“Horrendous - reasons why below” 1 of 5 stars

Forum Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferenikis Street, Ialyssos 85101, Greece   |
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Ialyssos
London, United Kingdom
“Horrendous - reasons why below”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We (family of 5) booked a week's stay at Forum Beach Hotel in Aug 2013. I had read some poor reviews so was a bit apprehensive about the trip, but as it was last minute, we bit the bullet and went for it seeing as some people had also provided positive feedback. Firstly, I've no idea what kind of service/accommodation these people who have given high ratings to this hotel are accustomed to...

- No amenities in the room. Not even hand wash/soap which is absolutely disgusting. You will literally have to buy everything there (soap, shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc.) so go prepared. If not, guess what, they have a shop which they can sell it to you for premium prices.

- I suppose we should be grateful that they provide towels. Beware these will only be changed intermittently and perhaps only if you're hovering above the cleaners asking for fresh towels. On that note, cleanliness is NOT a priority for this hotel. The bath was not cleaned once, despite our pleas. Bed linens only changed if you catch the cleaner. The only thing they did really was mop the floor - a given since you end up getting sand everywhere anyway.

- Food - pretty dire. There were occasional decent things on the menu, but it was generally pretty awful and repetitive. Good if you want to lose a few pounds as you end up not eating much of it. Judging by the amount of food wasted, i think other people felt the same. The drinks were also really horrible. Not even watered down, just tasted horrible. Not to mention the queues...

- Reception staff - I found these people to be most unhelpful. They seemed to be on some kind of pedestal, looking down on you. To exemplify, we asked them various questions about things we could do near the hotel, but they didn't know ANYTHING. I asked if we could get a ferry/boat from Rhodes town to Lindos, the lady smirked and told me, 'I don't know but if you say there is, there must be!' - it's remarkable they know so little about an island they live on. On our penultimate day, the cleaner told us about Captain's tour company (short walk away) which organises tours around the island. It proved to be quite useful because otherwise you'll end up spending a lot of money getting around.

- TV. I can see from other reviews people had 3 channels, we only had one which was on loop (news), terrible for the kids. The tv was really old fashioned.

- Beds - possibly one of the worst beds. Just so hard.

- Hidden charges - wifi is EUR50/week, beach towel (you'll need to hire these), safe (EUR 50/week) - never had to pay to use a safe that was in the room & not being used, to make matters worse, our door didn't always lock!! Air con (EUR 50/week), late checkout (chargeable)... it just goes on. They will rinse you out in every way they can. Left luggage is literally a room where you take your bags...

- Hotel seems to be geared for the Germans and Russians. Most of their tour infos were in those languages too.

Positives
- Jacob the bellboy was nice and helpful as was Coco the entertainer.
- the stone baked pizza was edible but queues are very long.

This hotel is not a 4 star by any stretch of the imagination. It's a old tired establishment that it falling apart. I would suggest staying somewhere else. Never have I been so relieved to leave a hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend went to the forum beach on the 31st of July. I had read some bad Reviews but my boyfriend just said some people might be fussy, lets hope everything will be okay for us. We arrived at 1.45 in the morning to find out that there was no room under our name. I had rung up numerous of times before our holiday to check everything was in place and they said everything was. Obviously not!! I had ALL the paper work that they sent me Confirming the dates times, the room that had been booked, everything was in black and white right in front of him but he said there was nothing booked. we had booked a Superior room at the front of the hotel with a sea view which of course we were not getting. I then asked what on earth is going to happen and he said I have only one room at the back of the hotel. Room 910! He said come back half 9.30 tomorrow and you will have your room (we didnt get out room) It was half 2 when he gave us a room to stay in for the night and it was terrbile. we walked in and the lights wouldn't turn on. It was like a Sauna in there. the aircon didn't work and the doors wouldn't open eaither. after half an hour the lights turned on and we saw what we were sleeping in that night. the bed was not made, 2 doors had punch marks in them and the taps wouldn't work. I didn't sleep the whole time I was in that room and at that time I was not staying at that hotel. I had read about towels being on sun beds in the morning. Well that's right. I got my boyfriend up at half 6 and said we are leaving now. As we walked out into the pool side EVERY sun bed was gone. who on earth got up that early and did that? So me and my boyfriend sat on a wall till half 9. 9.30 came along and nida came in. Was she walked into Reception and looked stunned when she saw lots of families and couples waiting for rooms they didn't have. she came straight over to me and asked what the problem was and then she smiled and said I will do something very special for you, I will move you to a different hotel. At that point I thought maybe something good will come to this holiday. She told me about it and that it was a sister hotel down the road. It was called the Residents hotel. It was an adults hotel so there would be no children running around and it was alinclusive with no extra charge. I talked to my boyfriend and we both said yes. nida kindly took us in her car in the new hotel and it was beautiful. we were given Champagne as we walked in then we got taken on a tour of the hotel. the only problem was that we couldn't get out room ill 2 in the after noon as people needed to check out and it had to be cleaned. But we didn't car we were just glad to be out of the forum beach. the days went on and we had a lovely time. Breakfast was the best week of the day. Lunch wasn't great but you got served nice pizza at the pool. Dinner was okay but could of been a little better. the drinks were fine. Yes watered down but that's what you get everywhere. the pool and bar was clean and every morning I saw the maid cleaning the side pool. the hot tubes where always clean and so where the rooms. The entertainment was a little poor but I suppose you make a night what you want it to be. you are close to the shops. Me and my boyfriend went walking everyday to the shops and it was a lovely walk. We went to roads town 3 times and it was stunning. The buss stop it only up the road. €2.40 for a buss, which it very good as it takes you right to the centre of old roads town. So over all a nice holiday. me and my boyfriend might go back there but not in a hurry.
Last little thing. the last 2 days we had been there the hotel started to get really busy. We talked to the only English family there and they said the same thing. how they are over booking at the forum beach and they don't have any rooms so they are sending them over hear. so everyone reading this please please don't waste your money there!

• Stayed July 2013
Cambridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is not at all as advertised on it's website; I would have been more than happy had I been given a room and service as advertised but no...and don't get me wrong I have been to Greece numerous times and do understand that there star rating differs from the UK. On arrival I was given room 902 - on arrival to my room at the back of the complex I was disgusted to what I found to be nothing like the pictures of the lovely rooms online. There is no way the room was even a 2*!. There were mouse droppings over the bathroom and bedroom floor, a toilet brush that had seen better days, the bathroom was rusty and dirty with so much lime scale I am surprised the water would come out! The TV (satellite tv!) had a plug hanging off the wall, the front cover missing and the cover for the remote, there were 3 channels...The plugs were stained from ? nicotine or ?heat. I returned to reception to inform them that this is not what I had been lead to believe I was purchasing when I booked my holiday. I was told that I could pay extra to upgrade to a room as seen on the website, or be moved to a near by adult only hotel when a room became available. So I sat and waited in reception, surprisingly a room available and I was taken up the road to the Residence...no hairdryer, no iron, no wi fi, no on site food service - a total fraud of advertising if you ask me ! The food (over the road in a hot stuffy room) was the same each day, nothing Greek on the menu, I am not fussy with food but it was cold and tasteless with no variety, if you are a veggie you would be stuffed! Full of Russian speaking guests and staff - two nights with no water for a shower "not our problem but the town" is the reason I was given. The air conditioning was in the room hall way not the bedroom the curtains were all falling off the rail, despite me asking for them to be repaired, TV in the lounge area missing from the wall, and on my last day I was still waiting for the people with the iron to return it so that I could use it - they "were on an excursion and it would be bought to me on there return" a 7 day excursion - clearly a couple with some sense to have got out of this hell hole !!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Went to the Forum Hotel to meet a party of 21 friends to find a lovely clean and modern lobby and a friendly reception staff and bell boy .... Then had to carry all the cases up to the top floor (superior rooms as had read previous reviews about rooms) as the lift was broken (got fixed just before we came home)! Dumped the suitcases to go and meet our friends and had to queue for 20 minutes for a drink which I thought was quite bad as only 2 bar staff working but according to our friends this was good as they had been waiting 30 -40 minutes and was only allowed to ask for 2 drinks each and that included children's drinks and even water!!!!!! Bar closed at 11pm prompt even if you had been in a queue for 20 mins onwards!!!
Breakfast was probably the best meal of the day if you we're up at 7 am otherwise you could find it hard not to have to queue yet again for about 30 mins for either pancakes or fried eggs!! BUT if you wanted both you could be told to join the other queue for another 30 mins and again can only get food for 1 person even if it was for a child!!! Not good if the parent had to queue twice over and the kids not big enough to carry a plate start running riot in the dining room! As for tables the restaurant manager let us have a table outside for 28 of us every night so that we could all be together and as the evening food was not at all good for kids we were also allowed to order chips for the kids.....so for a whole 2 weeks the kids ate chips!!! Oh and if they wanted pizza at the pool bar 1hour and 30 mins!!! Tasted good but they would wouldn't they after waiting that long!!! Not quite sure WHY on earth instead of making individual pizza's why can't they just make a whole load of big ones and slice them!!!
Tested out the Gym and OH MY GOD!!! Absolute hell hole and death trap!! It was closed the first day and when I asked when it would be open my friend an I were just laughed !! When it did open there were exposed wires all over a broken wooden floor and all the equipment was actually rusty and broken!!! Went on the runner and nearly ended up being slung off as no buttons worked and couldn't jump onto the sides as they were broken too!! As for the bike...omg!!!
Forum Beach has a lovely sister Hotel up the road where they offer a free upgrade (if you have no kids) as soon as you walk through the door!!! Went and had a look and same again!! Omg!! But for all the wrong reasons.....a sister hotel where all the money is spent!!! If you want a good all inclusive holiday where they offer all inclusive facility's and you want to spend another grand on drinks and food outside of the hotel and a kids club where they just let the kids leave even if they are 3yrs old and have to walk past 3 swimming pools then go ahead and have a holiday to remember!! Have so much more that I could say but thankfully there was 28 of us and we all laughed together and made the most of it but Never again at the Forum Beach Hotel!!!

Room Tip: Have to have superior or above or cry!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited from17/7 to 2/8 2 adults and 4 children.check in was smooth, front reception staff were very helpful Jacob the bell boy excellent, the room was spacious and with a nice pool view.altough it's officially a 4 star in my humble opinion a 3 at best, the staff work tirelessly in all areas of the hotel mr petros in the restaurant, mihail at the w bar,roxy and Lina on the front desk,Monica in charge of the chambermaids the animation team Dana Gabriel and coco,Fotis fantastic at the supermarket ( very reasonable prices) all expertly managed by Nadia and Yiannis.The hotel needs updating and is not far off being a decent hotel, give it a chance and have a great holiday,we certainly did!

• Stayed July 2013
Petrosani, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It is a gorgeous hotel and the service is even better The staff is always friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the time spent here and I will definitely return. Truly breathtaking! The beach is clean, the pools were great, lots of lounges. So I'm told by my friends that were there in June 2013 and this made me curious so I can't wait to visit this place next month!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Deva, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The arrival and booking was very good and my room was ready on arrival which was very pleasing.
The food is really exceptional with plenty of variety. I enjoyed my stay very much.
The Staff who always smiling, happy and helpful and they were always busy to keep the hotel clean and tidy. Towel is changed daily, bedding every other day and the little Creation's left on your bed each day was a special touch which made all the difference. The location is very nice, the sea and the pools are great. The Entertainment was very good.
Is easy access to the city with taxis and buses, many restaurants and few shopping centres.
I would definitely recommend a stay here and I would go back again.
I am ready for my next holiday!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Forum Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!