We spent a week at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo Palace. (I've written about Lake Como separately.)
Lake Como takes the shape of an inverted Y. Tremezzo is near the center of the lake and on the west side. We booked the Superior Room Lake View with Half Board. Our room, 419, was on the top floor and had a balcony slightly larger than most. Its large windows and glass door had curtains and a retractable louvre, but we kept them open almost always. We even kept the door open most of the time, even at night. The cool mountain air was wonderful for sleeping. The bed was large and very comfortable.
My wife loves a sparkling bathroom, and this one was that. She soaked daily in the tub, and loved the provided robe and slippers. I prefer a shower, which it also had.
We enjoyed the beautiful common spaces, which include a reading room and The Candles bar and its terrace. The hotel's garden runs up the hill behind, and was well worth an exploratory walk. There's an outdoor pool there, and in season a wood-fired pizza kitchen.
Which brings me to the dining.
The breakfast, included with all rooms, was a delight. Scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon and sausage, roasted cherry tomato, sliced meats and cheeses; an omelette chef; cakes and sweet rolls; a table of fresh and preserved fruits; a variety of breads and rolls; fruit juice of half a dozen kinds; sparkling wine, acqua minerale, coffee, espresso, cappuccino. Breakfast is taken in the terrace dining room, its three glass walls overlooking the morning lake and the green mountains across. We loved the breakfast hours: 7:00 til 10:30.
Dinner, which we took at the hotel every evening, was served between 7:30 and 10:00. The half board allowed us to choose a four-course meal from a daily menu. Usually there were two or three options for each course: antipasto, primo piatto, secondo piatto, dolce. Most evenings the dinner was served in the terrace dining room, now overlooking the lights of lake's boats and towns. The last evenings we were there, dinner was served in the lovely and intimate Contessa dining room, and instead of the daily menu we were to choose the same courses from the main menu.
The food throughout was excellent, and was served by the attentive and courteous dining room staff, headed by Signor Gianfranco, whom we came to think of as Il Falco -- The Hawk. (I hope that has no unfortunate connotations in Italian.) He worked with the others in providing wonderful service, but when given a moment would walk the room looking intently here and there to make sure everything was as it should be. Thank you, Il Falco!
There are three ferry landings near the hotel, so it was easy to get out on the lake, and to visit the other lake towns.
Right next door to the hotel is the spectacularly beautiful and interesting Villa Carlotta, one of Lake Como's best attractions. We spent the fat part of a day enjoying its wonderful variety of plants -- and met a friendly cat!
What's our ultimate evaluation? When we return to Lake Como, we will return to the Grand Hotel Tremezzo Palace!
A word about getting there: we hired a taxi to meet us at Malpensa and drive us directly to the hotel, and the reverse going back. That way we avoided multiple hops involving two or more busses, trains, ferries, or taxis. We used a local transfer service, Lake Como Taxi, which performed flawlessly and was considerably cheaper than another service that was cited on the hotel's website.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One hundred windows overlooking the blue of the Lake or the green of the secular park: this is Grand Hotel Tremezzo. Celebrating a century of charm in 2010 on one of the most beautiful locations of Lake Como, directly facing Bellagio, this is a real Palace steeped in history and a sense of mellow luxury. With three pools, of which one floating on the Lake, and a panoramic SPA, it’s the ideal spot to savour a real holyday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Venere, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Grand Hotel Tremezzo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Tremezzo Palace
- Grand Hotel Tremezzo Italy - Lake Como