“Good 4 Star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SENTIDO Ixian Grand

You added SENTIDO Ixian Grand to your Saves list
SENTIDO Ixian Grand
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ixia Beach, Rhodes Town 85101, Greece (Formerly Elina Hotel)   |
Ranked #44 of 123 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Bruges, Belgium
“Good 4 Star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

The hotel is situated a bit from the main road next to the beach, there are only a few hotels that have the luxury of having a beach area connecting to the garden of the Hotel, other hotels in the area you have to cross the main road to get to the sea. It’s not a sandy beach but Stone pebbles.
The area is quite even if you stay on the street site of the hotel, cause there’s not to much traffic passing this way.
First glance is this is Grand, and It is, nice reception, nice garden, clean pool and helpful people.
But getting to my room in the garden suites I had to drag my bags up the stairs, nobody to help, I got help in 3 stars hotels with my bags, but ok were young and it saves a tip. but I would have expected this from this kind of hotel. The room was larger than the average hotel rooms I’ve come across, and that was a plezand surprise. The Furniture Looked new “ used” . Everything was there, including a safe and mini bar, good sized LCD TV ( that I never put on when I’m on holiday ) .
The room was cleaned daily and so was the bathroom. Bed sheets were changed 2 times the week we were there.
Arco did the job, wasn’t noisy and bed was good enough to get a good night sleep.
The restaurant, well, your guided every night to your place by the manager of the restaurant and after staring at a wall for 2 dinners I wanted to get another place, that Proved to be difficult although there was plenty of space else were, But after asking firmly but polite it was no problem.
The food was good, not excellent, but Good . there was a variation of food to choose from daily and the breakfast gave you a good choice to start the day, ranging from the English to the Continental Breakfast.
There was a poolside restaurant that was only open during the day and I can certainly recommend to eat something here, it’s a la carte, plenty of choice, good, quick Service and Best food I Ate during the stay at the Hotel, but the taste of food is personal and not everybody has the same taste.
You also have the choice of eating in the Black and white restaurant were you have a choice a la carte . I was a little disappointed here, the food was good but medium warm and was served much to fast , one thing came after another without any pause, a little strange but maybe they wanted to close early .
The Service at the Bar is correct, polite and fast. Try one of their cocktails, We liked them…
The pool is not too big and there is no separate kids basin. Some of the garden chairs are worn and need to be replaced as are the cushions, there were a lot of them with filthy stains, or smelled like cat … . the cushions are clamped between the Chairs at night so Rain and shine, cats and dog’s can just do their thing, they should take them inside.
There is plenty of pool, garden and Beach space, but Too little chairs and We were their in the low Season.. there was no animation, music or anything else around the pool side, just the way we like it.
You do get a beach towel card, don’t lose it or you’ll pay for it.
the pool Bar is run by Two lovely Romainian girls that have time for a chat when it's not to busy,
Outside the hotel there isn’t much happening but on the main road, a small stroll from the hotel there are restaurants and Bazar’s, were you can buy food or drinks at a cheaper prize than the hotel.
Getting around On Rhodos is Easy, there are busses going all over the island, but the best way is to get your own car .
there's a Car Retal service at the hotel available, that was constantly manned from early in the morning till late a night. Didn’t rent a from them but the prices were cheaper than the Avis Rental that comes along upon your request.
Renting with Avis you’re sure that your insured and the price is all inclusive. Someone scratch the car over the hole length while we were in Rhodes City, but When retuning the car they didn’t charge us extra.
All in All we had e very good Time at this place, Quite, nice people, Would come back again.

Room Tip: Not all suites have sea view, but rooms are bigger then the main hotel building.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We spend 7 nights in Ixian and I can say that I'm still confused if a should recommend or not the hotel to somebody else, so I will point out the positive and negative parts:
POSITIVE: Excellent location probably one of the few hotels in Rhodes which has direct access to the beach. The location allows either using the pool or the take a bath directly in the sea or lying on the sun next to the pool area. I notice that in Rhodes in most of the hotels you must cross the street in order to have access on the beach.
- The gardens and pool area are amazing. Well maintain it gives you the impression that you are in an exotic place. The sun beds are enough for everybody and beach towels available.
NEGATIVE:
- It started right from the first day at check in when realized that we booked a room with garden view and we received a room with deserted field view and a so called "clean room"- all the walls were dirty with marks from the previous guests, the bathrobes had long black hair on it and very jaded, the room chair had white stains of tooth paste and desk was full of cigarette ash. In the bathroom the glass window was dirty with soap from the other guests, the drain the same and the mirror were half wiped. The windows from the balcony was dirty and the room floor as well. I called the reception to ask for somebody to come and inspect the room and they send the cleaning lady instead!! No interest in guest remarks from management! I went down and I asked for a different room according with the booking and a clean room as it is normal to receive at the check in. The housekeeping manager came with me upstairs finally to see my remarks and to show me a different room. She had no comments or apologizes for the room cleaning but instead she insisted that the view of the deserted field is a good one as the land price in that area has a value of a million euro “A million euro view" she said!! We went in the second room to see it and she asks me if the view and the cleaning were ok for me. The view was ok but the cleaning was the same so I gave up and accepted the room as it was. During the entire stay the room cleaning was for 2 stars hotel "fast and dirty".
Reception staff needs intensive training for guest relationship and friendliness. The calls and the discussions were always more important than the guest in front, no proactive attitude sometimes leaving the guest at one desk and moving to the other without a specific reason (It happened to me twice)no eye contact or greeting.
Restaurant: the food is enough but average, the personnel is very nice and attentive.
The services have nothing to do with a 5 star hotel. Too bad because they have a fantastic technic base but the services are for maximum 3 stars. In my opinion the management is not involved at all and is spending most of the time in the office and no time in the hotel to supervise and correct the mistakes.

Room Tip: Ask rooms with interior garden view if you booked a regular room.
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We just completed our 2-night stay at the Ixian Grand -- overall, a very disappointing experience. The hotel advertises itself as a 5 star luxury resort, but in my experience it is more in line with a 3 star. The fault in this hotel is that it does not deliver the 5 star experience it promises. Potential guests should go in expecting a decent 3 star, and negotiate a price accordingly, and they will not be disappointed.

The Good: The hotel has a very good pool area overlooking the ocean. The grounds are well kept and very lush with palm trees and a green lawn that is well maintained. The outdoor bar is also very pleasant, especially at night and the bar staff was very friendly even if the drinks were a tad over-priced. The atmosphere is worth it. Also, the rooms are decent and clean and the air conditioning worked well which, unfortunately, is not the case in all hotels in sunny hot Greece.

The Bad: In general when I see a hotel advertised as a 5 star I expect excellent service, high-end accommodations, better than average meals and a few pleasant surprises. The Ixian does not deliver on any of these. The hotel staff is generally competent but I did not find them too eager to please. When we were checking in there seemed to be more than a few people coming to the reception desk to complain about one thing or another, the staff listened politely but did not really offer any solutions other than to say it was hotel policy that one thing or another was the way it was. Accommodations were decent but did not really resemble the rooms you see advertised on the web page – which always makes you feel like you are being sold a bill of goods (because you are). The bathroom accessories (shampoo, body wash, soap) were of the variety you would find in a 3 star hotel or lower. Also, the dressers and closets seemed a bit worn and probably due for renovation. We were staying with children in the room and had asked for the pull out coach to be made. It was but it had a flat sheet and not a fitted sheet which made it a bit messy for sleeping. Also, the bathroom did not have a fan in it so when someone used it became rather stuffy and smelly. But I would have to say the worst thing about the hotel were the meals. We had breakfast in the main dining hall. I have had 5 star breakfast buffets in places like the Grand Bretagne or Four Seasons, and the Ixian did not even come close. The food quality was mediocre at best, the sausages were fatty, cheese selection poor, and I noticed some of the glasses at the juice tray were not as clean as I would have liked. Again, much more in line with a 3 star. The last night we were there we had spent the day exploring Rhodes and decided to just eat at the main dining room since there really were no other dining options at the hotel. Unfortunately, the dress code did not allow shorts and so one of our party that neglected to bring long pants could not join us. Now I would understand this policy if the dining facilities were such that they warranted a dress code or that this code was universally applied but neither was the case. First of all it seems that it was perfectly acceptable for ladies to wear shorts as a young lady in front of us wore, what can only be described diplomatically as, short shorts. Once inside the dining hall it resembled more the kind of facility you would find at a summer camp for over active pre-teens than a facility worthy of a 5 star resort. There were children running all over the place, the floors were dirty, and the only dining option was the buffet. So I was rather confused as to why there was a dress code at all. Just to add insult injury the food quality was a little wanting – again 3 star not 5 star.

So, overall, I would say if you are going to stay here negotiate a decent price. We paid EUR 150 per room per night, and to be honest I felt a little ripped off. Also, don’t go in expecting a 5 star hotel, this is by no means a 5 star hotel and any rating agency that gives this hotel the same rating as the Grand Bretagne, has, in my mind, no legitimacy whatsoever. If you can get the rooms at a decent price, are not expecting too much in terms of food quality, want a decent clean air conditioned room, and a great pool for the kids you will be happy with this hotel. If you go in with expectations greater than that you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Do not really resemble picture son web site.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks from the 27th July-10th August. We are aged 23 and 24 and enjoy quiet/ relaxing holidays with the choice of good bars, restaurants or night life for the odd night.

We arrived at the hotel at 5pm Rhodes time, we were greeted at reception by some very friendly staff who checked us in swiftly and promptly. We were not shown to our room but were pointed in the right direction. On arrival to our room ( a standard room- not one of the suites that is available at this hotel) we were satisfied by the size of the room and over joyed that it had substantial air conditioning in the room! There is NO evidence of air conditioning in ANY other areas of the hotel and for us this is the main problem we had on our holiday. There is a poor level of air conditioning, not only in this hotel, but in Rhodes too! We found this hard to bear at meal times as it was hot and sticky in the restaurant and there was nowhere to escape to during the day for a break from the high temperatures.

On our first evening we ate in the hotel restaurant, the food was VERY AVERAGE, a good selection but missing what we would call the 5 star edge! Gentlemen must wear trousers in the evenings- which is uncomfortable due to no air con! To our ABSOLUTE HORROR there were CATS in the dining room, roaming freely around, standing on their hind legs and eating off tables that hadn't been cleared! We were horrified! The guests who weren't visiting from England seemed to find them adorable and were feeding them! I have to say that after the first night this was not a problem as they did shut the ceiling to floor glass windows much to our relief! However, safe to say this was not a good first impression!

There is not much entertainment in the hotel during the evening, and the hotel bar is pricey too so we decided to have a walk to the local area. We found out then that our hotel was in the middle of an uncompleted area of Ixia, there were disserted buildings and building sites EVERYWHERE! It is at least a 10 minute walk to the bars and restaurants and supermarket/ shops each time you go out. There is a distinct lack of high quality restaurants, even in Rhodes Town too.

Another thing that we feel we must bring to your attention is that some of the staff are amazing! However, others are very poor! One night we waited ONE HOUR for drinks at the Greek night, despite asking 4 members of staff!! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

The pool area is lovely, there is a nice breeze during the day, the sun loungers overlook the beach (pebble beach) and the pools are great, if not a little cold for some! However, there were not enough sun loungers for everyone staying at our hotel, we managed to get one each day by putting our towels out at 9am before breakfast. A good few loungers are broken- either missing a wheel or slats.

Rhodes in general has very little to see or do, we felt once you had been into Rhodes Town you had seen everything. We must reccommend the Water Park in Falaraki though if you enjoy this kind of thing.

All in all we had a good holiday but the main reasons we won't return are:

1) No/ very poor air con in public areas
2) The area is almost disserted for a good 10 minute walk
3) Some of the staff had very poor service skills
4) Rhodes has very little to do/ see
5) We have stayed in 4 star hotels that were miles better than this hotel that claims to be a 5 star hotel!

The hotel just lacks the extra you expect for a 5 star hotel and the money you pay for it!

We hope you find this review useful.

Kiryat Ono , Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed for a weekend ,was too short but we enjoyed every second of it !
the pool was perfectly clean and beautiful ,The service of the staff was very polite and kind .
the environment and the view really gets you into the vacation feeling !
during the day it was quiet around the pool .
the sea is 10 meters from the hotel's grass and the view was great - you could choose between the pool/hotel and the sea !
Second time in Rhodes , last time was at "Olympic Palace" which was nice also but this one we won't forget.
We love Rhodes and I hope we'll come back again .
I will definitely Recommend this Hotel !

Rabat, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed there 10days in July and we are happy because we have made the right choice. It was the first time for us in Rhodes. Everything was perfect the location, the service, the food, the people.
We have decided my family and I to return there next summer. I recommand The Grand Maisonnette . My son has enjoyed the private pool. and the dedicated restaurant is perfect managed by a great ALEX

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Loved it. Grand suites definitely worth the extra cash. Separate dining area. 7year old daughter loved her private pool and having a huge sofa to herself. Weather Great, lovely breeze that made the 38 degrees bearable.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to SENTIDO Ixian Grand? Share your experiences!