“Single travellers, beware of the bait and switch. Hope it does not happen to anyone else.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riviera

You added Hotel Riviera to your Saves list
Hotel Riviera
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Statale Regina, 43, 22011 Cadenabbia di Griante, Italy   |
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

So you have booked your room at Hotel Riviera way back in February, and are paying for a single room. Upon arrival for a two night stay in June 2012, I was very much dismayed to hear that there was "a problem" in my room and it would be available the second night. I have to say things sounded even more ominous when the female Manager said she booked a suite in the hotel next door. (hotel Brittania looks nice on the outside, and this is definitely not a hotel you should judge from the outside. ... I was surprised she "did not know" what suite that they were giving me) So when I found the room, the smallest I have ever seen, the size of a postage stamp, make that the size of a washroom at other hotels, I was furious.) When I had an electrical shock travel through my body in this Hotel Brittania closet size room, & I was literaly shocked. I went to the desk at Riviera to inform them, the "she" manager asked "well is it at least clean.... I should have laughed out loud. Irrespective there was not another room available in Riviera, and she had not even had me penciled in for the second nite. She said she would have a private room available for me. Hmmm .. private room, when I went back to the desk and asked if it could be seen ... the mangers brother showed me the room that he was occupying. At this point he did not know the switch history. it would appear that he would have to vacate one of the guest rooms that was used privately .. by him. I was at least glad to see that it was in fair condition ... and no there was no plumbing problem with it as the female manager had inferred.

So my final analysis of the Riviera, based on the guest room that the brother was staying in, (gosh you would not want to inconvenience a paying customer ... ha ha ha) when I finally did have it on the second day and night is as follows .. it was the bare essentials, a regular bed with a lavender simple bed spread & the bathroom was larger than the room I had for a nite at Hotel Brittania. ... Yes it was on the main drag, so you could hear lots of traffic through the night.

It would have been a suitable room for two nights, and seemed to be available ... he said it had no plumbing problem, so why didn't they give me the room when I arrived... If I had not been assertive, I am sure they would have had me staying next door for a second night.

Shame on the Managers for playing this game. (I suppose they would have gotten away with it, had I actually been a true single traveller ... when I saw the room that my friends got with a balcony over the main road ... beautiful view, average room, I was quite upset with the Management at this Hotel.

BEWARE of BAIT AND SWITCH.

The breakfast was extremely simple ... absolutely nothing special. Supper was at another restaurant down the road ... forgotten the name, sorry)

Room Tip: sorry I forget the room number that my friends had ... but even it was very noisy through the night...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Decided to take a break from AI at next door Hotel and try this one for evening meal as reviews seemed very positive. Seated next to bush and scooter park on road side. Fumes and traffic .. ugh!! Service and position probably better in dining area across road. Pizza average, wine moderate, service non discript ... wish we hadn't bothered.

Room Tip: Catch the ferry and go across to Bellagio for a decent meal out from Cadebennia
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

we stayed at another hotel (wish we'd stayed at this one) and this hotel is next door but two. We popped in for lunch twice and had dinner there another evening. the staff are excellent, the food superb and freshly cooked - the ravioli with aspargus well worth a try.
The waitresses really seem to enjoy their job - I do recommend it and it's not expensive either

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My sister and I were on an Intrepid tour and were lucky to stay here while at Lake Como for two days. Our room was very comfy and also had a big shower with a window that had a lake view. We ate dinner across the street at the waters edge dining area the first nite, and in the restaurant the next evening. Very good food and service. But the staff were the best part. So helpful. I needed to see a doctor, and they got their Dr. to come to our room that very afternoon. What a relief! I got the meds I needed and was happy to still be able to enjoy being at Lake Como and seeing all the nearby towns.. We walked to the bus stop and the boat dock...both close to the hotel. And took a nice ride on a little tourist train also. I would love to return to this hotel.
It is a five star in my book.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Catania, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

A very nice family-run hotel. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a good restaurant next to the hotel and other eating places in the vicinity. I much preferred this small, cosy hotel to the massive and impersonal Britannia Excelsior next door where my parents were staying. If you want luxury, go elsewhere, but a good chat over breakfast and whenever you like can be had here. Great position to go round the lake.

Stockport UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Passed though Cadennabia while on Lake Como and stayed for 2 nights in the Riviera. Nice family run hotel with friendly staff.
Beautiful and un obstructed views of the lake if you have a lake view room.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stunning views of Bellagio across Lago Como with the high mountain backdrop greet guests at Hotel Riviera. Situated on the main road, the views are exceptional. Villa Carlotta is within easy walking distance, as is a ferry terminal for trips on the lake to Bellagio and other beautiful towns. A family run hotel provides attentive personal service where nothing is too much trouble. On one occasion the traffic was marshalled so I could pull on to the main road in safety. A good breakfast is included and wifi and parking are free. The attached restaurant is excellent, with tables available right on the lake. The hotel is quaint, clean and very comfortable - excellent value. The main road can be busy but the noise is more than compensated by the views. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - the traffic noise is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riviera? Share your experiences!