“Lovely Stay and very homely” 4 of 5 stars

You added Locanda degli Agrumi to your Saves list
Locanda degli Agrumi
Via Io Maggio, 34 | Amalfi Coast, 84010 Conca dei Marini, Italy   |
Hong Kong
“Lovely Stay and very homely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed recently at at Locanda deli Agrumi and it thoroughly suited us as it was friendly, local, great view, lovely room with excellent bathroom and good value. As was typical of our stay in Italy beds are firm and pillows are flat. This is a family run B&B at best and is between Amalfi and Positano and rather remote but away from the tourist hordes and a more genuine Italian experience than we found in when we stayed in Positano. If you don't have you own transport then hire a scooter (delivered to the hotel) other wise walking is arduous and SITA buses are irregular. For us it was great to explore Amalfi, Ravello and Piriano. The nearby restaurant is excellent and also good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked a stay here after reading the reviews posted by others. However, my experience here was horrible for many, many reasons.

I planned to use public transit to get around the Amalfi Coast, and contacted the Locanda BEFORE confirming my stay there to determine how far the property was from the SITA bus. Salvatore said that the Locanda is one kilometre from the road. I sent 3 e-mails to further clarify. In each case, he failed to divulge the truth: that it is on a very steep hill, making it an arduous hike for even able-bodied people. Anyone with luggage, not in shape, seniors or handicapped people cannot make it up this road.

When I complained to Salvatore after making my first trek up the hill, and told him that he had misrepresented his location when I wrote him before choosing his Locanda, he told me that I should hire one of his friends for my 4-day stay to drive me around. I replied that my budget did not allow for that, and that I had told him in my e-mails that I wanted to be close to public transit. I asked if he could drive me to the road, since many of the reviews stated that he had done so. He looked at me puzzled -- and refused. On one occasion, I hitchhiked to get down the winding road to the SITA bus. Coming back at night and walking in the dark along this road is not ideal circumstances for women travelling alone.

After the long trek, I wanted to take a bath, but there wasn't enough hot water to fill even one bath. I told Salvatore, but he never got back to me. He never offered me another room to resolve any of the issues we had although there were very few guests staying there, not surprisingly.

I asked for an extra pillow, and he gave me a lumpy, large square one -- without a pillow case. What hotelier gives a guest a pillow without a pillow case???

The room did not have WiFi, although we were told it did. Salvatore told me that the WiFi was often a problem in some rooms, and to try the patio, but I was unable to get any service there either. The one place WiFi worked was in the breakfast area.

The final straw was when I awoke from my second night there covered in itchy insect bites on my face, forearms and calves. I saw a pharmacist in Amalfi who determined that they were BED BUGS and gave me cortisone cream for the incessant itch!!

I decided that I had to leave the Locanda. I told Salvatore that I was checking out due to all the problems we had had during our stay.

He insisted that we pay for the entire 4-day stay, although we were leaving after 2 days. I reviewed with him all the problems we had encountered and asked him to allow me to pay only for the days we stay there, but he insisted that I pay for the entire 4 days.

Why should customers have to pay for days they are not there -- when they leave due to being unsatisfied with the accommodations?

It has been 2 weeks since I was there, and the bed bug bites remain on my body. I saw a doctor in Canada as soon as I came home who confirmed the diagnosis, and gave me antibiotics and a cortisone cream. Booking.com tried to advocate on my behalf, but Salvatore refuses to refund me for the days I never stayed there despite bed bugs, the cost of purchasing cortisone cream for them in Amalfi, the cost of antibiotics and more stronger cortison cream in Canada, no WiFi, the cost of cabs to get from the main street to the Locanda, the lumpy pillow without a pillow case -- all which led me to leave the Locanda and stay at the Hotel Belvedere, which was fabulous in every way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We have just returned from a lovely staty at the Locanda degli Agrumi and can't recommend it highly enough. Salvatore and Rita are wonderful hosts and couldn't be more friendly. The views from all over the property are simply breathtaking, we couldn't believe the view from our room. Locanda degli Agrumi is spotlessly clean as are the rooms, which are simply but well decorated with modern bathrooms. Free wi-fi is included, which can occasionally be intermittent, but we were very surprised that it is as good as it is. For an extended stay I would recommend a car, since the hotel is a little out of the way, but well placed for visiting the whole coast-line. However without a car, you will need to rely on the local buses which are a little less frequent around Conca dei Marini than say Amalfi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Torino
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

No other place is enjoable like this "house" hotel, because You are not a guest, but part of the Salvatore's family.
If You ask for Your own little Paradise corner, go to Locanda degli Agrumi and tak a brekfast in the garden , looking the see, the flowers and the air perfume.
Mix everithing with the "sfogliatelle" taste and You are in Your best dream.

Room Tip: Be friendly and open Your heart to the friendship !!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This cosy place can really be recommended. Amongst all good remembrances in a very joyful vacation, the best remembrances are still from here (we stayed at the end of August). Hospitality and Location are top, but, most importantly, you just feel really comfortable here. Locanda degli Agrumi' very nice owners, Salvatore and Rita, take care of this. Thanks again.

L.d.A is perfectly located in Conca dei Marini, a small village of just about 700 locals that differentiates itself substantially and in a very fine way from the neighbouring more-famous places of the Amalfi Coast. It's up the hill from the coast road (in the words of Salvatore, the superb host, from "the Chaos"). As you will be nevertheless will be curious to visit Amalfi, Positano & Ravello, it is also a perfect spot for making short (you will not wish to stay away longer in these busy touristic places and prefer the charm of dining in bacchus, the restaurant on the villages "main" "square" with just a handful of other guests whom you'll end up talking to praising the delicious food) excursions to these cities.

Maria and Felix

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at Locanda degli Agrumi in mid-July 2012 for 3 nights with our daughter and son-in-law. We have only wonderful memories of our stay...from Salvatore welcoming us outside as we drove up, our lovely room with sea views, great breakfasts ready for us in the morning and the list goes on. Salvatore and his wife Rita were the best hosts and very kind and we felt at home. We will definitely return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed 7 nights at Locanda degli Agrumi at the beginning of July 2012. The reviews from tripadvisor.com recommended this place so we booked without hesitation. The room was beautiful and charming, with sea view, clean and designed according to local tradition and we loved it.

As other users mentioned, the breakfast included several fresh fruits, croissants and sweets, butter and gem, fresh orange juice and coffee. Here I might guess there will be some problems for those who are used to eat a lot of products based on meat, eggs and cheese.

The location is a good place to visit the Amalfi Coast. Locanda degli Agrumi is situated in a small village, with a few good restaurants. La Polisportiva Ristorante, located at just 150 m offers a great sea view at smaller prices compared to Amalfi or Positano.

If you have no car or scooter you might consider some daily walking towards the beach or SITA bus. We had no vehicle, we saved money, but we climbed daily the hill - ~1km road distance. The location, offers free car parking but you might consider rates for car parking in Amalfi or Positano starting 4 euro/hour in high season.

In conclusion, I recommend this location for all those who want to visit the stunning Amalfi Cost.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Locanda degli Agrumi? Share your experiences!