“Ready to take advantage of you” 1 of 5 stars

Old Town, Rhodes Town, Greece
Improve this listing
Ranked #178 of 207 restaurants in Rhodes Town
Cuisines: Greek
Description: Opposite the Tourist Port - just inside the walled area of the old town
San Francisco, California
“Ready to take advantage of you”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

The Gate should be avoided! Large beer, 18 euros!! No mention of the price. The English couple next to Isis were scammed on "large" cocktails priced at 30 EUROS each!! Basically it's a tourist trap. Go elsewhere. Rustico at the end of Socrates is a much more reasonable price!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

0% Recommend
  • Turkish first
gateshead
“Rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

After seeing another review on this place, my title for this review is justified. I sat down in this place and asked for a small and large local beer, to then be presented with two stupid boots one with 2 ltrs and the other 1 ltr followed by a bill for 27 Euros. A young couple also asked for two large cokes and were billed 20 Euros....be warned.. Look out for this place and stay away...

Co Durham, England
“Travellers Beware - ripped off in Rhodes Town!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I would never normally bother to write a negative review- but I was so incensed by my visit to The Gate restaurant which is located in the old town, virtually opposite the Tourist Port in Rhodes Town- I feel I need to warn other unsuspecting visitors.
We were waiting for a ferry to Santorini and had a few hours to kill before departure so we randomly chose this restaurant mainly because they offered us somewhere to leave our cases whilst we ate.
We scanned the menu and it seemed averagely priced for a busy tourist spot. The waiter suggested a mezze of greek dishes which we agreed to. We also asked for some Rose wine -everything arrived - meal was averagely OK - then came the bill - where we discovered the bottle of wine had cost virtually a third of the bill for 4 of us - 60 euros.
Now for some of you travellers that price may not seem an issue but believe me in Greece to pay that much for a bottle of wine you are at award winning levels. For example the folllowing week i was sat in a beautiful restaurant on the edge of the Caldera on Santorini - voted one of the top ten views in the world - the most expensive bottle of Rose on the menu was 28 Euros - and the waiter recommended a bottle that was cheaper..
Back to The Gate - I asked why the waiter had failed to mention how much the bottle of wine was before he offered it to us- and all I got was a shrug that was the price and we had to pay it.
I have been travelling to Greece since 1984 - have visited more times than I care to remember - I keep coming back because I love the friendliness and integrity of the Greek people as a whole - I have never in all that time experienced this type of practice and I had clearly let my guard down. Please steer clear of this restaurant - I probably suspect that it is not actually Greek owned and there lies the issue.

• Visited July 2012