“If you dont mind a budget holiday then this is your place!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Bay Beach Hotel

You added Blue Bay Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Bay Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ialyssos Beach, Ialyssos 85101, Greece   |
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Ialyssos
Nottingham
“If you dont mind a budget holiday then this is your place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Arrived on 29th May 2013, after paying for a seaview family room, we were told that we were upgraded to a Bungalow with pool!!! Wow i thought at first it felt quite excited to see our room, so after a trek across the complex and it was the furthest away from the hotel we arrived, first thought it didnt look too bad, nice quiet location then we stepped in, first room by the door had 2 single beds and in the back room which had no windows it was dark and gloomy we had a double bed in this room and wardrobes, it felt like we had arrived in a dark bunker! firstly i didnt like the thought of our two boys being near the patio doors or by the door to go straight out to a pool which one of my little boys couldnt swim! was ment to have hairdrier, mini fridge, and tea and coffee in the room, which we had none! hotel said they only offer to other holiday companies, made us quite mad as our next door foreign neighbour had all these facilities a stocked mini fridge and dressing towels and slippers, they had a table cloth on their table we had nothing like, made you feel mad because everyone who stays at this hotel should get treated the same! Breakfast Awful! Dining room is noisy, you get shoved and people pushed in front of you with no manners! food mostly caters for european families, i lived on salad and feta cheese which for 7 days lunch and tea i got sick of it! not much choice for kids either just pasta and chicken nuggets. Drinks at all inclusive apart from beer and water they were not good taste like medicine, bar staff were great thou, they worked so hard and not enough staff in restaurant or bar, sometimes queued at night for 25 mins! for a drink. Our private pool became smelly after the first day we arrived and it looked like there was sewerage and smelled like it too in the pool, for the whole 7 day duration we were not able to use it as it was contaminated! I would not go back to this hotel purely because its so dated, beds are like rock (no joke) not enough staff, food very basic but edible, probably the worst all inclusive i have been to in europe. There were loads of stray dogs too, not good as at times there was dog mess on the grass and places and they were running all around the hotel complex, why havent the hotel done something about this, i love dogs but its cruel they have been just chucked out on the streets, they have no life, surely in this day and age their would be a animal shelter to help them. We made the best of our holiday, but we will never return, there is not much to do outside of the hotel, i will say though the staff are lovely, and work tirelessly.

Room Tip: The bungalows are in a nice quiet spot, but watch out for sewerage in your pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Thank goodness for you people on TripAdvisor, I thought it was just me being a hideous snob about this place! Nice to know there are other opinions out there that back me up. We stayed here ages ago (unfortunately pre TripAdvisor). We were sold it as being the same standard as a hotel we stayed in in Tunisia. What a laugh (actually, no it wasn't, I cried). We paid for half board at a 5* hotel. What we got was a hotel full of louts with a dirty 'canteen' instead of the anticipated restaurant where once you found somewhere vaguely clean to sit and believe me that was harder than you'd imagine, there were dirty plates and cutlery left at all the tables, the 'waitress' then arrived and proceeded to scrape plates AT THE TABLE! I was nearly sick. We ended up eating out for EVERY meal, it cost an arm and a leg on top of the holiday. We made friends with a local couple who ran a taverna and he said that not a week goes by without the police being called at least once.

Another taverna owner asked his daughters what we were talking to them about and where we were staying. He actually said 'you don't stay there, you are nice people, you are polite to my daughters'!

The room was on the top floor and at times it sounded as though planes were landing on the roof. Every day (and night) there were unsupervised children running up and down the corridors, banging on doors, yelling and shouting. They 'played' with the lift so that it ended up getting stuck between floors with an unfortunate man still in it. For all I know he's still there as no - one seemed especially bothered about either the stuck lift or its victim. The room was dirty and the sheets were stained, The bathroom had mold between the tiles - lovely. Your own dirt is bad enough but other people's - eeuugghh!

When we complained to our rep we were told that it was advertised as a large, family friendly hotel. Not in the brochure we had - which we showed her. When I asked to be moved somewhere else she said 'no, everywhere is full' and promptly began telling us what it is about kids that she doesn't like. The kids weren't the problem, give them sunshine and a swimming pool and they are happy. She just couldn't understand what we were so upset about.

I would have given this place no rating at all but the people at TripAdvisor are obviously nicer and more generous than me!

Avoid this place at all costs. Also had to select a date but as I said earlier my holiday was pre TripAdvisor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have just returned home from an 8 day all inclusive holiday and was pleasantly surprised! After reading some of the previous reviews, was feeling a bit worried and thought that the hotel would be shabby and food awful but found this to not be the case at all!

First of all, the spacious room was nice and clean, with maid service every day bar Sundays. ALL of the staff were friendly and helpful. Of all of the places I have visited, I found staff at this hotel the friendliest.

People complaining about the food... well, if you want chips then stay in England. I found the choice really good, maybe a little repetitive, but there was at least 5 new dishes every day and some obvious 'regulars'. I liked this because one of my children had a favourite dish!

The animation team work really hard and we all enjoyed the entertainment programme! I was disappointed when they had a day off but you can't expect them to work 7 days a week can you!

My youngest went to the mini club lots of times and really loved it. It kept him out of the sun a bit, broke his days up and enabled him to make lots of new friends that he thoroughly enjoyed playing with.

Staff aren't all over the pretty women, they are obviously there to do their job, which I liked!

We broke the holiday up by sight seeing one day and staying at the hotel the next otherwise we may have been a bit bored. If you visit, you can just walk up to the main road to catch a bus into Rhodes. It cost 8.80 euros for a family of four one way. Visit the walled town and acropolis, it is amazing. Also, we rented a car for a day and travelled to Lindos... AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL, you have got to see it. Went to the acropolis there too! Car hire is 25 euros for one day and you can rent for up to 3 days for 60 euros from manolis inside the hotel. We didn't shop around, you may get it cheaper. Driving here is pretty easy, roads are nice and simple with no mad drivers!

Water park is really good too. It is now open 10-5 because it's main season. There's just enough to do there and it's not too big that you lose sight of your children.

The planes... yes the hotel is on the flight path and they come really low but I really loved seeing them! I didn't mind it at all!

So basically, if you are a bit fussy with really high expectations, then maybe it isn't the hotel for you but I would definitely recommend this hotel for families with young children. I was really impressed and would definitely visit again!

Room Tip: We had a sea view room, lovely sunsets and sunrises!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on 19/4/13 for 7 nights all inclusive with my boyfriend.
Lovely looking hotel no more than 10 mins away from the airport & short bus ride to the lovely Rhodes town.
Shown to our room on check in. Good sized room - but our bed was 2 single beds pushed together (we thought that was just how it was until one of our last nights when our newly found friends informed us they had a real double bed!!) uncomfortable but if you drink enough vodka you can just about tolerate it. Unless of course they RUN OUT OF VODKA! Yes folks they ran out of vodka... The 'paying bar' had vodka... But AI did not! After talking to the manager he agreed to give me 2 drinks but that was all until the following day! It was only 4 in the afternoon!
Defo recommend frozen cocktails. Not on AI but only €3 on happy hour.
For our final 4 days... The hotel got busier & busier. The quality of food went down & down. (First 3 days had fantastic food!!) we had befriended 5 other couples whilst at this hotel & atleast 1 of every couple was sick!
Staff are very pleasant! Working very very long hours!
Had a problem with our bathroom which was resolved almost immediately.
Room service on a Sunday consists of throwing a toilet roll in the bathroom... Maids don't work Sundays?!?! Crazy!!!
Groundsmen don't like you moving sunbeds either... We were demanded to move ours back from out the shade...
Animation team were pretty funny.
No free wifi was very annoying! €50 for a week of wifi!!
The place is what you make of it. If you look for the problems... You're going to find them. It was a great value for money hotel but I will not be staying again.

• Stayed April 2013
bognor regis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel was very spacious and very clean, always someone cleaning all day.
I went with all my family 11 of us including my great grandchild of 18 months. The accommodation worked out well sharing family rooms. The double bed was a bit lumpy but I had it to myself so slept in the middle. There was a cot already in the room and room was very clean.
The first week wasn't as busy as the first so the restaurant wasn't as crowded but we still found a table big enough to seat us all, if we were all down together!! There was always plenty of choice at every meal and could never come away hungry!! The desserts were always wonderful!! The staff were always very obliging and catered for our needs. The Animation team were great, very caring especially towards children,something going on most of the day, kids mini disco at 8.30 pm and adult entertainment at 9.30.pm Billy and Dexter who organised darts, water polo, miniature golf etc during the day and the girls organised ladies water aerobics and gymnastics and the kids mini disco. I recommend the Greek Night which is usually on a Tuesday evening, the food multiple choice as well as all the barbecue meats, and ofcourse the desserts!! but the best part of the evening for me was Billy's act. I will not tell you what it involves, see for yourself, but he is amazing. We were there for two weeks and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a special treat by me for all the family for private reasons and would love for us all to go back someday, but ofcourse depending on the financial side of things for the family. If Billy you read this, thank you again for everything you made my holiday.

Room Tip: Our rooms were at the back facing the mountains and watching the planes going into land was great...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have just come back from a weeks holiday yesterday. We booked before reading any reviews and I was a bit worried about what we'd find. We went as a family if 4, myself, hubby, our 14 year old son and 6 year old daughter. To be fair some of the negative comments on here are justified however we still had a great week away. The hotel is advertised as being in the flight path of the airport so was no surprise and didn't bother us at all. We had non trouble checking in, staff were friendly and room was what I'd expect from a Greek hotel, ours was a spacious but basic 2 bedroom, 1 with a double and the other with 2 sofa beds. Beds were perfectly comfortable, basic bathroom but clean and had a decent shower over the bath, handy to have fridge in room to store water etc. Nice balcony overlooking the watermark and the mountains. View around is fairly standard of Greece so a bit confused over what some people writing reviews were expecting. Biggest issue for us was lack on air con, the hotel will not switch is on until July baring in mind the temperature got up to mid 30's last week the lack of air con did make for some uncomfortable nights sleep. Beach is rocky but I think that's because of the side of the island the hotel is on, my daughter loved collecting stones and having a walk along. Pools are nice, the bigger entertainment pool has plenty of sun beds, and entertainment staff are lovely, they do various games and aerobics etc during the day but don't pressurise you to take part like some hotels. Kids club is run by the lovely Jenna and runs from 10-12 and 3-5 every day but Thursday. Mini disco every evening at 830 which the little ones loved. To be fair the food isn't. As good as other AI hotels we've been to especially in Turkey but you couldn't go hungry. Breakfast was good with big selection from pastrys to cooked breakfast, lunch had large selection if hot and cold dishes including gyros in flat bread and wedges which were delicious, good selection of puddings too, sometimes dinners was a bit random with things such as stir fried liver! But there were at least 12 hot dishes so always something you'd eat. AI drinks a but of a let down, beer was good and white wine drinkable but sorts drinks were cheap and their idea of diet coke was half a glass coke topped with soda, which made me chuckle. I bought diet coke at shop about 1.50 for a large bottle and had that. The Iris bar which is not AI was lovely and the cocktails to due for, happy hour is 7pm til 8 and cocktails are half price at 3 euros. Well worth paying for especially the monitors which I sampled a few of :)
Parts of the hotel are a bit shabby and the pool bar could do with a re-vamp and somewhere else to eat especially lunchtime would be a bonus. But all in all we had a good time. I probably wouldn't choose to go back but we have never returned to the same hotels again even when it's been amazing as there's so many places to go. My son did miss his WIFI and the hotels in mega expensive but the Ideal bar just up the road next to the supermarket has free WIFI so when he needed a fix we had a wander and treated ourselves to a kids cocktail and a caraf of rosé :). If you have booked I wouldn't worry about the reviews but I would request a fan on arrival.

Room Tip: Bungalows with private pools look lovely, but family rooms more than ok for a holiday stay
Ringwood, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We arrived about lunchtime, to find our 2bed room ready and clean- overlooking the Water Park and towards the mountains... Had a spot of lunch in the very busy Restaurant which was edible!
After first night of interrupted sleep in the lumpy beds and cardboard walls, noisy guests, howling stray dogs and low flying aircraft- hotel is on the flight path. Decided that we had to drink more alcohol the following night to sleep!!! We were AI, so drank local lager and wine... which were tolerable...
Ate out 5 nights out of the 7 as food is part of the holiday experience! And the choice of food in the hotel was very much repeated and no chips for the kids....
The pool and patio areas were never hosed down, after a week- under foot got very sticky and grubby!! The basic waterpark was only open 10 till 2 and not much shade available- also only 1 attendant, who was not really there! If you know what I mean...The joins of the flumes had big gaps and hurt you back- Health&Safety didn't exist!!!!
Not a lot to do in the area, couple of Ok eateries and bars... The beach was mainly shingle and stoney. You had to watch where you were walking, saw broken glass!
Take care when walking around the complex as the stray dogs just seem to do their business and it doesn't get removed!! Air conditioning is only available during July/Aug- we complained and were given a fan... Overall not worthy of 4*, and wouldn't recommend to friends- very disappointed!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Blue Bay Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!