“Home from home” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Warsaw, Poland
“Home from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Based on the Tripadvisor reviews, we (me and my husband) booked Holidays Fico d`India. We couldn`t have chosen better! We knew everything would be great even before getting to the hotel.
We got lost on the way (we were driving to Furore). I called Pino (the owner and such a nice man) and he came to guide us to the hotel in 5 minutes! it was around 10 pm. We were greeted with nice home wine and some bruschettas.
It was already dark so we couldn`t see a thing. But the next morning, when we opened our balcony door, what a view!!! Then breakfast. A wonderful selection of Italian cold meats, delicious coffee, something sweet to follow. Enough food to keep you going all the day long.
We booked a suite. it`s very spacious, with a huge, comfortable bed, a sofa, a desk etc and a nice balcony with two chairs and a small table (you could spend there hours because of the view; sorry I`ve already mentioned the view but saying the word "view" a million times won`t be enough, you just have to see that with your own eyes!). The bathroom is big enough, clean with everything you need (I`d rather have a shower instead of a huge jacuzzi; a simple hook on the wall for the shower would do, I think). It`s a small family business but even nice slippers with their logo are provided.
After each wonderful day driving along the cost, we couldn`t wait to have dinner. Delicious, home-made food. There is a menu but nobody uses it. You tell Pino what you want and he`ll get it for you. I love octopus (I can`t eat it fresh in Poland where I live so I eat it when we travel) so every evening as my starter I had a lovely plate of octopus. Home-made, enormous delicious ravioli, nice fish, pasta with clams, you name it. To drink - a nice selection of local wines and liquors made locally as well. Not only the famous limoncello but other flavours that nobody knows what their names are in English. Yummy!!!
Pino treats his guests as friends. You get that feeling all the time. You can also buy the wine and liquors at the hotel. The prices are good. So nice you can take some of those flavours home. We got a box of fresh, delicious lemons back home with a recipe to make limoncello at home and we did it. With every sip of our limoncello we can feel as if we were sitting at Fico and chatting with Pino. I didn`t mention the view from the restaurant. You already know - it is gorgeous!!!
The location of the hotel is really good. Close to all interesting places to see along the Amalfi coast. Pino arranged a Capri trip for us (a waste of time in our opinion, very posh without a unique atmosphere; we think it`s so much nicer at the mainland). Pino took us to the place where the boat departed and picked us up after the trip.
You can see lots pieces of local ceramics all over the hotel. It makes the place so cosy.
You can even park your car under the olive trees!
Im` not putting any photos. The website shows everything.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinomilo, Owner at Holidays Fico d'India / Prickly Pear, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guests,
It' s a big pleasure to read your beautiful review about our Hotel Fico d'India Holidays and i thank you a lot for the lovely words about it.
I' m very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Furore in the Amalfi Coast and that you appreciated the hotel, the food and the kindness of the staff. All of us try to do the best to let our guests feel like at home. I really hope to see you again for a new holiday.
Best Regards,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Other reviewers have covered the amazing view, concierge-like abilities of Pino and his family,  the warm welcome, total cleanliness and comfort of the rooms, and nearly 24 hour services available (does this staff ever sleep?).

The true soul of Fico d'india is in the heart of Pino, who was born in this house and has lovingly restored it to a guest house beyond b & b status, but if guest houses could be culinary resorts, this may well qualify. Pino has redone the house for our benefit. The 6 rooms are decorated in similar style with tasteful draperies, firm beds, colorful tile floors and in suite bathrooms. They vary both in room size, balcony size and bathroom features. If you want a tub, shower, balcony, extra bed...just ask. You have options when you book your room. There is also a sun terrace and large jaccuzi hot tub and sauna for guests to use and Pino has two scooters which are available for rent.

If you have ever visited a relative in another county, you have the sense of what it would be like to stay here. Pino makes you feel like family. In this region, there are many options for staying overnight...small family run places, large luxury hotels, and even convents converted to hotels. If you want to immerse yourself in the life of the Amalfi coast, stay at Fico d'india and learn why the people who live here love this life and continue to stay for generations.

Breakfast is served anytime after 7 a.m. in the scenic dining room overlooking the Bay by Pino's ever present sister in law, Antonia.  The table looks like a still life picture! (see photo). Juice, coffee, tea, milk for beverage, sliced bread, ham and cheese plate, bowl of fresh seasonal fruit, variety of cereals, and the freshest, flakiest breakfast pastries ever made! Most guests take some back to the room, storing them in the mini-fridge for later.

Fico d'India  is off the  beaten path.  Choose to stay here if you prefer quiet at night, want to be treated like special family, and desire amazing views of the coast.

Tip: Although the bus does run nearby, a car is useful if you want complete freedom to come and go as you please. Otherwise you are tied to the bus schedule and its hours of service which could take some of the spontaneity out of touring the coast.

As an added bonus there is a great restaurant (serving both lunch and dinner reviewed under Restaurante Holidays Fico d'India) that is locally known for fresh, seasonal food and giving guests the feeling of having just come home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. There are only 6 rooms and at least 5 have balconies with all the sam...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinomilo, Owner at Holidays Fico d'India / Prickly Pear, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
DEAR GUESTS,

thank you so much for your wonderful review.
You described everything perfectly, giving to other future customers a quick summary of what they might find when you visit us at Fico d'India Holidays. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Furore in the Amalfi Coast and that you appreciate the hotel, the food and the kindness of the staff.
Best regards from all the staff of the Fico d'India Holidays,
halesowen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Family of 3 stayed early June 2012. Friendly welcome and perfect service throughout from Pino and his staff. Delicious breakfast in dining room with spectacular sea and cliff views. Dinner even better - consistently high quality, generous portions and excellent value for half-board.

Pino did everything possible to make days out and travel easy, offering lifts to/from bus stops, nearby towns and villages. Some effort needed to use public transport and personally I wouldn't want to drive around this area. I've driven regularly in the Alps and around Corsica but Amalfi coast much more challenging. We visited Capri, Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii, using boats, buses and train.

Large, very comfortable and well appointed room, with good balcony. Room cleaning very good. Everything in the room worked well.

Great location provided you're reasonably mobile and adventurous. A very hilly area. Top class friendly service. Thanks to Pino and all from David, Anne and Adam. We hope to return one day!

Room Tip: Room with balcony and sea views excellent.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pinomilo, Owner at Holidays Fico d'India / Prickly Pear, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Adam Anne & David,
It' s a big pleasure to read your beautiful review about our Hotel Fico D'India Holidays and i thank you a lot for the lovely words about it.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Furore in the Amalfi Coast and that you appreciated the hotel, the food and the kindness of the staff. All of us try to do the best to let our guests feel like at home.
I really hope to see you again
Best Regards,
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Last July, 2011,I stayed at the Fico d'India in Furore on the Amalfi Coast of Italy and it was the most enjoyable experience I can ever remember having traveling. It has taken me this long to write the review because I continued savoring the experience! The location in the hills offered breathtaking beauty and serenity, and host Pino, his staff and his family all participated in making sure I had the adventure of a lifetime. I was traveling alone, and felt incredibly looked after and safe. As well, I followed their recommendations for places to go and things to do, and felt I experienced the culture of Italy instead of just being a tourist. While one might think the location out of the way, it was easy to get everywhere on the Amalfi coast from here. The breakfast with fresh croissants and cappuccino was always an excellent way to start the day, and each of the dinners a special treat. My room was clean, comfortable, and continued the impression that you were home and not just in a hotel. I highly recommend using local buses for travel. And, if you missed the last bus, or if they were full, Pino was happy to take you into Amalfi to catch other buses/ferries. If I am very lucky, I will be able to return again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

After travelling from grotty Naples Furore and this hotel were a small piece of paradise. It is peaceful, scenic and homely. The rooms are clean and we had a room with balcony which looked out over the gorge to the sea. The breakfast is large with fruit, cheese, meat, cereal, tea coffee, pastries. It was very generous. The staff are very helpful and go out of their way to make you relax and enjoy yourself. Pino is brilliant he made the stay at the hotel perfect. He is the most perfect host we have met. He will go out of his was to help you and get you to your destination if required. As the food was excellent we ate at the hotel every night. the food was delicious and lots of it. The lemon risotto with shrimps was excellent.
The location of the hotel on the side of the gorge is spectacular and even though we didn't have a car we got around by bus and thanks to Pino. One tip don't do the walk down to the gorge on the first day our calfs were runnier for the rest of the week. Good walk though, amazing views and nice restaurant in the gorge with a friendly manager. This hotel deserves to be booked everyday of the year for the amazing service, location and food.
Thank you Pino and staff for a great holiday. If there is space book it now you won't find better.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view and balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing our Hotel Fico D'India Holidays for your stay in Furore the Amalfi Coast and for writing your beautiful review.
I am very happy to know that you spent a pleasant stay here and that you could appreciate the kindness of the staff, the food and the location.
I look forward from hosting you again for a new holiday in Furore.
Kind Regards,
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We recently returned from 4 days on the Amalfi Coast staying at Hotel Fico d'India. After a nightmare getting out of Napoli airport we climbed up over the mountain to the absolutely breathtaking views of the Amalfi Coast. Winding our way down the hillside the turn off to the hotel is clearly signposted and you are going so slow on those crazy roads you wouldn't miss it. When we arrived we sat in the sun and had an amazing espresso which was only the start. The room was massive and clean with two lovely terrace doors. But the highlight was definitely the restaurant. We never and I mean never eat at hotels, we also like to explore but the food was SO good, Pino is the perfect host and recommends the loveliest food. We ate there all 4 nights and one lunchtime!!! We had a few lunches out and the quality and attention was not the same as Pino's, he spoils you! The complimentary Limoncello and the angel cake are delicious. All of the other guests ate dinner there also. On the topic of food the breakfast is also lovely, these massive freshly baked croissants filled with chocolate..they feel so decadent to eat for breakfast but when in Rome...!

The driving does take a long time to get used to, but I think it is the best way to get around. The Sita buses seemed very frequent (we frequently met them on tight bends!) and well used by everyone. I would recommend Posiatano, which is a beautiful town just park out of the town on the coastal road and walk back in. It's generally easy to park if you are willing to pay €3 or so an hour.

Thank you SO much Pino and family for an amazing stay, you have spoilt us but you made the holiday perfect! We would recommend Fico'India a thousand times!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinomilo, Owner at Holidays Fico d'India / Prickly Pear, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your beautiful review about our structure and for choosing our hotel for your stay in the Amalfi Coast. I really appreciate your compliments and I am glad to know that you spent a nice time in the "nature" .
I really would like to host you again for a new holiday and i take the occasion to wish you all the best.
Kind Regards from all the staff of Fico D'India Holidays,
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We cannot say enough great things about our recent 5 night stay with Pino and his fabulous family and staff. From the moment we arrived, we felt like family. Fico d'India has it all: graphic, beautiful vistas; spotless, reasonably-priced accomodations; and incredibly delicious, fresh food in generous portions. It is a great point from which to explore the entire Amalfi coast, thanks to Pino's assistance with travel and activity planning. He really means it when he says "for any problem, call me." We will forever treasure our memories of this vacation. Mille grazie, Pino!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holidays Fico d'India / Prickly Pear? Share your experiences!