“Not bad but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Kolimbia
Swindon
“Not bad but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

A group of 9 stayed June 2013. We got what we paid for. The hotel is at the back of the resort so a bit of a walk to the centre or the beach. The hotel was clean and the pool was lovelly but most of the sunbeds are broken and uncomfortable. The rooms are spacious and cleaning was excellent. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful....most of the staff were not! The unfriendly bar staff let this hotel down and it is not typical of Greek hospitality, so don't let this put you off Greece. The food was not bad, there is always something for every taste. The weather was glorious. If you are on a budget this hotel is ok. I would not return to this hotel because on my many visits to the Greek islands the thing that makes me want to return is the friendly Greek hospitality and there was none of that at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed at Marianna for 4 weeks last year and 6 weeks this year. Nothing is perfect but I certainly can't fault it. There is always a good selection of food for all meals, can't understand the ones who go to Greece and only want English food. There is a selection for all nationalities..
The staff could do with a few more smiles sometimes but they are working long hours.
I will go back again either in September or next spring,not sure yet.
There is a very good selection of drinks on the all inclusive, OK they are local drinks but good. I even drank a few cocktails which I don't normally do.
Get a life some of you or pay a couple of grand for 5 * all in for 1 week in Faliraki!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed for a 7 nights and we booked this hotel because we wanted the option of all inclusive without being tied to the hotel.

We hired a car and drove from the airport. There was a power cut in Kolimbia and all the street lights were out. It proved to be hard to find the hotel and we had to ask at local hotel that had lights on. My biggest tip to anyone driving from the airport. Don't go down the main road to Kolimbia. Ignore the sign and drive about 200-300 metres past. Turn left into ROME street. This road takes you all the way into Kolimbia. At the end of the road turn right and then do a left into the first road (OSLO street) with the no entry signs. The gate to the hotel is immediately on the right!

The hotel staff were fine. They have to deal with some really difficult people (from ALL countries) with ridiculous expectations. If you pay a cheap price for all inclusive in Greece you can't expect them to be singing and dancing around! Give them a smile, say "calamera" and be polite. It is amazing how far this can get you!

The food is fine because you are in Greece! If you want English food then don't go to Greece. The salads were fantastic. On the flip side the selection of fruit was pretty poor especially at breakfast. I took my own bananas and nuts to have with my muesli and greek yoghurt.

We had breakfast everyday, lunch twice and dinner twice. I have nothing more to say than it is ok. If you expect better food then don't book a cheaper hotel.

The pool was lovely. Very big and deep so it made swimming in the sun very very nice! We didn't lie next to the pool at all. Not our cup of tea.

The beach close by was nice but I definitely recommend Tsambika beach next door. It is beautiful, sandy and the water is crystal clear!

The room itself was fine, very clean, new towels everyday. Maid service was very good. The shower was very powerful. We had balcony looking at the hills and it was fantastic sat outside in the evening. One problem was the pillows! They were wafer thin and we had to fold up beach towels to plump them up a bit.

What did frustrate me a little was the odd ons. Wifi was 15 euros extra. Air Con was 6 euros a day. Beach Towels were 10 euros each but this was a deposit we got back. The pool table was a bit tired but the table tennis was fun. I would rather pay a bit more and have it all included.

Ask at reception about the trips. They will book things for you.

Overall, the hotel was fine as a base. But if you want a holiday where you are tied to the hotel, I would recommend spending a little more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

stayed at mariana palace hotel for a ten day break and I would clearly say if your English stay clear food was plenty but not edible no English food only bread which was about edible and breakfast could just be tolerated no bacon same food served all time around the pool was covered in duck poo never cleaned until complained about it there was duck with 8 chicks just roaming around complex going in pool and on sun loungers entertainment none and bang on midnight even if you still had a drink lights turned off the older barman very ignorant and totally ignored you even though he new you wanted serving by clearing glasses tidying bar area complained reception about all off these issues but did not seem to care I would say more 2 star will not be returning back this hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
sunderland, uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had spent some time looking at the reviews before booking this hotel which was just as well. I stayed for a week from the 31st May 2013 and was ready to come home by the end of the week. The hotel itself is clean if a little dated (although I should mention after I emailed the hotel in advance I was given exactly what I asked for).
This is a VERY quiet hotel and location, best suited for older people. There is no entertainment at all. The Greek night is once a fortnight. The same greek music CDs are played on a loop all day and night in the bar and the dining room.Although a CD of 80s power ballads was dusted off for the last day of my stay - which was then played on a loop.
Highlights of the holiday were our visit to Rhodes old town and Lindos. We did both of these by local bus 3 euro each way beside the hotel. The buses take about 30 minutes, be prepared for the drivers, customer service is not high on their list of priorities.
I have to say I am not a fussy and "moaning about anything" traveler, but the hotel staff are every bit as bad tempered as the other reviews have commented. The exception is Gloria who smiles chats and makes an effort, and the girls on reception. There are very few staff which is probably why they are fed up most of the time. George the older bar man was on his own most days in the pool bar and would have a huge queue, often taking himself off into the kitchens, and complains if you do not clear your table of glasses.
The German and Russian visitors do seem to fare better with the staff. ALL of the literature in the reception area is in German, so if we had wanted to take part in any excursions we could'nt have figured out what was on offer - although the reception staff do speak English so I could of asked - or they could have written it up in English as well as German.
As other reviews have commented the food is "Quantity" over "Quality". Breakfasts being the poorest by far. Lunch was plentiful salads - and although I like a brussel sprout as much as the next person cold sprout salads??? Chips and chicken nuggets / pizza, usual pork / chicken casserole most days, and a fish in oil. No speciality Greek dishes while I was there, although theres feta if you get in quick, and stuffed vine leaves in the salad bar. Dinner again salads, a soup, frozen mixed veg, chips, rice, casserole type pork / chicken, often a fatty meat - pork / turkey, pasta either carbonara or a tomato sauce. Desserts are ice cream, small cakes, jelly.
The cocktails are plentiful, the white wine is good and there are plenty of soft drink options.
The maids clean the rooms everyday leaving fresh towels, and are cheerful and pleasant.
Air con is extra before July.
I was quoted 30 euro to keep our room until we were collected at 19.40, fortunately we had a friend who offered her room to keep luggage and have a shower.
We had two incidents of cockroaches ( on the 2nd floor), the first time I asked reception to deal with it and the guy came in and killed it with his shoe and flushed it down the loo - huge cockroach so not a good idea for the next people staying in that room.

We made a good bunch of friends on this holiday and we did all talk about writing a review and the fact that some people would complain about anything, so I've tried to keep this factual. Some people were happy and would return to the hotel, but it certainly is'nt 5 star with regards to the hospitality and the food.

Room Tip: 2nd floor over looking the mountain has balcony.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Booked 1 week all inclusive via Low Cost Holidays. This was not our first choice but the hotel we had booked was not yet open so we were relocated. The hotel was clean and comfortable. We had a double/ twin room over looking the mountain. The food was fine for what we paid, lots of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner, The hotel was very quiet but had only been open for a week or so. The staff were very friendly and attentive.

There isnt actually very much to do in the area, so if you looking for rest and relaxing this is the hotel/ resort for you. If you look for a bit more night life and day time activites I would try another town.

The pool area was comfortable and again was not too busy. I'm sure during peak season there would be a few more people around.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and the holiday company.

Room Tip: The air con costs 6 euros per day, the safe keys costs 20 euros and the towels 10 euros!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

It was definetely worth the money. The staff was helpful, the food tasty (both Greek and international) and the variety of drinks fine. Wi-fi is available at the lobby for extra cash (10 euros or so) and air-conditioning is basic (for free in summer months). The location is also good, with the bus service going to the beach, although not regularly since the interest of the guests was not very high (June 2012).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marianna Palace? Share your experiences!