“hotel Silvia!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 121 Hotels in Rhodes Town
durham
“hotel Silvia!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This hotel is called Silvia and located in Rhodes Town as the address states so why do people write reports about a hotel called Sivila which is situated in another part of Rhodes, Afandou i think.
This is a nice little 2 star hotel which is clean and has nice staff.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

positives- room was clean but basic. pool area fair there were plenty of sunbeds. most of the staff were helpful & friendly but were mostly from albania so you will be disappointed if you were expecting greeks! the management were rude & unhelpful. mainly polish/german guests who were ignorant unless confronted. constant loud repetitive music playing. all spirits watered down & the plastic beakers you were given to drink from made you feel like a child. if you come to rhodes you will have a fab time just do not stay at the sivila (fawlty towers). best thing for this hotel is to close it

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Bordentown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Located just outside of the Rhodes old city walls (just a 5-10 minute walk along a beautiful, shaded pine forested park to the fort city itself), Silvia Hotel appears to be a converted apartment building in a nice, safe part of town. It has about 7-8 floors, and has a very nicely decorated, clean lobby. The rooms themselves are spacious and clean, but they do have old plumbing in the bathrooms and that may put off American tourists who are used to septic tanks that are considerably newer than many of their European counterparts. Nothing terribly disruptive, mind you, but don't be surprised if your bathroom isn't completely odorless. This isn't unique to this hotel at this price point.

Having said that, however, what makes this hotel really stand out is the wonderful hospitality and above-and-beyond service of the family who runs this hotel. The lady at the front desk (I forget her name, only that it means 'liberty' in Greek!), who speaks very competent English, helped us sort out the horrid situation with our ferry to Fethiye. The ferry company is a whole another sordid story, but she was quick to pick up the phone and call Turkey to try to figure things out for us, and spent many minutes trying every single thing she could to ensure we had everything sorted out for the next part of our trip. THANK YOU for your wonderful service, Silvia hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

This is a review of the Sylvia Hotel, Rhodes Town not of the one in Afandou as many of the reviews are here. Clean, friendly, cheap for Rhodes Town and in a quiet neighbourhood south of the Old Town (about 10 minutes walk gets you into the southern reaches of the Old Towan). Handy for the main ferry port and not too far to walk for the catamaran berth at Marine Gate (I did it with about 25 kilos in rucksack on my back!)

Rooms small, clean, well furnished - didn't get to try the hotel bar as we had to be up early the next morning, but it looked to be quite "local". Will be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

I was dreading this holiday after reading the reviews, this was my first holiday as a solo traveller but as it happens I ended up having a fab time. This was more down to the people I met, Marilyn ,Bill, Sheila and all the other lovely guests there were some great characters. It got of to a dodgy start (3 rooms in 1 hour) but I was to tired to care. The breakfasts were a hoot! the morning we only got 3 slices of toast instead of the usual 4 was seemingly because the slices of bread were larger!!we laughed till we cried!It was basis accomadationbut if you want 5 star pay for 5 star..Poppy was always friendly and the two gentlemen on reception could not do enough to help. the prices in hotel were a bit highif rduced them i'm sure mre people would stay round hotel on an evening.The town of Afandou is lovely plenty of tavernas I never had one bad meal,Then there was the bar on the square where the owner was a right joker with everyone(Richard was mine Mags)There was a festival on when I was there to thank the tourists, people were dressed in traditional Greek dress with free food and drink.magical.
The lady at the end of the drive in the supermarket is just the nicest person as is her son and my thoughts and prayers are with you both. so everything went fine until the last day when i got either bit or stung by something on the beach oh it was so painful and by the end of the day i was convinced it had been a snake(I tend to exagerate a little)So all in all it was a peaceful holiday better than I could of ever imagined.

• Liked — The friendly guests
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Telford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

My friend, her daughter my son and I have just spent a great week at the Sivila. Having read the reviews before I went I was more than anxious about what to expect, and had even thought of cancelling my holiday, my friend had thoughrt of upgrading to another hotel. We were very plesently suprised when we arrived at the Sivila. The reception was clean and bright and the receptionist was friendly and helpful as were all the staff at the hotel, as we arrived in the middle of a heatwave we paid for the aircon which was 56 euros for the week. We had booked bed and breakfast, the room I was in was lovely, although it was basic it was very clean and there were no sockets hanging off the wall. The bathroom was clean and the water was hot the whole week, my towels and bedding were changed 3 times during my stay, the room was cleaned daily and the bin was emptied. The supermarket on the complex was a little expensive, but there was a little supermarket at the end of the drive to the hotel and the lady in there was lovely, she had a smile every day and even gave my friend and I a little gift on our last day. The pool at the Sivila was a good size and exceptionally clean. There were sometimes bugs floating but what can you expect in such a hot climate, the one day I asked for a net to move a few bugs that were floating and within seconds the handyman came and cleaned the pool out. There was no debris in the pool and it was cleaned at least twice a day. The sunloungers were free and there were plenty of them. Most nights we went into Afandou on the ditto, which was great. The Ditto is a little road train which pulls up outside the hotel, takes you along the beach and then into Afandou, it costs two euros per person not bad, on the nights we mised the train the receptionist would call a taxi for us you were asked to pay 20cent for the call and the taxi cost 5 euros. I would strongly recommend eating at Sergios and the Four Seasons, the food is lovely and very reasonable priced, the service is excellent. We would return back to the hotel around 10.00pm, it was not noisey even though the bar was open, I never heard any noise during the night and had no problem sleeping. I did not see any cockroaches during my stay at the hotel. I would recommend going to the Sivila if you want a quiet break to get away from it all it is very peaceful and the people are very friendly and helpful. I am definatley going to try and go next year if not the year after. The Sivila is a 2.5 star hotel, it is not the Ritz but it certainly isn't dirty and full of rude people. All in all I had a most excellent holiday, remember if you want the Ritz then pay for the Ritz, if you want a quiet break to get away try the Sivila.

• Liked — It was peaceful, quiet and I felt relaxed at all times
  • Disliked — No comment
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
anglesey,n.wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

we are a family of 4(2 adults and 2 teens) we stayed at the silvila hotel for 2 weeks on a self catering basis.the self catering facilities were very basic,2 electric rings contained withing the metal sink unit,2 pans, a few items of crockery , a fridge, no kettle, no toaster and no cooking utensils.
room were cleaned daily and clean towels and bedding given every 3 days.
there is a good size swimming pool at the hotel that was kept clean most days and plenty of sun loungers available free of charge.
the only problem with the pool was that the management insisted on playing very loud music from 8am -6pm everyday(this included xmas carols in july!!!)this made relaxing hard.
the majority of the staff were helpfull and fairly friendly.
prices of food and drinks at the hotel were very expensive as with the onsite shop (good supermarket 2 mins walk away at the end of the drive)
the food at the hotel was edible but nothing special
we encounterd a few cockroaches in the bathroom but this is to be expected in a hot country
enetertainment at the hotel was very poor(1 kareokee night and a greek night )the greek night was ok but a little expensive at 30euros each.
the hotel is situated a good 25 min walk from the town (not recomemded in the heat) so we had to budget 6 euros for a taxi each way. local transport does pick up during peak season right outside the door (2 euros each)
afandou itself is lovely and the locals more than ready to help and give advice.
there are plenty of lovely places to eat (i recomend four seasons.mikes bar on the square and neon)
don't be pushed into takin the reps tours they are VERY expensive. diy much cheeper and easy to do. timetable and prices for buses displayed on the town square and the taxi rank nearby also dislpays set fares.
i would not recomend this hotel for anyone with walking disabilities as ther are steep steps into the hotel and the 1 ramp we saw was more like a ski slope with no hand rail.
to sum up the silvila hotel is not too bad for a 2* hotel, but the location may prove to be a problem for some.

• Liked — rooms cleaned every day
  • Disliked — the loud music by the pool and location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sylvia Hotel? Share your experiences!