“Great, location, hotel and service.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Il Saraceno Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Il Saraceno Grand Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Augustariccio, 33, 84011 Conca dei Marini, Italy   |
PENNSYLVANIA
“Great, location, hotel and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I am very confused about all the negative reviews of this hotel. We did not have a negative experience in any way. This is the most beautiful place in the world. Amalfi is located relatively close to Ravello, Positano, Capri and Pompeii. We were able to visit all of these towns because of the fantastic location of the hotel. The hotel room and the hotel itself were very clean and the entire staff was wonderful, very service oriented and eager to help us in any way. The food in the hotel restaurant is delicious. The seawater pool was a very relaxing, pleasant experience. We stayed for 10 days and the prices at the hotel were excellent. I am not an inexperienced traveler and have been to many parts of Italy and stayed in many hotels. I would definetly recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

This hotel is no way of a 5 star standard. It's very old and run down. The rooms were very basic in furnishings and bathroom.

All though it was very clean it was very basic bed looked old and was not very comfortable.

This hotel is used alot by locals for weddings and can be vesy noisy. One night we was kept awake until 3am with the band playing. Hotel commented that in the summertime it has weddings almost every night. We had a wedding every night of our 3 night stay.

Restaurant for breakfast was terrible, breakfast was included but it only offered cereal and some fruit and bread. When I ordered scrambled eggs and some bacon which they have on a menu staff failed to inform me of the extra cost. About 8 euros I think ?

Staff struggled to understand english and had to order things three or four times to get anything.

Asked for an iron to use in the room, they didn't have any but offered to press my shirt at surprise surprise an extra cost !

Best thing I can advise is avoid this hotel if your looking for a five star experience. This hotel does have a nice setting but that's about it.

Look at Revello much nicer area and better standard hotels.

• Liked — MINI BUS INTO ALMAFI
  • Disliked — ROOM AND STAFF
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Warwickshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

The hotel is described as 5 star by Expedia,I would agree with this for location and the private beach.
The hotel is located in probably one of the best locations on the coast and with a free bus ride into Amalfi until 10.00pm at night you cant go far wrong.
Just far enough out of town to be quite and peaceful but just 10 mins from the main square.The views are fantastic,rooms are great fun with good furnishings etc.
Good car park if you intend to drive (parking can be a nightmare with hotels on this coastline).
Service is not really five star and neither is the food,we would say a good 3 /4 star at best,I think it depends whos on duty !.
We would go back again as its a good base,fab views,really romantic - if they just sorted the food and staff to match the 5 star rating it would be fantastic.
Dont be put off by this but just take note that food and drink are expensive and it just doesnt quite justify the cost.
Visit the fab place to eat in the moutains just above Positano called La Tagliata,get there for 7pm ish and get a table overlooking the bay/village - breathtaking,then prepare to eat the very best food in Italy for next to nothing in price.Home cooking to die for,staff that are fantastic,full of locals - ENJOY ! .
Hope this helps-We will be going back.

• Liked — The postion and the clean rooms
  • Disliked — the food was not consistent in quality
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2007

Stayed here in June, 2006, and really loved it. I'd read the negative reviews about how run-down it was, and about the nasty staff, but that wasn't my experience. No, the rooms weren't great, but the views from them were stupendous. It's a converted fortress, and you literally see for miles from your window. I LOVED the staff. They couldn't have been more helpful or accomodating when Alitalia lost my luggage on the flight from Milan to Naples, and I trily believe that it was their persistence with the airlines that helped me get it back. Il Saraceno is full of history and character, and is so unique you have to experience it.

Stayed March 2007
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

This is a little belated but here are my experiances during 2 stays.
2001 had a wonderful time, hotel was alive and food, especially the luncheon buffet at the beach, was excellent the beach and views were great.
2004 returned to find the hotel very empty, compared to 2001, the food was good although the luncheon buffet was not as diverse as 2001.
The rooms and cleanliness was also not what it was and one other new annoyance, this hotel does alot of weddings and in 2004 they added ariel bombs to the celebrations which exploded right outside our room even as late as midnite.
Too bad a hotel with such great possibilities is going downhill.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — last van pickup from amalfi at 9:00 pm
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2006

The best thing about the hotel is its beach. Although getting to the beach is by elevator (a bonus considering the number of steps down), but once you get off the elevator you're in a very dark long musty tunnel.

The rooms are adequate – certainly nothing to write home about. It appears that the bathroom in our room was recent redone, so it was clean, but ugly. Considering all the beautiful ceramic tiles in this part of Italy, it’s surprising they choose to use a cheap looking dusty pink floral pattern.

I found the maid service a little odd. Almost every time we left our room, they would come in replace any used towels and/or turn down the bed, but when I used a glass out of the minibar, they just stuck it back in without washing it, dead bug in the bottom and all. At first I thought it was a mistake, but it happened three times.

Another drawback to Il Saraceno is its location in comparison to the actual town of Amalfi. It’s about a ten minute ride from the town which you can reach by city bus (SITA), taxi or the hotel’s shuttle. Taxis are expensive, roughly €15 each way and the hotel shuttle runs a few times in the morning, shuts down for seven hours and resumes again in the evening. It only holds 8 people, so during popular times (like the last run back to the hotel at 10:10pm) you better get their early or you’re looking for an alternate mode of transportation.

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — Location compared to the town
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

The Saraceno was the first stop for me and my wife on our honeymoon in Italy. We made this trip in June of 2002. We really loved the hotel. It was very unique. I was a little shocked to find so many of the people who have given reviews up to this point have not had the same experience that we did. I do realize, however, that a lot can change in 3 and a half years.

The hotel sits between the cities of Amalfi and Positano. It is only a short drive/ride to either city from the hotel. Both are beautiful cities and you can’t beat the ride along the coast.

Our room was what the Saraceno calls a Double Deluxe. It had a bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and a balcony overlooking the Sea. The view from the balcony was breath taking but any view of the Amalfi coast is going to be spectacular. The room was kept very clean. If I remember correctly we paid around $320 per night.

We ate at the hotel restaurant on the first night of our stay. It had a very romantic feel and a great view. I don’t remember the food being bad but I can’t say that it was the best in Italy either. We actually had a more romantic and certainly better dinner the next night. We had sandwiches made from some bread, meat, and cheese we picked up in Amalfi and ate them on our balcony.

One of the nice things about this hotel is that it has a private beach. As others have stated the beach is covered with pebbles not sand so make sure you wear some type of footwear. The ocean was cold even though it was June. The water is beautiful and clear. I recommend taking the elevator not the stairs down to the beach. We made the mistake of walking down what seemed to be an eternity of stairs the first night only to find that access to the beach was blocked after dark. The elevator access at the bottom of the stairs sits at the end of a long and extremely dark corridor. Needless to say we made our way back up the seemingly never-ending steps. I have to say by taking the steps we got to the see a side of the hotel that most people won’t risk a heart attack to see. Being that The Saraceno is actually an old 11th century fort it has a lot of history to tell. We made it down to the beach on our second day. This time we took the elevator. The dark corridor we had seen the night before is well lit during the day.
The hotel also has a very nice sea water swimming pool but I really don’t remember seeing anyone using it.

The only problem I had while we were at The Saraceno was the hotel staff… mainly the bellhops. They were not very polite and seemed upset when they didn’t get what they thought they disserved for a tip. They would actually mumble under their breath as they walked off.

Another thing I would like to mention is the parking. I’m only mentioning it because it really amazed me and my wife. The hotel staff will park your car for you if you are driving. The parking was so tight that they actually had to fold in our mirrors on the Fiat we rented. Also the only way we could get into the car was through the back hatch because there was not enough room to open the doors. Usually the hotel staff will pull the car out for you but this day we chose to back it out of the parking area ourselves. By the way if you choose to drive on the Amalfi Coast don’t rent a manual transmission car like we did. The check engine light was on by the time we reached the hotel:)

Overall we had a great stay at The Saraceno. I would recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Amalfi. It is the perfect hotel for those wanting a unique place to stay. It’s also a great place for those who enjoy relaxing on a private beach.

• Stayed June 2002

Been to Il Saraceno Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!