“Read this: NOT ALL INCLUSIVE” 3 of 5 stars

Blue Bay Beach Hotel
Ialyssos Beach, Ialyssos 85101, Greece   |
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Ialyssos
Reading
“Read this: NOT ALL INCLUSIVE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Paid £2500 for an All inclusive week from 21st August for 2 Adults and 2 children. We were prepared to spend a day out of the Hotel sightseeing and had a budget for this. However we were not prepared to pay for two nights Entertainment at 18 euro each. We paid it because there was no alternative entertainment. However other families were negoting with their children "You can go tonight, or to the Beach party but you cannot have both". First Choice need to sort this out - its not fair to be fully inclusive and then have to find money for what should be deemed included in this package.

Apart from this, you get used to the Aeroplanes overhead, the food was OK and the staff were excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Doha
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

I swear that if I ever hear this song again, I will be looking for the nearest railway bridge.
The Blue Bay's nightly entertainment is a good place to start when writing a review about this Hotel.
14 nights of torturous 'entertainment', which is all you need after eating bland food and undrinkable local wine in a steaming hot restaurant.
Billy and Baboo, who head up the 'entertainment' team, kick off every night at 8.30, the first hour is a kids disco. This features the pre mentioned 'mimic man' and other classics such as the wonderful Birdie song. 10 songs, same order , every night.
Oh ! I lie. Monday night is a very special night.
For an extra 38 Euros, for my Wife and 3 Daughters, we decided to try the Hotel's Greek night. It sounded very exciting, Greek food and entertainment. Apart from a bbq'd goat or something similar, the food was the same. My Wife, now desperate for a drinkable glass of wine ordered a bottle equally undrinkable local wine (an extra 18 euro), as we eagerley awaited the show. The Fakir sprung on to the stage with his assistant. They looked familliar. Yes, youv'e guessed it , Billy and Baboo !
What Joy , What a rip off !
Going back to the other 6 nights of 'entertainment' , this is a mixture of slapstick and very poor taste genitallia jokes. Considering there were around 200 children sitting at the front of the stage, I really could not fathom where Billy and Baboo were coming from. Neither could my by now, emotionally disturbed Daughters.
The Gym. If the 'entertainment' didn't make me laugh, the gym certainly did !
Only open between 3 and 5, and you have to book a half hour slot. I arrived for my 3.30 slot at 3.28, the gym was empty as I attempted to switch on the broken running machine.
'Excuse me' , the sour faced attendant shouted. ' you are early for your appointment, please wait ! ' There I was sat in an empty gym looking at the attendant for 3 minutes while she watched the clock painfully reaching the allotted time. Bizarre.
The Sunbeds. 500 sunbeds, 1000 people, say no more.
I may sound bitter, but I am not. My Girls had a great time, as much ice cream as they could eat , and they loved the smaller 'poo free' swimming pool.
We were also lucky to have one of the few larger rooms, with a huge balcony on the corner of the Hotel. (if you still feel like booking after my review, see if you can get room 20.)
However, this was advertised as a 5 star Hotel. It is not even a 4 star.
It is neither all inclusive, the Greek night and the sunbeds on the beach are not free, unless you have the right colour wristband. I cannot even go into the complexities of having the right colour of wristband.
All in all a good holiday, mainly because we took the 20 minute bus ride into Rhodes every other day.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I have travelled many of the Greek Islands over the years but, taking teenagers for the first time, I booked into a hotel. Having never stayed "all inclusive" before i was very impressed and pleased by the whole experience. We arrived at the impressive reception of the Blue Bay only to be told we were staying at the nearby Sunland blocks. After our initial disappointment with the somewhat tired looking buildings we went to our rooms and found them immaculately clean, comfortable and, thankfully, air conditioned. We were still a little envious of those staying at The Blue Bay until a number of families started to arrive at the Sunland having asked to leave Blue Bay because of the cattle market manner in which they were treated. Nothing could have been more different at Sunland. The relaxed nature of the place, the fantastic staff and the feeling that you really were guests rather than mere paying customers was tangible. At this point I must single out the fantastic Julia in reception, Micha the eccentric barman and the entire dining room team led by an ever smiling and cheerful manager for praise - they could not do enough for us! Yes the planes can be a bit noisy but you don't really notice them after a couple of days, yes it is a little remote but the bus stop is a five-minute walk away and the cabs are efficient and work on a fixed price, and yes the evenings can be a little quiet unless you like The Birdy Song sung in Czech by the Animation Team. What was particularly good for us with relatively young teenagers was that we were far enough removed from the teenage excess and 18-30 type of resort but it was only a 15 minute (24Euros) cab ride to Faliraki and all the entertainment/Waterpark etc. Overall both my teenagers and I loved the experience and are already asking to go back next year.

Surbiton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We arrived mid afternoon and were told the hotel was overbooked we were shipped off to another hotel and told we would need to stay there for 5days and return with 2 days to go of our holiday.They had said we could stay the whole time at the other hotel if we wanted but changed their minds later.
When we returned those 2 days were a nightmare.The deluxe bit is the same hotel just the main building.It is sold as 5* but clearly says 4* in front of it when you arrive.The family room had 1 air conditioner for the main room but not even a fan in the other room.Even that one ac was not working and i spent the night on the balcony on a sun bed as it was cooler!!! We had a child of 22 and another of 14 with us so even if the one ac was working it would have been difficult to leave the door open all night.
The food was poor quality with too much salt,little variety and watered down drinks.not much to do except sunbathe.Their much touted waterpark has 2 working slides
Looking on the bright side we did have 5 wonderful days at the very high standard hotel we were shipped off too-imagine we could have been stuck at the Blue bay so called Deluxe for the whole 7days!!! There is definitely a God up there!!!!!!
Toyin -Surrey

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

We've been back three days now since our one week stay at the Blue Bay Village in Rhodes. I booked in a bit of a panic about 10 days before departure so only read the reviews post booking and was really concerned about what we would find on arrival.
Flights and transfers worked reasonably well but you do end up sitting around the airport waiting for other travellers. A private taxi transfer at the airport costs 11 euros to this hoteland with a family is cheaper that 8 euros per person and no hanging around. Taxis have fixed rates in Rhodes and you won't be ripped off by a bandit with a light on top. You arrive at the Blue Bay "Deluxe" reception which appears to in a permenat state of organised chaos! We were not the oly people to be told that due to overbooking we wouldn't be staying in the Deluxe and would be in another hotel over the road but in the village. This was pretty much as I expected and no amount of negotiation will change thi. Wome other holidaymakers were being moved to another complex completely but were told they would be picked up by taxi daily and brought to this complex.
The Sunland, is about a five minute walk past the water park from the main hotel. It is clearly an older and slightly shabby building but is relatively clean and more personal than the HUGE Blue bay hotel. The roms are small for two adults and two kids with a temporary bed being added after we suggested that we might all need one bed each. The bathroom is tiny, sad and old but functional. No Shaver point. Clean towels and bed linen. Old television. Very efficient and "free" Air-Con. Small restaurant with limited buffet style meals but a small terrace seating area made it for us and tables are easy to find. We tried the Blue Bay Hotel buffet one night and it was like a scrum with hundreds of guests, all fighting for tables and food. It was hot and uncomfortable so we didn't bother again. Perhaps the food was a bit better but not worth the hassle.
Several pools with no supervision but guests were left to keep some order themselves. A lot of boistrousness etc but all quite good natured. The pools at the Sunland were again old and sad but the kids loved them.
Entertainment we sort of Butlins level with the Animation team working hard in very hot conditions. Evening show were enjoyed by our kids and certain guests but are not my thing so its not fair for me to comment. The problem is you're about a twenty minute walk from anywhere so youare pretty stuck for alternatives to the hotel offerings.
As mentioned in other reviews All Inclusive varies depending on your braclet colour ranging from pink to VIP. You'll find out what you can and can't get if yu get there. It's a bit complex!
The water park consists of seven slides in operation and one out of service. Theyy tried to charge us but we pointed out that we were entitled to use the park in our bookings and were not asked again.
The planes can be a big problem. Nothing, unless you live next door to an airport can prepare you for the noise. As on several nights there are flights landing a 2am, you really think they are going to land in the room. During the day you are not so disturbed by it but at night.... Be warned it can be very very noisy.
The kids enjoyed it so that was the difference between being very disappointed and resigning oneself to this kind of holiday and looking forward to the days when we can go on a different type of trip.
One final note. The staff n the Sunland do their best in a difficult situation and thanks to Julia the "Shirley Valentine" receptionist for all her help.

Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

We paid not short of £5000.00 for this holiday and booked it as a splash resort from 'First Choice'. When we got there things looked good but it was midnight. However, when we went down to breakfast at around 8.30 - 8.45 it was a scramble. We realised that there was very little English people there and the breakfast was served in a quite small taverna not a restuarant like we were used to. It was crazy, alot of hussle and bussle, and we had to keep a constant eye on the kids to who were sat at a table to ensure we secured one!!!! We then found that it seemed to be okay to push, shuff yourself around the small serving place to get your breakfast, and then wait for a clean cup for a cup of tea/coffee......but hey just when you get a cup you have to battle against (sorry for the rudeness here!) the foreigners to get in the queue for the 2 tea/coffee machines (for over 1000 guests) for whatever you want, oh and then your breakfast has gone cos it's gone cold!!!!!! It was like this constantly, breakfast, lunch, evening meal, which was more than a joke. The hotel recommends you go after 8.00 so what do you know.....every one does, there's a bloody queue a mile long and again you have to battle against rude people to get you meal, the waiter service is either they take your plate before you finish eating, or they leave it for ages depending on when you sit. There is no air condition in the restuarant. Even the service staff are dripping with sweat which is not attractive when you are eating your meal!!!!! The staff themselves are completely miserable, they have no idea how to smile at all and can come across as quite aggressive. I did spend most of my holidays trying to be helpful by clearing our mess, but after a very rude aggressive waiter informed me my Son had spilt his drink on 'purpose' thought balls to them!!! I would never be treated like that in England. The sunbeds are joke you have to be up by at least 5.00 in the morning to get one by the pool and then it is jam packed so a waste of time. They are not locked up or collected together nor is there a time allocated when you can get sunbeds, and the BIGGEST problems is there is SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH SUNBEDS for the hotel!!!!!! The splash park is not clean the water was yellow upon arrival and stained all our clothes, however the life guards are completely on the ball so well done them, but it opens at 10.00 and closes at 16.50 instead of 17.00 then everyone is out! I am seriously disappointed in this hotel and it's not worth the money we have paid. It's the simple things that could have made the holiday that have failed, and if you don't mind rude, arrogant people then you'll have a ball. Unfortunately I'm a polite person who doesn 't like pushing in, who will sorry if I think I've knocked into someone, or pushed in or done something wrong but this hotel DOES NOT CATER FOR NICE PEOPLE!!!!! NEVER EVER AGAIN WOULD I COME HERE, NOR WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE HAVE BOOKED WITH FIRST CHOICE AND RECOMMEND THAT FIRST CHOICE TAKE THIS OUT OF THE BROCHURE!!!!! IT'S SHOCKING, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO SOMEWHERE YOU WILL BE APPRECIATED.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Have returned from Blue bay full of lovely memories, the food was okay ish, childrens menu very limited, (but makes a change from british food) and tour operators did omit to mention the "being on the flight path" part, but you get used to this after first couple of days, and waterpark was overrated and we could barely stretch out 2 hours there, but the definate plus side to this hotel was the fantastic entertainment team, they work so hard day and night to provide the activities and really get to know you so you feel so much more comfortable to join in and you can't stop smiling around them (Billy, Babou, Dex you know who you are !!!), my children (age 4 and 7) absolutely loved the children's club and we had to drag them out of there at closing time(Thank you Danny) and both my husband and I loved joining in all activities, even if we were hopeless at it !!!
Would love to revisit this hotel again next year.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Blue Bay Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!