“good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Kolimbia
Braintree, England, United Kingdom
“good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I went to this hotel for a week with my partner. I was a warm and friendly hotel. staff were helpful. always something I liked to eat at meal times. situated close to bars and lots of shops. 5 min walk to beach... I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday close to beach etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just returned from a great family holiday at this hotel,Food was great the staff where excellent.room clean and tidy .Just remember when booking you are paying for a 3 star not a 5 star .I would highly recommend this hotel for a family .yes the hotel is quiet in the evenings but the kids thought the music played around the pool bar was fine .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We chose this hotel for our honeymoon in late September and we were very satisfied. It is a three-star hotel, so don't expect much luxury. It is friendly though with good (and a lot of) food. Sometimes we didn't like the meals and we just ate a Greek salad and Tzaziki (always available). With all inclusive you get free drinks at the pool bar and wonderful ice-cream between 3-5 p.m. Kolimpia is situated between towns of Lindos and Rhodes, which are totally worth seeing! Use the buses (3,5 € for a ride) and take things for swimming - especially Lindos bay was great :)

Room Tip: We stayed at number 200 house and we heard music from the pool bar and also from a neighbouring bar...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July 5 adults 1 child it was a basic hotel with no entertainment at all, pool was nice, drinks were not they a all tasted the same. Food was at times inedible( the local take away did a roaring trade with us). The staff were friendly enough and the, location was good for the bars and shops, memories bar is a good night out and just across the road. I would not go back to this resort or hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just returned from a great two week stay at the Marathon Hotel with my husband and daughter (Adult).. Before leaving home I had read reviews on tripadvisor and was very apprehensive about what to expect. I need not have worried, everything exceeded my expectations. The staff were all brilliant and the few problems we did have were sorted out quickly and efficiently. Our rooms were clean and towels and beds were changed regularly. Bins were emptied daily. The bathroom though small was adequate for our needs - (a note to Mick (A previous reviewer) I have yet to see a Greek shower that you don't hold in your hand! - and why on earth did he need to stand on one leg!) The staff all worked hard for long hours but always had a smile on their faces. Food was very good and there was always a good choice. The salads were well presented and always fresh. Contrary to Mick's review, deserts did not just consist of fruit; there was always jelly or crème brulle and also cake or baklava on various occasions. As my husband and daughter would tell you I am a "Fussy Eater" but even I could find something I liked and was usually spoilt for choice; I never once left the dining room hungry. If you want fish and chips every meal then stay at home and go to Blackpool. We as a family have travelled to many different countries and have been to lots of hotels some good and some awful; Some we couldn't wait to get away from; We would not hesitate to go back to the Marathon, we had a lovely time and met some lovely people. The reviewer Mick who also posted some pictures arrived the same day as us and left at the end of our 1st week, he did nothing but complain to anyone who would listen to him. If you want 5* accommodation and food then pay 5* prices! The Marathon is a good 3* hotel and well worth the price we paid for two weeks "All Inclusive". My only negative comment would be that the beds were rather hard but that's better than being too soft and we only had one pillow each - two would have been nice, but they were insignificant problems that did no way detract from our enjoyment of the holiday. We would like to take the opportunity to say thank you to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable and a special thanks to "Big John" who was on nights on reception and who was so helpful when we had problems with our airport transfer on the last night.

Room Tip: Some rooms near the pool can be a little noisy at night from the bar next door so if you have young...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was expecting a star below the Spanish hotels we usually stay in but nothing as BAD AS THIS HOTEL. It`s like turning the clock back 40 years We went with Olympic Holidays and put in a tatty room with an old A/C unit doing battle with the heat in the corner and sounding like a Blast Furnace. There was an old ice cream container outside to catch the condensate which I had to empty every morning, The room had been painted over to hide God knows what and all the cheap furniture was chipped and scratched and sticking in their various units. The bathroom was full of mildew and the bath was half English size with a mixer tap and hand held spray nozzle. I have never had a shower standing on one leg while spraying various parts of my nether regions with a mucky old hose pipe. If the wife forgot to change the mixer tap from hosepipe to tap and the you went for a shower,,,,,,,,Like trying to catch a King Cobra in the Monsoon and about as dangerous Luckily I already have False Teeth, The TV was like something you have taken to the dump 5 years ago. The pool area was surrounded by Sunbeds repaired with metal strips.The pool was complimented by Bathroom tiles Guaranteed to make you slip over. Now The Food.......Absolutely Horrible. The cheapest rubbish I have ever seen...........And you see it often........Breakfast reappears at lunch and dinner........Tired old salads and meatloaf made out of leftovers. The dessert table is just grapes,peaches and melon Every Day. There is no entertainment on an evening and the drinks from the only bar are ALWAYS served in half washed plastic glasses.....They have more water in them than the Adriatic.If the price we were charged was halfed I mighy not be ranting on so much. All in all an awful week in this hotel..............Sattelite TV was.....You have guessed it The News........Please don`t ignore this as sour grapes I go on lots of holidays but this one was bad.
My Advice Stay Away

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Date of Travel 17th July 2013

We travelled to the Marathon Hotel for a 2 weeks stay, the hotel it’s self is clean, but basic and is typical of a 3 star Greek Hotel, an ideal base but I wouldn’t use the all inclusive! Drinks are and I mean an acquired taste! (And I am a frequent traveller to this resort!)
We arrived in time for evening meal and was not surprised to see the limited choice, again the menu met the standard required of a 3 star hotel, however the food was either cold or luke warm and considering this was at the start of service was NOT a pleasant experience, but we did reserve judgement until the next day.
Breakfast was again to the standard of a 3 start hotel, but again the temperature of the food was either cold or Luke warm, Lunch was particularly interesting as the Sprouts that were obviously left over from the previous night were recycled in to sprout salad and sprout soup. My Husband who is a Catering Manager with 28yrs experience worldwide was extremely concerned as there were both rice and pasta being served at both Lunch and Dinner and neither were at the temperature required by Greek Health & Safety Law. Both these particular foods are high risk foods for bacteria that cause food poisoning, my husband felt compelled to raise the matter with the hotel management and the Olympic Representative, especially when we were hearing of people with upset stomachs.
Apparently this was the first complaint to be made to the Olympic Representative of this nature but as we have been travelling to this resort over the last 10 years, we have made friends with the locals in the area and consider some as family, it turns out that this hotel is renowned for the food being served cold or Luke warm, and the Local Take away do quite a bit of business with the clients from the Marathon Hotel.
Despite many conversations between the Hotel Management and the Olympic Representative, who did a fabulous job of applying pressure to the hotel to get this matter sorted as he too had major concerns about the safety of his clients.
Unfortunately no improvement was made whilst we were there.
We were travelling with 3 teenagers and asked for adjoining rooms but we were placed in separate blocks and told the hotel was full...even when rooms became vacant the very next day we were not offered the chance to move.
This hotel is predominantly used by East Europeans and Germans who are very rude...and like to reserve their sun beds, go back to bed , then down the beach before using them....but to be honest it is a task to find one that is either not broken or badly repaired!
The pool is nice and clean and however the drainage tiles around the pool are loose in places and have a sharp edge on some, so if you are travelling with children beware of this.
The Hotel it’s self is as I mentioned earlier very basic, with minimal maintenance being carried out, only one key per room (obviously to save money by stopping people from leaving the air-con on all day)
TV Channels are limited; we had only BBC World News.
The showers are self hold and the bathrooms cramped, with oversized sinks and badly planned out, notches cut it the doors to allow them to open and close!
It is obvious that this hotel is run on a shoestring budget and not for client comfort, with a lovely bar area in the main building left un-used and the pool bar used both day and night! Not very inviting for clients with limited budgets to stay in the hotel!!
I can say we used this hotel only as a Base due to the food safety issues and can recommend you go see Leyteris & Giannis at Memories Bar for good Food and Drink! They will even move heaven and earth to get your chosen sport on for you too and make you feel part of the family!
Jimmy’s Take Away and Nikos Taverna were also lifesavers, for excellent food!
I am an ex Rep and just tell it how it is if you want to know more feel free to message me and I’ll try to help you best I can...

Room Tip: Rooms around pool are noisy!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marathon Hotel? Share your experiences!