“Grim.” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Afandou, Kolimbia 851 02, Greece   |
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Kolimbia
“Grim.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

When i first read about this hotel i expected a lot more than what i got. We were promised ice creams, fridge in the room, cakes and snacks and hotel entertainment. When i first arrived i was greeted by a rude unhelpful receptionist, he just gave me my room key and didnt tell me where to find my room and just pointed in the direction which didnt help at all. After i finally found my room i stumbled in to find ants on the hotel room floor, light bulbs that didnt work and a dirty toilet with a broken toilet seat and the plug socket was broken and hanging off the wall. Anyway, the morning after a terrible nights sleep with people shouting outside till 4am i finally got up and had a shower, with no hot water all. I went down to breakfast expecting a decent display of food to find nothing but a few measley beans, scrambled eggs and fried eggs. No bacon, sausages or other filling breakfast food. The pool was filthy and had leaves floating around it. To top it all off, there were rats running around around the seating area near the pool, swimming in it. Disgusting. The bar music is very poor, the same songs are played on repeat. The "fat controller" is extremely rude to guests and especially the staff, yelling at them constantly. The manager is very patronising towards the children and adults. The bar shuts at 11pm which is extrememly inconvinient and you can only get alcohol after 5pm. I wouldnt suggest this hotel to anyone after my stay here and i will never be coming back to rhodos again, the beaches are rancid and full of pebbles that hurt your feet and the sea is full of sting rays, jelly fish, eels and crabs. At the pool area its a constant battle trying to get sun beds as everyone comes down and steals them by putting their towels on them, there is a major lack of sun beds and chairs. You cant flush toilet paper down the toilets so you are left to have to put toilet paper in a bin with poo on it. The whole hotel is an eye sore and its nothing like i expected.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We read some pretty damning reviews before we went and were a little worried! I have to say that the reviews were completely unfounded, we so enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again. The first room we got had two single beds but as we were on honeymoon the staff quickly rectified this and gave us a room in newer part of complex with double bed, although the first room was adequate the second room was of a much higher standard. The sheets and towels changed 6 days a week and room thoroughly cleaned too.
The food is typical Greek food which we loved I can see how young kids maybe could be fussy as wasn't much chips or pudding but overall fantastic food, the bar served wine beer soft drinks 9-5 then local spirits 5-11 including cocktails however I ordered a smirnoff and paid only 3.5 euro n got MASSIVE glass must've been 4 shots easy so mega cheap. We honestly can't fault it very good value for money.

• Stayed August 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

after I had read some of the reviews on here I was a little bit worried about what I was letting myself in for but I can honestly say I had a great time! these people who moan are obviously not hapy unless they are moaning about something - I even met a couple who moaned that it was too hot (I dont know what temperatures they were expecting in August in Greece...!)

the rooms were clean (and cleaned every day), the beer was nice and cold, the cocktails in the evening were delicious and the food was edible. fair enough, the selection of meals was few and far between but for the price the holiday cost I didnt expect a lot!

I found a lot of people on here seemed to moan about the owner but I found him to be a pleasant man (he even gave me a hug on my last day!). the staff are all friendly and the majority speak excellent English.

unfortunately the hotel doesnt (or didnt the week I was there anyway!) have any entertainment apart from a pool table so if you are looking to have your days and evenings planned for you then this isnt the hotel for you. However, if like me you just wanted a cheap, quite, all-inclusive week in the sunshine I definately recommend Hotel Loutanis!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

It never fails to amaze me how spiteful and unnecessarily vicious some people are when they review. I can only assume they have very sad and unfulfilling lives to the extent that their only pleasure in life is to besmirch(erroneously)the reputation of other people or organisations.Same it's so hard to libel someone anonymous who lives in a different country. Obviously read The Daily Fail.Sorry, 'Mail'. Go to a caravn park in Cleethorpes next time and complain about the (incidentally excellent)locally sourced fish and chips or the crazy golf.Or stay at home and complain at the television. Don't think Peter at the Pearly gates is going to be too worried about them;hope they like the heat..

On to the hotel. When i arrived(and departed)I was in a high state of anxiety due to problems with 'Irish' Air. The lady behnd the desk couldn't have been more chilled out and helpful as she sorted me out and helped me print out what i needed. She's a real 'Earth Mother', bless her.

The room was clean(and cleaned daily), and entirely appropriate for the price.Air con was efficient(keep your curtains closed duing the day: Greece happens to be hot..)and that combined with the firm comfortable bed ensured that I slept soundly every night.

The food was always tasty.Never a massive choice but if you're staying for a week then filling up here each day combined with a few evenings eating out and you'll be fine.Great homeade soup and crusty bread also.

The family oriented pool areas were well used(but never overcrowded) and sunbeds were always free. The pools themselves were cleaned daily and within arm's reach of the bar(of the alcoholic drinks I would reccomend the lemonade and ouzo during the day;very refreshing). they also employ an enthususiastic, gregarious fella who organises beach volleyball and water polo competitions for the guests each day if you feel like it. Great for getting to know people if you so wish and gives a little more variety from just drinking free alcohol, soaking up the intense rays, reading your book, slepping off your dinner and slipping in to the quiet pools.

The hotel is just a ten minute or so walk away from Kolimbya and its bars and restaurants, which is far enough away to be quiet(there's no other hotels within 6 or seven minutes walk)which means you have the best of both worlds as it is both quiet during the day and evening yet near enough to amble out for a change of scenery.

They also run regular hotel guest exclusive minibuses(which are free) throughout theday to and from the local(stunning)beaches which are about a 20 minute walk away if you happen to miss them.

Finally the Rhodes bus service runs regular(and very cheap:say 2 or 3 Euros)air conditioned coaches to popular spots around the island so you can explore the island on the cheap also.

Overall fantastic value for money: clean comfortable rooms(my blue wooden furniture was very chic and sweet i thought), free drinks, wholly acceptable food and very friendly and communicative staff(I even had a good relationship with the cleaner for my room;lovely lady).

I went for a relaxing solo holiday but the hotel is aimed at families and provides what you need if you're on a budget. And the poolside barman was perfectly fine, courteous and talkative(especially about Greek bands). 'One in the eye' for disgruntled guests who may have personality disorders and probably shout at traffic lights and scowl at kittens. People from the east coast of the UK tend to be negative about everything anyway: I'm from there myself and couldn't wait to leave. I wonder why..

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Front of hotel(sea view)may be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We arrived at the hotel Loutanis, after reading some inaccurate reviews, with a little apprehension. Now, imagine my delight when we arrived at the hotel in the early hours of the morning (4:00am) and were able to check in straight away. No fuss about checking in after 14:00 or later. Just smiles, a little chat with Konstantinos (the night receptionist who also lectures in byzantine art in Iceland during the winter) and off to bed.

Ok, so I didn't get the double bed I requested, although I think my other half was kind of pleased about that. The room was a really decent size, clean and comfortable. It was a lovely simple room.

We lounged by the pool for a couple of days in the shade of a lovely big tree, with as many free drinks as we could be bothered to go and get up for... The bar staff were nice. I didn't come across any unreasonable restrictions to the free drinks. It was a bit different in the evening (slow bar service and not a lot of atmosphere), but you'd be better off going out in the evening to the town, which is a short walk away. Say 15 minutes.

The food was totally fine... keeping in mind that it's all inclusive and probably ran on a tight budget. We always found ourselves satisfied. Basic sort of stuff, but we also eat out sometimes too. Gyros pita for two euros fifty in the town. Mmmmmmm.

It is a comfortable place at often amazing all inclusive prices. I think the people who complained, and there were some I spoke to by the pool, were just those kind of people with ridiculous ideas of what they deserve... it's properly cheap, decent and the people were lovely. There's a bus to Lindos from the town, (basically just one long street) or one to Rhodes town. Both about three-fifty each way. There's better beaches to the local ones, Agathi is the best we found (with hire car), but you can chill out on a sun lounger all day for four euros, with the warm sea lapping not far from your feet.

Kolymbia is quiet.

Hotel Loutanis is lovely.

Just don't spend all the time there... get out, go to the mountainous central area for some amazing scenery, see other beaches. It's a beautiful island with some really very friendly people. Take some time to be a little bit nice and they'll be nice in return.

Enjoy your trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pencaitland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our stay at the Loutanis was very enjoyable. I went with my Girlfriend and we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It did have its pros and cons however. Starting with the bad points, I would say the food was very average, similar stuff each day and it was aimed at foreign travelers rather than British holiday makers. One more down side was the all inclusive drinks were served in small glasses one at a time meaning you struggled to fully hydrate. The room was very basic with no hairdryer kettle and the shower had no holder so you had to hold it to shower yourself. We made the most of our holiday and the lack of entertainment at the hotel got us out and about sightseeing. The water ark at Faliraki is a must do and the hotel provides a free bus service to the local beach which has stunning views and water-sports. The pools in the hotel are both clean and there are always sun beds available. The staff were usually very helpful, smiling and always on hand. The night life around was very family orientated but there was always one bar with live music or entertainment on. This hotel is by no means one to totally avoid as value for money is good and the area is cheap as well however if you have that extra bit of money I would take less to spend and pay more for a hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

i have just returned from a week staying at loutanis and it was a very enjoyable and relaxing.
On our arrical we were met with a lovely smile and friendly face.
Our room although basic was very clean and the housekeeping was great too, we had clean towels every day and bedding every other.
The food in the hotel is very nice and typically greek so if your looking for english food then stay in england.
The bar and pool area were very clean and staff always polite and friendly.
Drinks were a tad limited in choice but what do you want for a 3 star family run hotel?!
The owner or "boss man" as we called him was lovely and we had a good laugh together even though he doesnt speak a word of english bless him.
To sum my weeks stay here i will say i will defianately return as i miss it already and loved the fact it was a lovely and well run family gem.
Thankyou Loutanis xx

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Loutanis Hotel? Share your experiences!