet.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riviera

You added Hotel Riviera to your Saves list
Hotel Riviera
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Statale Regina, 43, 22011 Cadenabbia di Griante, Italy   |
Otley, United Kingdom
“the best yet.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

of many trips to Italy this has to be one of the best. The Riviera is a small, family run hotel right on the the lakeside> There is a restaurant attached, used by locals, always a good sign and visitors alike. The ferry boat station is about five minutes walk away and the bus stop just outside. There is excellent access to mnany parts of the Lake. This is not a flashy, modern, marble and steel place, but has rooms with individual style and lovely views over the lake and this is something we prefer.There is something for everyone along the lake and within 10days of returning home from this one week long visit, we had booked for 2011 and will be staying for two weeks. The anticipation of this will keep us going throughout the winter. I promise you will. not be disappointed if you visit..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

This hotel over looks Bellagio, you will be blown away when you open your shutters and look out on the lake.The noise is worth the view.
The staff at this hotel are the most helpful and hospitable out of all the places we have stayed.
This hotel does not have a/c so it there in the summer you have to keep the window open and the road next to the hotel is noisy ...
The restaurant/ in the hotel is excellant .
Near the ferry stop and bus stop.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Riviera toward the end of June, my last stop in Italy, and it was the perfect place to end my vacation. The room I stayed in was very comfortable and spacious and extremely clean. And it had a wonderful view of the lake looking out across to Bellagio. There is also an elevator, a welcome sight after lugging a pack up and down more stairs than I care to remember. There is also free WiFi available. The breakfast is a very nice continental with more choices than most of the other places that I stayed at (cereal, meat and cheese, fruit, breads, juice, and choice of coffee). The restaurant attached to the hotel serves a lovely pizza too.

The location was perfect especially since I didn't have a car. It's right on the main street next to the lake, very easy to locate. The bus stop is directly across the street and the ferry to all of the other towns is just a few meters down the street. There is a parking area for those that do have a car.

The best part of the hotel is the owners that run it. It's family owned and operated with the most friendly people there to greet you and make your stay the best it can be. Andrea was working when I arrived and he met me at the door, checked me in, and carried my pack to my room. He was full of helpful information making sure I knew about all the best places to visit, available activities, and good restaurants. He's a great conversationalist too. We (other guests included) had a wonderful time sitting in the hotel bar talking about anything and everything over one of his special concoctions. He also speaks at least 5 languages fluently so communication is no problem at all. My last night there, I wanted to dine at Ristorante La Darsena, about a mile down the road. Since I didn't have a reservation, Andrea called to see if they had room for me and when they said I had to be there immediately, he didn't hesitate. He grabbed his keys and drove me to the restaurant! The service was amazing before that, but wow! I really enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it to both friends and family. I'll definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

The hotel is located opposite to Lake Como. The view from my room is spectular facing Lake Como which is some 30 metres from the room. The bus stop to / from Como town is adjacent / opposite to the hotel. It is clean and it provides basic facilities one needs. What is impressive is the service and advice provided by the keeper, an Italian lady called Sylvia. She is helpful and she gave useful advice in English.

I would like to spend at least 3 nights to visiti the vicinity of Lake Como but, owing to my trip arrangement with other friends, I could only spend one night there. It's a 13-hour flight from HK to MXP airport, then a few hours travel from the airport - Sarrano - Como town - Cadenabbia. As I could not sleep on board the flight, I was already exhausted when I got there by bus in the afternoon. It was a sunny day and the view of the lake is so stunning. Coupled with the tight schedule, I just couldn't wait and went out again after dropping the luggage. I talked to Sylvia for a while and she gave some useful advice as to my itinerary. She was so nice that she asked her friend to give me a lift to Como town (which is an hour by bus from the hotel plus the waiting time).

I visited the Como town and Brunate, had a simple dinner and returned to the hotel at around 2030 hours. Had I not been so exhausted, I could have strolled along the road opposite to the hotel along the lake. I had not slept for some 42 hours when I went to bed at around 2200 hours. The noise of the vehicles may be an issue for light sleepers but I slept like a baby for 10 hours. When I woke up the morning, I could see sunrise from behind the mountain... the lake glittering, the air fresh... and I was fully recharged.

The location of the hotel, the stunning view, the peaceful surrounding area, the most important - the hospitality and useful advice from Sylvia... just for Euro 48 per night... what can I ask for?

On the right hand side of the hotel there is a small grocery on the small street leading uphill to people's houses - a bottle of 1.5 liter water at Euro 0.67 vs a bottle of 0.5 liter water at Euro 3.5 on the mountain top of Brunate.... snacks and fruit also available there.

As I have to take the train from Milan to Verona the following morning, I talked to Sylvia about my plan and she gave me very useful advice - instead of leaving my luggage at the hotel, Sylvia advised that I took my suitcase (25 kg), took the ferry to Bellagio (the pier is some 30 meters opposite to the hotel), find a coffee bar next to the pier to have a drink and to admire the beautiful view from Bellagio (which is just opposite to the hotel), then requested to leave the suitcase there, then I can visit Bellagio luggage free for a few hours. I did it and did the same in Varenna where I caught the train to Milan and then Verona. It's a very good idea.

I will stay in this hotel again if I have the chance to visit Lake Como later.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
collingwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Hotel Riviera is a family run place with big, bright and clean rooms. Ours was water facing, just a stones throw from Lake Como and looking out towards Bellagio.
Our stay would have cost at least double if we had stayed in Bellagio so instead we took the nearby ferry for a day trip in the surrounding towns.
The bus is also nearby with about an hour to Milan.
The included breakfast was great.
Only downside is that the street below can be noisy at night but that's what you get staying so close to the water.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hessen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Cadenabbia is a charming spot with ferry connection to Bellagio and located close to Menaggio. It's an ideal place for those who like hiking, but you can easily get around all over the lake from there as well.
The view from Hotel Riviera is just wonderful. The Service is very nice and the meals are tasty. The rooms are very clean and convenient. Reasonable prices. Would come back at any time.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
torino
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

We've just returned from a short break on Lake Como, staying in Hotel "Riviera" in the lakeside village of Cadenabbia (famous for being Konrad Adenaur's retreat). You cannot better the location: it is facing the lake with a free car parking, 1 minute walk from the car ferry , and 10-15 minutes walk from Villa Carlotta with its splendid Botanic garden. Just across the road is the swimming pool/lido belonging to the neighbouring hotel "Grand Britannia" but open to everybody on the payment of 5 Euros, so bring your swimsuit! Please do not expect any grandeur from the rooms; it is a regular small 3 star hotel. But if you are planning to explore the lake and thus not spending too much time in the room, you will appreciate great value for money and the convenience of this homely hotel.
The manager was very kind and showed us couple of rooms to choose from; we decided on the one with the sea view and were delighted with it. The weather was balmy but not too hot so we did not suffer from the lack of air-conditioning. And the double-glazed window was sufficient to eliminate any traffic noise; we slept very well. The manager spoke perfect English and took a personal interest in all his guests and gave any info or advice necessary. Breakfast was above our expectations, with fresh fruit, cereals, ham and cheese, croissants, juice, coffee and tea.
In the evening we went for drinks to the "lido" across the road and were entertained by the extrovert barman Mark who collects music from around the globe and who gave us delicious and very refreshing sparkling white wine on tap for 2€ for a glass. We returned to the Riviera hotel's restaurant which is popular with locals and tourists alike for a very nice meal of antipasti, trout and ossobucco. We believe their pizzas are very special, they looked fantastic, so don't miss on it.
We bought a day ferry pass for the middle section of the lake which costs 11 Euros and offers unlimited travel between Cadenabbia, Bellagio and Varenna. These towns are all very different in character: Bellagio very smart and touristy, with plenty of shops, Varenna very elegant and quiet; and it was great to wonder around, but it was also nice to go back to our base at our homely "Riviera".
The scenery at Como is out of this world and must be seen to be believed.
We had a fantastic break and would definitely recommend this hotel for the value and convenience

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riviera? Share your experiences!