“Good Hotel, Good Location.” 4 of 5 stars

Mitsis Petit Palais
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   General Griva 3, Rhodes Town 85000, Greece   |
Ranked #33 of 121 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Kent
“Good Hotel, Good Location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Myself and my partner stayed in the Petit Palais Hotel during May 2011. Overall it is a good hotel situated in a really good spot, close to many bars and shops, and a stone's throw to a pebbly beach. It is also within easy walking distance of the harbour and Rhodes old town and castle.

There are some bad points about the hotel, but these are outweighed by the good points:

Good points - Location, Room Cleanliness (cleaned every day), Food was surprisingly very good and the restaurant manager who seats everyone was brilliant (as were the vast majority of the staff).

Bad points - This is a 215 bedroom hotel which was more or less full when we visited. This means that there were probably over 400 people in the hotel, however I would estimate that the pool area caters for around 40 to 50 maximum. We managed to get beside the pool twice in our 10 day stay. Also the bar area is not big enough to cope with this amount of people, and this probably accounts for the bad attitude of Antonis the miserable barman !!

If you can't get by the pool, the beach is very close and sunbeds are 4 euros each for the day. You will get hassled constantly by the Chinese girls offering massages on your sunbed.

When you visit the old town, be careful where you decide to eat or drink. Some of the prices are extortionate. For example we had 2 small beers in the Archipelagos restaurant/bar in the main square and this was 10 Euros, which when you consider the euro is on a par with the pound is London West End prices. Also in most other places a small snack for two including a soft drink is going to cost you around 20 Quid.

We got a boat one day to Faliraki, which is nothing like I expected. It is a peaceful resort with many bars and shops. What was instantly noticeable was that the prices were considerably more reasonable than those in Rhodes Town. Christos bar on the beach charged just over 10 euros for a couple of gyros (kebab), chips and soft drinks, and Vicky the Aussie owner was very friendly. There was also another bar right near the harbour which charged 1.50 euros for a pint of lager.

All in all, a good holiday, but shop around for bargains.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

The Petit Palais is one of the three Mitsis hotels in the area. We felt it was run very well by its staff, who are extremely professional. It is not a recently constructed hotel and comes across as a little dated. We were staying on an All Inclusive basis for two weeks.

Room: Our room was fine, although a little tight for space in the bathroom. The main issue for me was basically the flooring. Both the rooms and the corridors are tiled. This meant that anyone walking past even lightly made quite a noise early in the morning (07:00 ish) although this would not of course be a problem for early risers, or sound sleepers. Also, the obligatory chair situated at the desk/mirror opposite the bed would have benefitted from having felt pads, as noise from these chairs being moved also reduced sleep quality.

Food: We were there early in the season and we felt they were definitely still "getting going" during the course of our stay. For us the best/freshest food is the Pizza Chef. Excellent pizzeria quality food!

As with probably many Hotels around the world, there are some obvious cost-cutting measures, which took some of the edge off the otherwise fairly good impression. I don't have any idea how much money the kitchen is allocated per guest, but the wine varied from not drinkable to just drinkable. (given this is a 4* Hotel, we reasoned it should be a match for at least table wine from an average restaurant? ) The salads and salad ingredients were good and fresh with a wide variety of breads to choose from. The butter at breakfast tastes a bit like margarine and some of the main courses often appeared to have been re-heated and not hot enough (only warm) when served. For one week and half board, I think we'd rate it as perfectly reasonable - for two weeks full/A.I. board we felt it could have been better. We suspect that some of these niggles will dissappear as the hotel begins to run at capacity, - a bit like a busy restaurant.

The reason we went "all inclusive" was to try and avoid expensive restraurants ( due to the exchange rate ) which we were hit by in Cyprus a couple of years ago. However we chose to eat Dinner out on three occasions and lunch on the majority of days. My overall impression is that it's the "all inclusive" option which doesn't really work here, rather than the hotels in general.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

This was my first time in Rhodes so I didn't really know what to expect from the resort or the hotel. I can honestly say that there were no faults with either!.Rhodes is a beautiful city that caters for all tastes.The people are friendly and the shopping and atmosphere is brilliant in the old town and the new.
The Mitsis Petit Palais was a perfect choice as it is within walking distance to the new and old town,the beach and the many bars and cafe's.
The whole hotel is spotlessly clean.Every morning there were an army of maids cleaning windows,floors and all looking very happy and smiling in their work.Our room was cleaned every day with clean towels and our sheets were changed regularly too.The beds were comfortable,the showers were powerful and always with plenty of hot water.
Myself and my teenage daughter stayed 'All Inclusive' (at a very reasonable price) and I helped myself to at least 3 platefuls of the delicious food every sitting.My daughter is a vegetarian and there was alot of choice for her,including the pizza's made in front of you in the wood oven..I have never had such gorgeous pizza's and can't wait to go back and have more!!
All of the staff were very helpful and there seemed to be a good amount of respect among them all for each other and they all go out of their way to make you feel welcomed and enjoy your stay.
There was entertainment on a few of the nights which we also enjoyed and the bar staff were lovely guys..always smiling.
I really can't praise this hotel and it's staff enough. I have stayed in alot of hotels over the years and the atmosphere here is very calming and just what you need when you are on holiday.
We didn't have any bother getting sunbeds by the pool and even though another review states that the pool is not very big, it is big enough and the hotel is a city hotel and not on a complex and I think it is more than adequate for it's purpose.
I don't think i have missed anything out ..There is wi-fi in the lobby and also computers and I would highly recommend anyone to stay in this hotel if you are looking for friendly ,clean accommodation in Rhodes town with brilliant hotel staff excellent food.
There were lots of people staying there that were return guests and I think that speaks for itself..Well done Sarados (Hotel manager) for doing your job brilliantly !! We will see you again for sure!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Tel-Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Very nice hotel.
Friendly staff.
The food is delicious, but not much (for my taste) varied.
Pool is very small.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Absolutely brilliant, sort out any problems there and then, helpful.

Food is fresh, light and delicious.

Cosy and warm atmosphere

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
oisterwijk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Since 2004 I visit this hoitel at least 6 weeks in a year.
It is still Nr. 1 for me. The staff of the hotel let you feel at home and everybody does his admost to forefill all your wishes.
Even in a hotel with this amount of rooms you feel like staying in a family hotel.
The nationalities are very various of the guests and also the wishes.
Some like only breakfast, others lilke we half board but even All Inn is possible.
Although I find this for me not the right option in a city hotel.
But anyway anyone can make his own choise.
I will be again here from 19 of May and I am already looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

The hotel is very clean, and our rooms were sparkling every day thanks to the cleaning staff.

We wouldn't fault it in any way, it was a short walk to the Old City, and a 2 minute walk to the beach (you can see it from the hotel). Also, we found that the staff were extremely helpful.

We were there on an All Inclusive basis, and the food was great. I admit, it did get a little bland for my liking towards the end - but then again I am used to a spicy cuisine so that is through no fault of theirs. We just went around the corner to one of the restaurants if we wanted anything spicy.

We were on the 6th floor, and had the room 614 - which was perfect size, had ample wardrobe space, and pretty much everything we needed (a super big mirror too - great!)

I'm not one to visit one destination more than once, but if I did I would no doubt stay here again. Thankyou, Mitsis Petit Palais, for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mitsis Petit Palais? Share your experiences!