“Hotel from hell! Aracnofobia!” 1 of 5 stars

Memphis Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kolymbia Beach, Kolimbia 85103, Greece   |
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Kolimbia
Milan
“Hotel from hell! Aracnofobia!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

I booked the hotel through Expedia for one week, full board (around 1000 euros). We arrived at the hotel around midnight with a rental from the airport.

The first impression was not bad at all. The only staff person spoke Italian and he was very nice. Near the reception desk there was a big sign from a very well-know Italian travel agency so we immediately thought that the hotel must be comfortable.

I did not know at that moment how much I was wrong.

We went to room and it was MORE THAN UGLY.

There was no AC (which we paid for) so that the temperature was around 90F/35C. Then we checked the room and found many mosquito corpses smashed everywhere: walls, doors ... The room had not been cleaned. There were clearly fresh mosquito corpse even on the doors.

Suddenly, my girlfriend tapped on my shoulder. Her finger was pointing to a HUGE black spider on the wall (1.5 inch in diameter). I tried to take a picture of it but as soon as it sensed the click of the flash it run like hell somewhere below the bed.

We left the room with our luggage and went to the reception and complained.

First, the receptionist told me that all the room with AC were taken for the next days. So I would have to stay in room without AC (yes, right!) even if our booking clearly included AC.

Then I complained about the mosquitos and the spider. The receptionist told me that it was weird to find a spider since "they usually try to keep them out of the rooms" (not "them" note "try"). Then he offered to give me something to kill the spider myself but he then was not able to find any tool which might fit the purpose. So basically he told me that I should have stayed in the hot-n-spidery room and then check with the reception people on the next day.

My feeling was that since it was very late (it was almost 1am) the guy thought we did not have any other option and we would accept anything.

But he was wrong. We decided that eventually the car was a better place and we left the hotel. In an hour we finally found a clean and decent room.

The next day I called Expedia complaining.

They were very nice, they refunded everything I paid.

I would rather sleep in a carton box than come back to this hotel!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty room, no AC even if paid for it, spider in the room, unavailability of front desk to help with the spider issue
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Slovak first

Been to Memphis Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Memphis Beach Hotel

Address: Kolymbia Beach, Kolimbia 85103, Greece
Location: Greece > Dodecanese > Rhodes > Kolimbia
Bar / Lounge Beach Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Swimming Pool
#10 On the Beach Hotel in Kolimbia
Hotel Class:3 star — Memphis Beach Hotel 3*
Memphis Beach Hotel is a 3 star hotel.The Hotel is situated 23 km from "Diagoras" airport and 20 minutes from Rhodes city center. The hotel comprises 116 rooms, studios, family rooms and suites situated in 2-3 level buildings. Whether your visit us for business, education, or pleasure, we are very pleased that you are staying with us. Our goal is to make your experience here pleasant and comfortable. The ideal location of Hotel allows you to experience the flavour of Rhodes, while providing you the opportunity to explore the surrounding areas. Our friendly staff will always be happy to provide additional information on local services, shopping, activities and nearby attractions at your request.. All rooms offer spectacular marble bathroom with bathtub, LCD Flat Screen TV with satellite connection individually controlled air-conditioning, soundproof windows, wireless connection to the Internet. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Memphis Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Memphis Hotel Kolimbia
Memphis Beach Hotel Rhodes, Greece

If you own or manage Memphis Beach Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.