“Great Hotel for the Money! Great owners & Great Service!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spot Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rhodes Town
Spot Hotel
You added Spot Hotel to your Saves list
Odos Perikleous 21, Rhodes Town 85100, Greece   |
Ranked #33 of 123 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Monica, California
“Great Hotel for the Money! Great owners & Great Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

It was our first trip to Greece and we decided to make it an island hopping adventure. I'm a Knights Templar Geek and there was no way I could go to Greece and not stop over on the historic island of Rhodes. We weren't sure if we should stay in a beautiful beach town like Lindos or somewhere in the wonderous Valley of the Butterflies. ...or in Old Town Rhodes, which is the oldest inhabited medieval town in Europe and a Unesco World Heritage site. The only thing I cared about was that we would see the Palace of the Grand Masters, the Avenue of the Knights and the former sight of the Colossus of Rhodes. With that in mind, we decided to stay directly in Old Town.

We searched and searched for a hotel in Old Town that was reasonably priced and which had some character or unique personality. All the hotels we saw were modernized and lifeless. I was about to give up and book one of those hotels, when I came upon the Spot Hotel on Perikleus Street, which lies smack in the heart of the former Jewish Quarter. The small hotel was located near the "seahorse" fountain near the city's Port Entrance Gate (aka the Sea Gate and Marine Gate..the locals told us they refer to it as "Colonne" entrance ?? The cab drivers seemed to know what we meant when we asked for it).

Spot hotel is decorated in (modern) Medieval style furnishings and artwork. The details are very pleasing from the Rose door knobs to dark wooden furnishings and classical medieval artwork. We had a bit of difficulty reaching the hotel, as the airport taxi driver did not know of the Spot Hotel or of Perkleous street. He got us near old town and then began asking other cab drivers, who gave him a razing, but eventually told him how to reach the hotel. Cars have restricted access to old town, so when you arrive, be sure to note which entrance gate your hotel is near, this will help if you should leave the city and need to get back or if you get lost and need to find your way home. The hotel is small and dark inside, but i'm sure the darkness is in intentional immitation of the dark ages. There is a small lobby with couch and television, a kitchen/dining area just to the left and a hallway which leads to the back "patio" area, where there are more outdoor tables for dining. The front of the hotel faces the very small Perikleous street which is busy with rows of shops, but it is not a bustling main street, as you will find just a few blocks away at the Evreon Matirion area (means "Square of the Martyred Jews" - a tribute to the Jews from this area, who were rounded up and sent to Auschwitz. It is also known as "Seahorse fountain").

The rooms are of adequate size (small if you have a lot of luggage - which is typical in Europe, the UK and many other parts of the world). The bed was sufficiently comfortable. We had no issues with lumps or springs or in getting to sleep. There is a small toilet area. Barely big enough for one, but that suits me just fine - I hate having to share the bathroom when I am trying to get dressed. Our room (I believe it was number 4?), had a very strong breeze coming through it, when opened - which was nice. Looking out the window, there wasn't much of a view - bascially just a tree and the hotel's back patio below. There was a large, heavy armoire which was a very period piece (a reproduction?) and was big enough to fit everything we cared to store in it. There is a room safe, which we didn't need. There was no need for A/C while we were there, the breeze from the window was plenty enough to keep us cool. The hotel lies on a small side street which juts off of the "Seahorse Square", which is bustling with people, restaurants (some open til 11pm, some open til 5am), but it was quiet enough that we had no trouble getting to sleep. We wer quite happy with our room.

Breakfast consisted of toast, rolls, pastries, juices, coffee, cereal, resh fruit and yogurt..a smaller spread than other places we had been, but good enough to get us going in the morning. It was set up in the downstairs dining area in a "serve yourself" fashion. The hotel owner/bellhop (the owner's son), Michael was never far away and alway ready to help you with everything you may need, whether it be directions to a good sea food place, where to catch a cab, whether or not to bother with certain questionable attractions, etc. We took quite a liking to Michael while were were at the hotel and we were sad to say goodbye when it was time to go.

We spent very little of our time at the hotel, as we were out and about all day, but we had absolutely NO issues while we were in house. Anything we could so much as suggest that we might want, Michael was ready to help us find. If you think it's easy to find a good Mexican Place in Greece, you will really appreciate the likes of Michael, when you attempt to locate such a thing.

The hotel has a roof garden area, where you can sit and watch the sunset, stare at the city walls which surround the entire city or at certain times of the day, be amazed at the enourmous cruise ships which float past, behind the other buildings of the city, leaving one dazed and disoriented if you do not know to expect such a thing. It's as if a building had picked itself up and is moving slowly down the street!

Of all the places we visited in Rhodes, the Spot Hotel is the place where we feel we got the most for our money. It isn't really a family place (small rooms, no children's play areas, no pool, etc), but that's why we chose to stay here. I would highly recommend this place to anybody looking to get their money's worth out of a stay in Old Town, but I especially recommend this for couples/romance and history buffs.

The city of Rhodes is completely walkable (very few cars can fit on its streets - even scooters aren't as abundant as one would guess they would be), there are ancient ruins everywhere from temples, palaces, byzantine structures, etc. Wherever you walk, you are within inches of something ancient and/or important. There are numerous streets that don't even have official names (so be sure to note your landmarks as you walk around town), every corner you turn will lead you to another fork in the road with tiny streets and alleys shooting off from it in every direction, twisting and turning upon themselves. All of them loaded with goods for sale, bars, restaurants, art galleries, etc. For a fee, on certain days you can walk along the city walls (beware because the day we went, they weren't allowing this). This walk takes a couple of hours and affords you views of the ocean, the ancient city and all it contains. One of the bigger dissappointments of our trip was not being able to make this walk. There are sandy beaches to the north which are in Elli - a beach town that also has a casino in a fantastic old building for those of you that gamble. We walked there in about an hour (maybe a bit less?). You will need a passport, you must be 23 years old and attire is casual during the day and more business casual at night. There is also a registration fee (about $15 USD). I'm told there are other Casino's near-by, but I never came across any of them. Elli beach has some sand, but the closer to the water you go, the more it becomes rocky, which makes it a bit hard on the fee to swim, so bring your sea shoes. And most sandy beaches are packed full of tourists/families, which make a relaxing day at the beach a difficult task. Loungers w/ umbrella can run anywhere from free (at beaches further from the main towns) to 7 Euros per day (which is highway robbery, IMHO). Further south are the attractions of Kimrose, Valley of the Butterflies and the ancient city of Lindos, which are all things not to be missed. I think it best, to pick one day of your trip, rent a car and drive out of Old Town to see the sights. You won't need or want a car the rest of the time. They can't be brought into the city and there isn't a lot of free parking nearby. Also, you won't need it while in Old Town.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good at Spot Hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at Spot for 3 nights in September. The hotel is in a perfect location, Michael is a very obliging owner. The only problem we encountered was the mattress on our bed was a little tired and a little low to the ground. The breakfast was fine. Good to be able to go up onto the roof area with our own alcohol and nibbles. Definately loved staying in the Old Town and we would like to go back and spend some more time in Rhodes. For the price we paid the room was good.
Cheers Brian and Marilyn from Australia

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Micheal is very friendly and knowledgeable about the town and island. Very welcoming and an excellent host. The location is great. The place has style. And a good price.

On the other hand. The bathroom was not clean--previous occupants hair on the floor, everything still wet. I asked for it to be cleaned again, it was, right away. But the situation was not much better--basically the bathrooms need a thorough scrubbing--grout is black in the corners, peeling paint. Clealiness issues in the rest of the room as well--stains on bed cover. Rug looked grimy.

When I was leaving I (thought) I had lost the key to my safe. Turns out there was no master key. of course I then found the key--but you would think a hotel would be a little more prepared for disorganized guest like myself.

Strange list of "policies" on the back of door--seemed a bit agressive and defensive in tone. An example was the long explanation of the problems associated with consuming food or drink not bought at the hotel on the property (details not important). This tone seemed completely at odds with Michaels warm and welcoming personality. Possibly was written by former owner (michaels dad) who is something of a character. And in a way the uneveness of the experience added to the quirkyness of the hotel. Would probably try another place next time--but only because there seemed to be a lot of equally great options around town.

Matress was worn out. Did not try the breakfast--which was not included and didnt look great and there were better options nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
RhodesBasil, Owner at Spot Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Hello to all,I was not shocked,but i was hurt by this review.If it were true my response would have been explanatory and apologetic. We have never been accused for dirty anything especially our sheets and bathrooms,this gentleman as my son would inform me daily,would lose his keys anywhere from 2 to 3 times .We were there to assist him. whenever he needed,so i dont see why he would say we are disorganized. the sign on the back door states info for guests to read when they have settled in. about the food and beverages I state,Dear guests the Hotel is licensed to sell alcohol and snacks ,we are not insisting that you buy from us,If you shop elsewhere please hold on to your receipts in case of a tax department instigation,so that I would have proof that these beverages were bought elsewhere,or else I would have to pay a 5000 euro fine because i would be accused of not issuing a receipt.Break fast is a self served buffet all you can have,no limits. includes abundant coffee, tea, hot chocolate, different herb teas ,hot fresh rolls, pound cake, OJ, cookies,boiled eggs, cheese ,
Cereal, and last but not least I shook this Mans hand once and welcomed him, I dont know why I'm a considered a Character. I guess there is no satisfying some people.

Lee Michael Mavros
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the Spot Hotel in mid June for 4 nights.

In our opinion the hotel was good but not as great as the rating suggests. If there was a rating between average and very good that would be our choice. Both average and very good are not a fitting rating.

I think alot depends on which room you actually get. We were in number 7 which was small but the other rooms did look a lot bigger.
The bathroom was a little small which is not so much of a problem but the shower was way to small even by european standards.

Breakfast was good, self service type of set up which provided all we needed for a start to the day.

Location was great, with bars and restaurants everywhere although most where very touristy which was no surprise.

The nice beach clubs are around a 15min walk from hotel.

The restaurant Micheal recommended to us was average at best. Had much better meals elsewhere for half the price.

The Travel agency Micheal recommended to us was excellent. We hired a car and drove to Lindos for the day and we also purchased a day trip to Symi Islands and a ferry ticket to Santorini. All where very reasonably priced.

We just think for the price we may have gotten a little bit better room.

Room Tip: stay away from room 7
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Doncaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in August. Cute little hotel, shower room pretty small but not a problem for us. Michael is really friendly. Breakfast is basic but there are lots of places nearby if you need something more. Was very hot when we were there but soon found the turbo switch on the aircon so this helped a lot at night. We didn't read the notice on the back of the door so didn't realise we needed to hang a notice on the door knob to getour room cleaned so watch out for that if you're there more than one night. We liked the hotel and the little terrace and would definitely go back again. It's so central for everything in the old town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I simply loved this hotel,it was a pity, I could stay only one night,but I definitely will come back!The whole hotel reminded me of the time of the knights and it was great!! My room was filled up with great painted pictures,rugs were laid down, so it felt really nice and cosy. There is an awesome terrace on the roof.Michael was very helpful and kind! The hotel is situated in the middle of the old town,everything is walking distance there, even the harbor is like 5min walk.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Marquette, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I can only agree wholeheartedly with the other reviews published here. The Spot Hotel has got to be one of the best hotels in Rhodes. The location is fabulous -- just a few steps off one of the main squares (The Square of the Jewish Martyrs), yet very quiet. The decor in the public areas is traditional (maroon curtains, cushions, Greek portraits on the stone walls, wooden furniture, little courtyards, and a rooftop sitting area overlooking the Old Town.

When you step into the comfortable, cool lobby after tramping through the hot streets, you find yourself in a homey, cozy atmosphere. I spent some time just lolling around on the lobby couches, watching the news and enjoying chatting with Michael, the manager.

Lee, the father, has now given over the management of this family-run hotel to Michael, his son.

When we arrived, one of the reading lights in our room did not work, and it was quickly taken care of. When we remarked on Lee's amazing English, we learned that he is an American from New York, who returned, like many Greek hotel owners, to run the family business,

Our room (number 8) was a triple, with a large king sized bed, and a twin next to it. We used this for our suitcases. The room, decorated beautifully, with sheer maroon curtains, and a lovely matching spread faced the street, but was completely quiet. The bathroom was small, but everything worked well -- no problems there.

Breakfast was great with a coffee machine giving out as much as we liked, cereals, breads, juices, fruits, boiled eggs, and much else.

The Spot is just moments away from all the major sights of Rhodes Town. We had planned to rent a car and drive into the countryside on our second day there, but there was so much to see -- the Palace of the Grand Masters, the Archeological Museum, New Rhodes, the ancient walls, old mosques, the Jewish quarter, and the many interesting shops -- that we didn't venture outside Rhodes Town. That will happen on our second visit to Rhodes.

When visiting Rhodes Town, be sure and venture into the narrow streets in the interior of the town, beyond the tourist streets and squares. Here you will find many interesting little restaurants (lunches for very low prices), shops, quiet squares and a fabulous old Greek atmosphere. We enjoyed this especially at night, expecting to see a monk with a cowl or a knight passing us by in the dark. Lee told us that Rhodes is a safe city and we were not to worry about crime if we ventured off the beaten path.

Finally, Michael is especially to be commended for helping us when we left on a very early flight by rising at 5 am to call a cab for us and making sure we got off on time. Thank you, Michael.

Room Tip: We loved Room 8. It is of good size and beautifully decorated (although the other rooms look lovely...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Spot Hotel? Share your experiences!